Bucking on light throttle in 1st gear when cold

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I run the FRPP 113mm with my TVS and VMP tune. No bucking issues at all, drives as if it was stock.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It's the tune. A value file tuner won't ever figure out why this is happening because the SCT value files aren't correct for cold motor driveability. It doesn't have to be like this.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Gabe, Arizona is so dry that 40 degree daily swings in temp are common, sometimes 50 degree swings or more. It can be in the 20s when you wake up and 70 by mid afternoon.

And good tuners such as Lito, VMP or Lund know how to address this and can resolve it easily. In all the time that Justin has been tuning my cars I've never done a datalog. I can tell him what the car is doing and he emails me a tune update. On the Bullitt he had it on the dyno often enough to double check but my 2014 has never been on the dyno.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
For those moments waiting 30 seconds is really fuckin with your life...

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
It's the tune. A value file tuner won't ever figure out why this is happening because the SCT value files aren't correct for cold motor driveability. It doesn't have to be like this.

So who would you recommend? Feel free to PM if you want ...

Lol, It has actually been in freezing temps lately in the morning when I drive to work. So yes, yes it does.

News to me :)
Cool.

Gabe, Arizona is so dry that 40 degree daily swings in temp are common, sometimes 50 degree swings or more. It can be in the 20s when you wake up and 70 by mid afternoon.

And good tuners such as Lito, VMP or Lund know how to address this and can resolve it easily. In all the time that Justin has been tuning my cars I've never done a datalog. I can tell him what the car is doing and he emails me a tune update. On the Bullitt he had it on the dyno often enough to double check but my 2014 has never been on the dyno.

Lito doesn't tune Coyotes, and I'd like to stay away from another e-mail tune.

For those moments waiting 30 seconds is really fuckin with your life...

Umm, when the problem's there even after idling for 3 minutes or more, yeah, it fucks with my life.
If it went away after 30 seconds of idling, this thread wouldn't exist.
But thanks for "contributing" to the thread.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Why are you dead set against an email tune? That limits your choices to local dyno tuners so you are pretty much on your own there.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So who would you recommend? Feel free to PM if you want ...

Lito doesn't tune Coyotes, and I'd like to stay away from another e-mail tune.

First of all my first answer was somewhat flippant. A better answer would of been to ask if you have relayed your concerns to your tuner.

I say this because I've been able to correct that stumble with my 3v on multiple setups. If I can figure it out then most tuners should be able to if given the chance.

My first choice in a tuner would be Manuel Pazo who is lito on this forum. I think he does tune the GT500. When it comes to the coyote I don't have a good answer. The three people I'd trust to do it would be lito (not an option at this time for the coyote), Eric Brooks, and Justin.

That doesn't mean that they are the only people who can do it. What it means is that they have at various times discussed tuning and internal combustion engine management in enough detail on various forums for me to trust their work. Most tuners aren't on the internet talking about these things so I wouldn't know enough to have an opinion of what they do.

Sorry I don't have a better answer. You can always just let it warm up which is what I had to do prior to doing my own tuning. IMO the majority of tuners are going to concentrate on things that will kill the motor. Basically wot tuning. It can take time and a few revisions to get the driveability and cold start things corrected.

If you think about it you only have one or two shots a day to work on cold start issues, it can take a large investment in time to get it.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
......jpc....I have a jlt with out this issue at all. Did with my lund tune though, even though that's impossible because we all know Jesus doesn't make mistakes....

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
So how does this work with the cars that are not running a tune, like myself?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
What are you trying to start?

Nothing - I had Lito adjust my cold starts afaik and not much changed, I just don't think he's used to dealing with temperatures near freezing and somehow the top end of the engine is staying much colder than anyone thinks, condensing a lot of fuel. Could keep trying ad naseum, but I'd rather just let it idle for 20 seconds after I fire it up!

In my head I'd think there were different start/idle/off idle fuelling values so that you wouldn't just be adding fuel to everything down low, leading to rich running after warm up, but I really have no idea.

I didn't mean to offend anybody, least of all Lito! I was hoping he'd come in and comment.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Umm, when the problem's there even after idling for 3 minutes or more, yeah, it fucks with my life.
If it went away after 30 seconds of idling, this thread wouldn't exist.
But thanks for "contributing" to the thread.

Where did you mention you had this problem for 3 full minutes in this thread?

boll58

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing on cold days, warming it up doesn't always help. I sometimes think its the cold clutch. It only does it the first time I pull away.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
mine sporadically does this. an like boll58 said, it doesn't repeat after i take off. since it's not all the time, i wasn't worried about it. i also let my idle drop to normal idle before i take off. now that i think aobut it tho, it does only happen when i press the gas. it does fine with no gas an just letting the clutch out. couldn't it just be a dirty tb?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back