Brembo Brakes and Rotor Installation

Ealtenburg

Eleanor07
Reaction score
Considering an upgrade to Brembo Brakes and Slotted Rotors is this a wise choice?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The guys running stockers claim not much true braking advantage for street. But I sure do like them. Not sure slotted make much diff.

Excuse the dirty wheel!

IMG_2114.jpg

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
Unless you track your car, they are more for show then anything else. Just do not get the dimpled ones...

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I just installed GT500 Brembos (pre 2013), and I like them so far. I haven't tracked them yet, but this is where they say you'll see the biggest improvements over stock. Less brake fade after repeated high speed stops. On the street, honestly, not much difference over stock according to my butt dyno . But they sure do help fill up the wheel barrells if you are running an "open style" wheel.

samolet

forum member
Reaction score
Unless you track your car, they are more for show then anything else. Just do not get the dimpled ones...

So I would like not sign it. For me, the Brembos were with the best upgrade!
For Show???? NO! everyone else stupid VW Polo GTI would beat me here in the mountains downhill. or even more embarrassing to the Nürburgring...(who can brake later, is longer faster ;-)):beerchug2:

Not for nothing the GT 500 has the Brembos standard equipment. Go for it!!

...The standard brake is rubbish, just my opinion

but it must not Slotted Rotors be located. today I would take this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2014-M...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7046c15d&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
So I would like not sign it. For me, the Brembos were with the best upgrade!
For Show???? NO! everyone else stupid VW Polo GTI would beat me here in the mountains downhill. or even more embarrassing to the Nürburgring...(who can brake later, is longer faster ;-)):beerchug2:

Not for nothing the GT 500 has the Brembos standard equipment. Go for it!!

...The standard brake is rubbish, just my opinion

but it must not Slotted Rotors be located. today I would take this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2014-M...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7046c15d&vxp=mtr

I was referring to the slotted rotors being mainly for show, not the Brembo's. :beerchug2:

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Do you need them to go to the grocery store? Nope.

Do you want them anyway? Yep.

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
I just did this swap last week. I picked up some <300mi take-off brembos from a 2012 track pack car from the classifieds section here. I'm definitely happy with the upgrade for the price. I also ordered new OEM rear rotors and OEM rear pads that come on the new brembo pack cars. I would definitely recommend doing this for the rear brakes. I installed only the front brembos first and the brake bias was way off. The front wheels just wanted to lock and activate ABS too early. I don't even think the stock rear pads were grabbing lol. It was horrible. Once I got the new rear brakes on to match, it was a huge difference. The pedal feel is really great. They feel very powerful and stopping from high speed is effortless. The all out 60-0 stopping distance obviously isn't improved since the tires are the limiting factor in stopping the car, but everything else about the braking experience is much improved over the stock brakes. I would do it if you can find the right deal!

I honestly just did it for appearance though :dunce:

Haven't had a chance to get any good pictures since I painted them, but these cell phone photos show how sick they look behind 18's.

9474904823_b12db4681b_c.jpg

9474901745_0f04acf951_c.jpg

R1V3R5

5-Oh!
Reaction score
I just did this swap last week. I picked up some <300mi take-off brembos from a 2012 track pack car from the classifieds section here. I'm definitely happy with the upgrade for the price. I also ordered new OEM rear rotors and OEM rear pads that come on the new brembo pack cars. I would definitely recommend doing this for the rear brakes. I installed only the front brembos first and the brake bias was way off. The front wheels just wanted to lock and activate ABS too early. I don't even think the stock rear pads were grabbing lol. It was horrible. Once I got the new rear brakes on to match, it was a huge difference. The pedal feel is really great. They feel very powerful and stopping from high speed is effortless. The all out 60-0 stopping distance obviously isn't improved since the tires are the limiting factor in stopping the car, but everything else about the braking experience is much improved over the stock brakes. I would do it if you can find the right deal!

Haven't had a chance to get any good pictures since I painted them, but these cell phone photos show how sick they look behind 18's.

Car looks good, as always. Today I found some chips in my OEM wheels. Good reason to change them out for something that clears Brembos.

28ONE

Reaction score

9474904823_b12db4681b_c.jpg

9474901745_0f04acf951_c.jpg

Did you repaint the calipers?

Considering an upgrade to Brembo Brakes and Slotted Rotors is this a wise choice?

You do stop quicker at high speeds. Not much difference in stop and go daily driving. For me sitting on 20s, it was worth it. If you do go with Brembos, don't use OEM pads, they dust like crazy. Also, make sure your wheels will clear the calipers...

