Caliper Slide Pins

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
So over the course of a year, Ive had the caliper slide pin sound of death. Ive had the pins lubricated twice but both times, the sound has come back. I want to try this on my own and ensure I use the correct stuff to cure the sound from coming back. Do I want to use any special kind of brake lube?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
So over the course of a year, Ive had the caliper slide pin sound of death. Ive had the pins lubricated twice but both times, the sound has come back. I want to try this on my own and ensure I use the correct stuff to cure the sound from coming back. Do I want to use any special kind of brake lube?

What sound, squeal?

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
It's essentially a crunching sound from the time I apply the brakes until a complete stop.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The silicone lubricant is sold at auto parts stores. It's thick and sticks around. Does the sound go away after lubricating?

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
It does but after a few weeks, it returns. Maybe the side pins are rusting and need replacing?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It does but after a few weeks, it returns. Maybe the side pins are rusting and need replacing?

Get some of the heavy duty caliper pin grease. I'm guessing that regular grease has been used in the past. Also, get some tools and do it yourself. It's the only way you will know it's done right or know the parts condition.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Any brand in particular?

Get some of the heavy duty caliper pin grease. I'm guessing that regular grease has been used in the past. Also, get some tools and do it yourself. It's the only way you will know it's done right or know the parts condition.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Darren he said they are making a grinding sound, probably past the point of steel wool.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
So Im assuming I have to take the caliper off to do this? Or can I just unbolt the two bolts where the sliding pins are?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back