Busted a strut clean in half

DevGittinJr

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
@Pentalab

I see the struts were on the car since 2011. Just curious as to how many miles (and/or track hours) were on them and if your car is dual-purpose or mostly a track car.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
@Pentalab

I see the struts were on the car since 2011. Just curious as to how many miles (and/or track hours) were on them and if your car is dual-purpose or mostly a track car.

22,000 miles on the roush struts / shocks / springs. 99.99% DD...and a few times doing autocross. Zero road courses. Roush springs are supposed to be 30% stiffer than oem....and supposedly they also factored in the weight of the blower. But with oem struts now on the front, the front end is like a bouncy ball. My conclusion is... stiff struts and softish springs just puts more of a load on the struts. What it really needs is stiffer springs ..and the appropriate struts /shocks etc.

Right now I'm looking at a bunch of different springs, or F/R spring combos.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Bounciness usually happens when there isn't enough rebound damping to keep the spring from "overshooting" as it extends back from a compression event. And there's a little bump and rebound damping happening nearly all of the time while you're driving, even on "smooth" roads.

Stiff bump damping with soft springs would tend to increase strut shaft loading, but the shaft isn't going to fail in compression. On the rebound side, it takes a stiffer spring to increase strut shaft tensile loading. Soft springs can't get the strut piston velocity up as high against firm rebound damping, which means the extension forces on the shaft would be lower with soft springs.

Struts can and do see considerable amounts of bending, and that combined with a notch/scratch/dent in the shaft might be enough to ultimately result in a fatigue failure from bending. Even that sounds like a stretch, but then again yours is the only strut failure of this sort that I've heard of.

Norm

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.holmanmoody.com/Takeoff.html

I was going to try this setup - take off 2013 suspension.

Guy wouldn't get me a shipping quote so I just installed Roush front springs! heh.

I hate my suspension, but have to live with it. I might try bilstein struts one day.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back