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score

This was not the case for me. No issues with brake bias using the stock rear pads, rotors, and calipers, and I have done two autocrosses with the set up, which involved some heavy braking. Maybe it's because my stock set up had the larger rotors which came on the 2011+ models. (I know that sounded kinda snarky, but I certainly didn't mean for it to.) Besides, I thought the rear brakes were the same on all Mustangs until the 2013 GT500. Anyone feel free to correct me if that is wrong.

Mustang259

forum member
Reaction score
I have Brembos and really like the set up, to me they are better than standard brakes and do not fade dramatically under repeated braking.
You might want to check out Vorshlag.com and look at thier Brembo upgrade package, some good info also.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
How would something like the TPS rotor, pad, fluid and SS line upgrade compare to just brembo fronts? The TPS kit is $550 for front and rear and Ill probably have 600+ in just front brembos. Any suggestions? I believe the fluid and lines will dramatically help the braking performance on the stock calipers but I wanted to see if anyone has been able to compare.

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
Car looks good, as always. Today I found some chips in my OEM wheels. Good reason to change them out for something that clears Brembos.

:beer: Yeah buddy!! I bet you could get a fair amount for your stock wheels too if you wanted to sell them. Those 19's are great looking.. and they sell replicas on americanmuscle so you know people want the style.

Did you repaint the calipers?

I did! I just used Duplicolor caliper paint from my local auto parts store. It was like $8 lol. I was planning on using clear coat on top of the paint and the new decals, but it was not needed. I was very surprised at how well the Duplicolor turned out. I also painted the rotor hats with Duplicolor "Aluminum" ultra high temp paint. I did this to match the new rear rotors, which are bright silver.

9495363197_ef56c4cf43_c.jpg

I have yet to clean them though, so I'm hoping they still look as good under all the brake dust that's on them right now.

This was not the case for me. No issues with brake bias using the stock rear pads, rotors, and calipers, and I have done two autocrosses with the set up, which involved some heavy braking. Maybe it's because my stock set up had the larger rotors which came on the 2011+ models. (I know that sounded kinda snarky, but I certainly didn't mean for it to.) Besides, I thought the rear brakes were the same on all Mustangs until the 2013 GT500. Anyone feel free to correct me if that is wrong.

Nice! Good info. I think the difference here is that I was running on the original pads from 2007 with almost 80k miles on them. They were getting pretty low lol. The brembo equipped cars do have a more aggressive pad on the rears, but other than that the rotors and calipers are the same across all models.

Also someone said to not use the OEM pads because they dust like crazy. They are right. They dust like I have never seen before. It's ridiculous. I wish I would have been warned before I did stockers.

28ONE

Reaction score
How would something like the TPS rotor, pad, fluid and SS line upgrade compare to just brembo fronts? The TPS kit is $550 for front and rear and Ill probably have 600+ in just front brembos. Any suggestions? I believe the fluid and lines will dramatically help the braking performance on the stock calipers but I wanted to see if anyone has been able to compare.

The TPS setup would be a huge improvement over stock. As for Brembos, at high speed sure there's a difference. Day to day driving, couldn't really tell but then again you have 492rwhp. In all honesty, Brembos mainly for the looks...

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
The TPS setup would be a huge improvement over stock. As for Brembos, at high speed sure there's a difference. Day to day driving, couldn't really tell but then again you have 492rwhp. In all honesty, Brembos mainly for the looks...

I might have to start saving up then... lol

28ONE

Reaction score
:beer: Yeah buddy!! I bet you could get a fair amount for your stock wheels too if you wanted to sell them. Those 19's are great looking.. and they sell replicas on americanmuscle so you know people want the style.

I did! I just used Duplicolor caliper paint from my local auto parts store. It was like $8 lol. I was planning on using clear coat on top of the paint and the new decals, but it was not needed. I was very surprised at how well the Duplicolor turned out. I also painted the rotor hats with Duplicolor "Aluminum" ultra high temp paint. I did this to match the new rear rotors, which are bright silver.

9495363197_ef56c4cf43_c.jpg

I have yet to clean them though, so I'm hoping they still look as good under all the brake dust that's on them right now.

Nice! Good info. I think the difference here is that I was running on the original pads from 2007 with almost 80k miles on them. They were getting pretty low lol. The brembo equipped cars do have a more aggressive pad on the rears, but other than that the rotors and calipers are the same across all models.

Also someone said to not use the OEM pads because they dust like crazy. They are right. They dust like I have never seen before. It's ridiculous. I wish I would have been warned before I did stockers.

How did you get around the white Brembo lettering? Whatever the case, you did a dam good job!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back