Brembo Brakes worth it??

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
If you want them because they look cooler, yes, they are worth it.

If you are out on the weekend straightening out the twisty roads they are worth it.

If you are doing track days they are about mandatory. And brake cooling ducts too. Very worth it.

If the car is used to commute by a little old lady who drives 5 under everywhere, not worth it.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the car is used to commute by a little old lady who drives 5 under everywhere, not worth it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you just described Darren!:tj:

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I have had a set of new Brembo take offs in my garage for a few months now, just trying to decide if the looks/performance is worth the extra unsprung weight. Mine is a DD and I autocross it about once a month. I will keep posted on this thread for feedback. But it sounds like most of you guys are pretty happy with the Brembos.

DRock

Reaction score
You guys think too hard about this shit.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I have had a set of new Brembo take offs in my garage for a few months now, just trying to decide if the looks/performance is worth the extra unsprung weight. Mine is a DD and I autocross it about once a month. I will keep posted on this thread for feedback. But it sounds like most of you guys are pretty happy with the Brembos.

If you already have them, put them on. You'll love them.

Sent from iPhone

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I don't think about this stuff. I'm like a monkey.

Ooooooo shiny, I'll take it.

I'm not sure how you could ever be around 908ssp's car... that'd be me at every little thing on it...

I would pass on Brembos for autocross unless you also track your car. Completely unnecessary for autocross duty.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you could ever be around 908ssp's car... that'd be me at every little thing on it...
It's not too hard.

His is the show/pretty/in your face car.

Mine is the "it's a little rough around the edges, but man that thing is FAST!" car.

I would pass on Brembos for autocross unless you also track your car. Completely unnecessary for autocross duty.
But shiny!!!

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
Do you really need them? Nope. I do think they're a tad more consistent feeling, but they do add rotating mass which slows your acceleration.

Take-offs, I got caliper/pad/disc/shield/line for $600, the rears are no different across any of the models until 2013

Brakes dont rotate....so they can not add rotating mass.

Wheels add rotatinal mass, a driveshaft is rotational mass...but not brakes...
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
I put brembos on my gt all I got out of them on the street is dirty wheels put the stocks brakes back on the stockers are a little lighter also . NO on brembo go wilwood or ssbc ect.

You cant compare the mustang factory brembos to an aftermarket set of any other brand...including an aftermarket set of brembos.

Whiskey11

Reaction score

Except of course, you know, the rotors... which I'm pretty sure are heavier than the stock 12.4" rotors or even the 13.2" rotors and ROTATE! :) The Calipers themselves are probably the same weight.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score

Rotors buddy, rotors, 14"
I have no idea what the caliper weight difference is, but I'm sure they are heavier, still mass.

Last edited:

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome S197forums to the wild world web! Lets all pull together and make this a top notch S197 forum.

You got me...I was just thinking calipers and pads...not sure how I completely overlooked the fucking rotors...lmao.

Bad06stang

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 GT base and I just upgraded to the 14" 4 piston brembos and 19" wheels with P zeros on them from a track pack car. You can definitely notice a difference in braking, especially when doing high speed stops. First time i did a hard stop from about 80 i was suddenly at 20 so fast i didnt know what to do with myself. They are for sure worth the 400 bucks I paid for them. I just sold my stock brakes today for 100 so for the 300 i have into them lol

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
I first upgraded to slotted rotors with hawk pads, stopped better and didn't pulse like the stock warped rotors.. Then upgraded to the brembos and was blown away. I recommend them 10000% .. My next GT I will buy them when I build the car.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
I almost feel like this is "feeling insane power from an intake", by some of the responses. Im not exactly sure, but I think the brembos have only shown, to stop the car like 7-10 feet shorter than the non brembo cars...while something is better than nothing...its not a massive difference. But they do not fade nearly as bad as the non brembo'd cars, but not sure how much in reality of just normal you would be avoiding.

