Broken pulley on start up

Len20hun

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone with a Kenne Bell or any type of twin screw have issue with the pulley breaking from the timing chain cover? I decided to move my car out of the garage yesterday morning and the power steering was gone. I opened the hood and the pulley was laying on the right side of the motor with the bolt broken and some of the timing chain cover as well. I guess I'm lucky I wasn't driving or racing bc it would have destroyed my hood . Besides replacing the cover, is there anything else I should do or check to prevent this from happening again?
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 16

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!! The car gods were watching out for you for sure. Def lucky it happened in the driveway.

Check the length of the pulley bolts, make sure they arent going too far into the cover and cracking through the back of the cover.

Also check your belt tension, and make sure your tensioner has a good amount of movement before hitting the stop. What are you running for a tensioner?

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
+1 on the bolt being the problem. There are 2 different lengths, put a long one in a shallow hole and the cover will crack.

07 Boss

Reaction score
When I saw the thread title I was going to suggest billet pulleys but I guess that's not going to help with the cover cracking. I have a dent in my hood from my belt splitting at WOT and flogging the underside.

Len20hun

forum member
Reaction score
I'm so happy that it did not dent my hood. Also, I'm glad that I didn't move the car and have to find someone to tow it home or use AAA. The bolt might have been too long. I have the street pulley on it and the belt didn't have much tension on it. I could literally pull the belt off the blower pulley it was soo loose. I think the bolt might have been too long. I have driven the car for 350 break in miles and no issues until now. However, I did hear a squeal from the belt and tensioner.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the tensioner isn't up to snuff, it can shock load all the pulleys. Something to consider.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back