Caliper upgrade

latch5

forum member
Reaction score
Would like to upgrade the calipers on a '05 to use with stock rotors. I use a very agressive race pad on track days which tears up the rotors pretty fast. Rotor wear is a no issue as take offs are so cheap + I use 17" rims which won't handle a big grade kit. Been looking for a while but have found kit only. Is tere anything out there?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Would like to upgrade the calipers on a '05 to use with stock rotors. I use a very agressive race pad on track days which tears up the rotors pretty fast. Rotor wear is a no issue as take offs are so cheap + I use 17" rims which won't handle a big grade kit. Been looking for a while but have found kit only. Is tere anything out there?

Not that I've seen. In honesty, the stock calipers don't suck, and they provide more than enough braking torque to put the car in ABS, even with R-comps. The big deal with the BBK thing is that with a larger rotor, you have a larger radiating area to dissipate the heat. That, and more balanced net torque front-to-rear. As far as overall brake packages go, the experience that I've had with race pads would indicate that the Carbotech XP line is very rotor-friendly, but tend to wear quickly, but the Hawk DTC line last almost forever, but eat rotors for lunch... Pick your poison. If you go with the stock rotors, I would lean towards the Hawks, since rotor cost is so low. With a BBK, though, you'll have to do your maths to figure out which is more cost-effective for you. Since you can get Centric blank rotors for the Brembo 4-pot setup fairly cheaply, I'm sticking with the Hawks for now. YMMV, etc.

latch5

forum member
Reaction score
Tks - I've got air ducts plummed in this year so that should help a bit. On the other side I'll br running R compound slicks which should increase my speed and tax the breaks further. I'll look into the hawks as my pads & rotor went prettly quick

Back