Broken Pinion Flange Bolt

ChrisDR

Reaction score
I have tried searching all over google but I can't seem to find the info that I am looking for.

I was pulling out of a parking spot the other night and started experiencing a banging whose frequency increased with RPMs. I immediately thought it was a driveline issue. I parked it for the night and the next day I jacked it up from the rear and hand spun the wheels so I could examine the driveshaft.

Sure enough, I saw one of the metal straps at the driveshaft-pinion flange joint dangling and as the driveshaft spun, it contacted the driveshaft tunnel. Upon further inspection, 3 of the bolts had managed to work themselves loose (there didn't appear to be any loctite on the threads) and one bolt had broken off in the pinion flange.

I realize that these bolts are hardened steel so I don't know if I can drill the bolt and use an ez-out. How should I go about removing this bolt?

I also haven't been able to find a replacement for the bolts. I went to Ford but the parts guy couldn't find just the bolts and assumed that they could only be purchased as a part of the assembly.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

Chris

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
remove the 3 good bolts. Remove the drive shaft and use some vice grips or something to grab and spin the broken bolt out

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have tried searching all over google but I can't seem to find the info that I am looking for.

I was pulling out of a parking spot the other night and started experiencing a banging whose frequency increased with RPMs. I immediately thought it was a driveline issue. I parked it for the night and the next day I jacked it up from the rear and hand spun the wheels so I could examine the driveshaft.

Sure enough, I saw one of the metal straps at the driveshaft-pinion flange joint dangling and as the driveshaft spun, it contacted the driveshaft tunnel. Upon further inspection, 3 of the bolts had managed to work themselves loose (there didn't appear to be any loctite on the threads) and one bolt had broken off in the pinion flange.

I realize that these bolts are hardened steel so I don't know if I can drill the bolt and use an ez-out. How should I go about removing this bolt?

I also haven't been able to find a replacement for the bolts. I went to Ford but the parts guy couldn't find just the bolts and assumed that they could only be purchased as a part of the assembly.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

Chris

I would take it as a sign from above that you should buy a 1 piece ds.

ChrisDR

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I was able to find the the bolts and washers (they looks like straps) thats I was looking for. I was told by several places that I needed P/N N800594-S100 however, these is for the older style pinion yoke.

Just for future reference, the actual P/N for the CV joint to pinion flange is P/N 4R3Z-4B496-AA. Each package contains two bolts and a soft "U" shaped washer.

Now just to get this damn bolt out... It is broken flush with the pinion flange.

Yeah, I plan on picking up a Shaftmasters direct bolt in so I don't have to worry about replacing the pinion flange and dealing a new crush washer and pinion preload. Unless of course, I can't get this bolt out, in which case I may as well go with a shaft that requires pinion flange replacement. Thoughts on this?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have access to a welder? If you do get a small nut and weld the nut from the inside to the broken part of the bolt, if there is enough to get to it. Then remove it.Take a picture of the broken bolt so i can see how its broken off.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
You can sometimes use a punch to turn the broken off bolt with it still in the hole, and if so, work it out or through the other side.
In addition to welding, you may be able to j-b weld a bolt onto the end sticking out or on the broken end, but be careful not to glue it to the flange.

Those bolts didn't have loctite on them and they worked loose.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

The 1 pc DS with the adapter flange worked great for me (except for the vibes, but that was an issue with the Spyder as well the 2nd one) AND they both came with those bolts for the pinion flange :)

LuckyFlyingROUSH

forum member
Reaction score
Man, I have broken bolts off everywhere. Head to lowes, get a set of center punches, titanium drill bits, a quart of oil, and an easy out relative to the size of the bolt.

Use the center punch to hit the center of the bolt.

Put oil on your drill bit and start slowly drilling. It will take a while, Take your time and continiously oil the bit. Prepare to break bits, so buy a bunch of the same size.

- Then hammer the easyout into the holl and rotate....

Wala... I've gotten 2 procharger bolts out of the crankshaft with out removing the engine, or the radiator.

ChrisDR

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help guys. I was able to get the bolt out yesterday afternoon.

It was "lucky" that there was no loctite on the bolt, as when I started to drill, the bit hooked and spun the bolt out a mm. Then I was able to use vise grips until I had enough to spin it out by hand.

Back