Buttonwillow track Day

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
Anyone interested in going?

http://www.speedventures.com/events/...il.aspx?id=361

I'll be driving up (I'm in OC) on Fri & racing on Saturday.

I've got a friend in a 911 turbo joining me.

Let me know if you're thinking of going!

I registered for Saturday and a buddy of mine may be joining (either with his E30 BMW or E36 M3). I'll be driving up Saturday morning in a black '06 GT (#151).

Of course, my radiator has decided to spring a slow leak, so I'll be swapping radiators next weekend.

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
Damn, I'd love to join you both, but school's tying me up...

I'm a regular with ExtremeSpeed Track Events. I've even helped instruct a few times. They go out to Willow Springs fairly often although they do hold events at Buttonwillow. If you guys ever want to hit up Willow Springs some time later in the year I'd love to try to hang out with some other Mustang drivers!

And if we got enough people interested I could always try talking to the President, Joel, about the possibility of some sort of group discount!

DRock

Reaction score
^^^Raced with this guy once and it is fun as hell. I really wish I could go. Dont want to take any chances this close to SEMA :(

RolloTomassi

forum member
Reaction score
I registered for Saturday and a buddy of mine may be joining (either with his E30 BMW or E36 M3). I'll be driving up Saturday morning in a black '06 GT (#151).

Of course, my radiator has decided to spring a slow leak, so I'll be swapping radiators next weekend.

Sorry to hear about the radiator. Those hoses can be difficult. I had trouble with one on the engine block.

But I'll be stoked to see you there!

Are you driving the stang up or putting her on a trailer?

Street Tires? Brakes?

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the radiator. Those hoses can be difficult. I had trouble with one on the engine block.

But I'll be stoked to see you there!

Are you driving the stang up or putting her on a trailer?

Street Tires? Brakes?

I'm hoping the radiator swap goes without a hitch--with the front fascia off, I was able to swap radiators a few years back pretty quickly (it's an aftermarket radiator that sprung the leak).

I'll be driving there bright and early and will most likely have to leave before the last run of the day (other commitments), but I'm psyched to get out there. It's been a hectic year and the last time I was able to hit the track was March or April I think. Hung out with Nick (aka "Grip" on this forum). I emailed him to see if he would be there.

I'll still be on a tired 2-1/2 year old set of Nitto NT05's street tires. GT500 Brembos up front with ducting, EBC Blues all around.

I'm most curious to see how the new Konis do compared to my old D-specs that were ~6 years old and pretty worn out (lost the gas charge in both fronts).

RolloTomassi

forum member
Reaction score
This weekend's coming up!

Uber stoked.

Weather puts us right in the mid-low 80s. Should be a perfect day for racing!

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
I'm itchin' to get out there! New radiator is in (forgot how much of a bee-hotch the lower hose was!!) and car is ready to go. See you out there on Saturday.

RolloTomassi

forum member
Reaction score
Wow what a day!

Met up with mike (chim-chim) and it was an awesome day of racing.

Started off ridiculously slow, but ended up posting a pb of 2:14.5

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
Wow what a day!

Met up with mike (chim-chim) and it was an awesome day of racing.

Started off ridiculously slow, but ended up posting a pb of 2:14.5

Definitely a fun day! It's always fun to meet the fellow forum members. Nice improvements on the time--always good to finish the day that way.

My NT05's are officially dead--now I'm just trying to decide whether to go with NT01's and be able to drive to the track on them, or go the tire trailer route and get Hoosier take-offs or BFGR1's...

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely a fun day! It's always fun to meet the fellow forum members. Nice improvements on the time--always good to finish the day that way.

My NT05's are officially dead--now I'm just trying to decide whether to go with NT01's and be able to drive to the track on them, or go the tire trailer route and get Hoosier take-offs or BFGR1's...

After a few track days the NT01s end up with only the two circumferential grooves so if you drive them to the track stay away from standing water.

I drive to the track on the street tires and then swap to the track tires. All four tires and tools and jack etc go into the car. Just put one track tire into the spare tire well.

RolloTomassi

forum member
Reaction score
Yes! Much improved since the start of the day.

Although, I will admit to still being a newb and not checking my tire pressures. Come to find out they were WAY too high so I'm sure I lost some time by ignoring that major-minor detail.

But Mike, how was it with 4.10's on the track? with the 3.55's I never get out of 3rd (even on the straight). I'd bet you're well into 4th by the end of that coming into turn 1.

RolloTomassi

forum member
Reaction score
Also, i know you had at least one or two sessions recorded from that day. Let's see um on film!

Might help me with my line...

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
But Mike, how was it with 4.10's on the track? with the 3.55's I never get out of 3rd (even on the straight). I'd bet you're well into 4th by the end of that coming into turn 1.

Wait--you don't go into 4th at all on the track? Are you bouncing off the rev limiter in 3rd? I had 3.55's for a while, with a 26.8" diameter tire and I was in 4th in quite a few sections. Definitely by halfway down the front straight, but also after Riverside before Phil Hill, and exiting the esses.

I've had the 4.10's for a few track days and they are a blast on the track. Without stickier tires, I can't use 2nd exiting Buttonhook, but 3rd isn't bogging too bad. I haven't had them at Big Willow, yet, and with a 26.8" diameter tire it will be touch and go on the front straight. I *may* be able to bounce off the 6,800rpm rev limiter in 4th just before I need to brake...

Also, i know you had at least one or two sessions recorded from that day. Let's see um on film!

Might help me with my line...

I haven't had a chance to upload any video from the weekend--not even sure if I caught any, since my battery was cutting out. I have a bunch from other weekends I need to edit and upload--both with 4.10's and 3.55's. Here's the only clip I have online from Buttonwillow right now, which is from last May (with 3.55's). Ignore the "Jaws" music. :laughlots: (It's a buddy of mine in the 911. He had gridded up directly behind me and I told him I was going to catch him. He swore there was no way that would happen...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCmMnIM74Xg

RolloTomassi

forum member
Reaction score
Yah I'm in 2nd or 3rd the whole track. At the end of the straight I'm right around 115-118mph. Think I cracked 120 once or twice but I'm trying not looking at the speedo at that point in time!

I tried getting into 4th but by the time I upshifted and then downshifted for the braking zone I found myself losing too much time shifting twice for no reason! haha

Heck of a fun track, just wish they had one like it on this side of the grapevine.

I heard about Chuckwalla Raceway, but that seems just as far in the opposite direction.

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
Yah I'm in 2nd or 3rd the whole track. At the end of the straight I'm right around 115-118mph. Think I cracked 120 once or twice but I'm trying not looking at the speedo at that point in time!

Is your speedo calibrated for the track tires? Outer diameter of Hoosiers is 25.4", which gives a theoretical max of 110 MPH in 3rd at 6,800 rpms. I have a feeling that once you get used to those tires, you will be hauling through the last turn onto the front straight and will easily be into 4th!

RolloTomassi

forum member
Reaction score
Probably one of the last times you can go before the summer heat takes its toll.

Not sure I can make it but darn would I like to!

FR500GT - Do you trailer up there?

roboworm

Reaction score
I'm planning on going on the 2nd or 3rd, don't know yet. Had a great time with Extreme Speed at Big Willow May 5th.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back