Bought a new GoPro Hero 3 silver to play with this spring/summer

WTBTraction

forum member
Reaction score
Couldnt be happier! Had some time this weekend to snap a quick vid.

WTBTraction

forum member
Reaction score
Nice! Does that come with editing software or do you have to get that separate?

Thanks! No software, but to usually edit my videos I use Sony Vegas Pro. Typically Windows Movie Maker works well for most people.

chaoscentral

forum member
Reaction score
I love the sound of that Paxton! Is that a BOV I hear?

I recently got a Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition myself and have been messing with some camera angles and placement for the best sound. I still haven't tried the closed door outside the car here's some test videos I took, one at night with camera outside of car, the other in the car head mounted during the day.

Last edited:

donbrujo

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks! No software, but to usually edit my videos I use Sony Vegas Pro. Typically Windows Movie Maker works well for most people.

Sweet, I've been wanting to buy one. Would you guys know the difference between the gopro2 and 3?

chaoscentral

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet, I've been wanting to buy one. Would you guys know the difference between the gopro2 and 3?

It depends what level of GoPro 3 you are talking about.

GoPro 3 White is equivalent to a GoPro Hero 1 image sensor with better audio, maxes out at 1080p@30fps

GoPro 3 Silver is equivalent to a GoPro Hero 2 image sensor with better audio. Same max in terms of resolution and frame rate, but better quality video than the white and Hero 1, with the exception of higher frame rate and a few WB options on a few other resolutions.

GoPro 3 Black is in a league by itself. It can do 4k HD @ 15fps, 2.7k HD @ 30fps, 1080p @ 60fps. Night shots are also way better. It also has Protune mode and different WB levels on any resolution which basically takes RAW footage of whatever the lens sees allowing you to do some cool stuff in post. It's the most powerful one out there.

(for reference the videos I posted above were shot in 2.7k @ 30fps in Protune mode and RAW white balance, color corrected in Cineform studio)

Now with that said, all 3 GoPro 3s have Wifi built in, while on the Hero 2 that's reserved for an $80 wifi Backpac. The audio capabilities of all 3 Hero 3s are lightyears better than the older GoPros, and when it comes to getting car related film audio is a huge role.

The way I see it, if you can afford it get the Black edition, because its better to have a few features you might not use than to need a few features that you just don't have because you got a different model. If you don't really care too much about the Protune and added resolutions and modes go with the Silver. But I don't think I'd go for a Hero 2 now that the 3s are out.

Last edited:

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
My first time-lapse with the GoPro Hero 3 Black.

:thumb2:

Thought I would share, looks pretty cool at night!

I plan to have some more once I get the suction cup mount and the car back running.

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
GoPros are awesome! Fwiw the hero 3 silver has protune as well. I got it bc it still has tons of features and I don't need all the extras the black has so no need to spend $100 more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S II Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2

dougie b

Reaction score
i love go pro cameras! i spend my extra time these days trying to come up with new mounts! My current project is a streetable RC truck geared for 85mph..... With 2 gopro's on it.....one with live video feed to drive straight from the driver's seat

great video man, let me know if you ever need a chase vehicle for those low angles

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back