Building your motor? Turn it over..

slagburn

forum member
Reaction score
Might want to make sure it's not like my block. This is just inside the pan rail. There are super-sharp aluminum slivers like this all over. The one in the picture flaked right off when I pushed on it.

This is the front of the block, back of the oil pump. It is the main feed hole up to the filter housing. The block return from the housing is a larger hole, bored smooth to the center of the block. Not sure that oil flowing over a restriction of cast-in numbers and letters is ideal.

Needless to say this block will be getting the full internal deburring treatment and the oil feed passage will be reworked. I have no idea if they are all like this or if mine skipped a step on assembly. The main bearings looked brand new with over 30,000 supercharged miles- the filter must have caught all the slivers that got sucked up. Explains the light scoring in the oil pump.

Just an FYI!

wproctor411

forum member
Reaction score
Deburring is standard build procedure, in particular anything aluminum, and let's hope Ford is doing this from the plant.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I forget what shop it was, maybe fast lane, but in 2010 they ripped there new coyote engine apart and found that there's was not deburred either. There is a YouTube video of there teardown. Maybe this is just one of the many little things they skimp on to get em done.

slagburn

forum member
Reaction score
There are two slivers in the above picture, immediately left and right of the main cap in the pic. There are probably twenty such slivers that I've seen in this block. They are small enough to go through the pickup screen and right into the oil pump.

Aluminum that thin is very malleable, I doubt this issue has caused any catastrophic failures but you never know.

After a little work it's looking a lot better. The main oil feed galley:

And a look along the pan rail, before and after:

Again, my main concern wasn't the overall roughness inboard of the pain rail, it was the thin slivers of metal hanging on by a thread. I also found a bunch of slivers ready to drop on the edges of the "bay to bay breathing holes" as Ford calls 'em, the approx 1" holes drilled through the main webbing just below the cylinder bores. I had a neighbor over who has been inside of countless engines over the years and he was rather shocked to see this made it to the production line as-is.

silver50

Reaction score
That is how all the 5.0 come from the factory. I believe I saw this on 2 guys garage or some similar program on speed channel when the 5.0 first cam out. It was one of the ways ford cut cost on building these cars.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
All the ones I've seen are like that too. It's slightly surprising, but I haven't seen any bearing issues, or any other problems that would be related in any way to debris.

slagburn

forum member
Reaction score
Watched the Fastlane video last night, exact same thing. It was the one negative thing they commented on. Didn't realize I was basically parroting their video as I'd never seen it.

Maybe someone at Ford decided the oil pump could handle eating those slivers, then they stop at the filter so no big deal. Either way I feel much better after some quality time deburring the thing.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back