BS3 with the new 5.0

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Well what makes it tricky is the VVT, Im sure they are too complicated for a piggyback to work in the tradition (terrible) way, in which it changes the calibration of the MAP sensor or airflow meter. The way to do it would be for the the injectors/coils to be directly driven off of the secondary ECU, while it reads the sensor outputs, meanwhile the stock ECU sits there and does what it normally does, unaware that its not actually controlling fuel/ignition.
The problem with this is that the VVT may not be based on a simple RPM vs load relationship, so the maps would need to be constantly changing with VVT settings. Basically have a set of maps for incrimental changes in cam angles with the values extrapolated between maps just as they are between cells.
That is of course, a lot of maps with VVT on both cams.
The other option would be to take VVT control into your own hands (theyre typically a pretty simply PWM control), but the factory computer will most likely shit a chicken...

Thats all it really comes down to. If VVT is predictable, it may be possible to piggyback MSIII, AEM F/IC, Adaptronic, or some other inexpensive EMS. If its not predictable, then we are at the mercy of this cornered market.
VVT is only a part of it. What is the most complex aspect of the 05+ ECU is the drive by wire. It isn't a simple follow setup where the TB motor duplicates the movement on the throttle pedal. There are highly complex algorythms involved that control every aspect of what the throttle body actually does, including a very complex torque based system that prevents the car from running out of control and getting stuck wide open.

I am not sure that it is even possible to get SCT to unlock those tables for someone with a PRP package, it is too much of a liability. You have to have the highest level of certification as a professional tuner to get the tables unlocked as it is.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
VVT is only a part of it. What is the most complex aspect of the 05+ ECU is the drive by wire. It isn't a simple follow setup where the TB motor duplicates the movement on the throttle pedal. There are highly complex algorythms involved that control every aspect of what the throttle body actually does, including a very complex torque based system that prevents the car from running out of control and getting stuck wide open.

I am not sure that it is even possible to get SCT to unlock those tables for someone with a PRP package, it is too much of a liability. You have to have the highest level of certification as a professional tuner to get the tables unlocked as it is.

Oooh, thats a good point, I never even thought about that.
I have noticed the drive by wire system seems to be at a minimum doing the job of an IAC, probably more than that as well

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back