I got the brembo package with my car, mostly because I personally think they look sick and they came with better wheels, which I really like. Also, I feel i have noticed slight fade in the non brembo cars, ive owned in the past (not sure if that's just my imganation) in some of my spirited driving I do...so I figured why not just avoid that being a worry. also...while not a big difference they do stop shortet as well and only if 7 feet, that's 1 & 1/2 car lengths and could mean avoiding an accident...all of those coupled with getting them added at dealer cost and really only moving my car payment by $20 a month, I figured might as well.

I think factory take offs for under 500.00 is money well spent for good looks and the other things above, but a full fledge after market kit, unless you road race or just have mass amounts of money to burn...those funds could go to better things on the car.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Spending money to go fast?? Spend some to slow down. I put them on my 05 and damn glad I did.

RH

Whiskey11

Reaction score
I almost feel like this is "feeling insane power from an intake", by some of the responses. Im not exactly sure, but I think the brembos have only shown, to stop the car like 7-10 feet shorter than the non brembo cars...while something is better than nothing...its not a massive difference. But they do not fade nearly as bad as the non brembo'd cars, but not sure how much in reality of just normal you would be avoiding.

I got the brembo package with my car, mostly because I personally think they look sick and they came with better wheels, which I really like. Also, I feel i have noticed slight fade in the non brembo cars, ive owned in the past (not sure if that's just my imganation) in some of my spirited driving I do...so I figured why not just avoid that being a worry. also...while not a big difference they do stop shortet as well and only if 7 feet, that's 1 & 1/2 car lengths and could mean avoiding an accident...all of those coupled with getting them added at dealer cost and really only moving my car payment by $20 a month, I figured might as well.

I think factory take offs for under 500.00 is money well spent for good looks and the other things above, but a full fledge after market kit, unless you road race or just have mass amounts of money to burn...those funds could go to better things on the car.

The reason the track pack/Brembo cars stop shorter is because of the different tires than the standard GT.

I can assure you, if we took a V6 Mustang from my generation, my Mustang, a base 5.0, a Track pack GT and the pre 2013 GT500 and lined them up, ballasted them to the same weight, put the same wheels and tires on them all and put in super robo driver guy who is hyper consistent, all generations would brake to zero in the same distance.

Why?

It's physics. Your braking potential is limited by the grip the tires produce. I can assure you that right now on 265 wide Hankook RS3's (one of the stickiest non r-Comp street tires available) I can get into ABS pretty easily on stock pads, stock rotors, stock lines, and stock fluid. Why is ABS important? Because ABS is Anti-lock Brakes. Basically there is enough brake torque in my tiny ass 12.4" rotors to lock up the wheel so that the ABS system has to pulse to keep the wheel moving.

That all matters because the tires we use (whatever we chose to use in said test) all have the same braking potential, the car has the same weight and momentum. The differences, if any, in stopping distances will then come down to tire variations from batch to batch and tire from tire. That difference will be a foot or two at most.

What you do change going from the 11.whatever V6 rotors from 05-10 to the 14" Brembos is brake torque (which changes how the brakes feel, but doesn't change stopping distances any), pad selection, and the ability to soak in more heat in the braking system and better pad wear when driven aggresively. I have yet to get brake fade on my 09 from Autocross so that is why I said it's a pretty worthless upgrade for autocross use. For road course use they are a requirement, with cooling, stainless steel lines and good fluid with good pads.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
The reason the track pack/Brembo cars stop shorter is because of the different tires than the standard GT.

I can assure you, if we took a V6 Mustang from my generation, my Mustang, a base 5.0, a Track pack GT and the pre 2013 GT500 and lined them up, ballasted them to the same weight, put the same wheels and tires on them all and put in super robo driver guy who is hyper consistent, all generations would brake to zero in the same distance.

Your whole argument is nonsense at this point. Of course all vehicles of the same weight would get into ABS at the exact same point of pressure in the braking system. But these vehicle are not even close to being the same weight, therefore more brake torque is necessary on the heavier vehicles. While you made many good points about how braking systems work, this is not one of them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back