Cam swap WITHOUT removing followers?

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
I did mine without removing the followers.

To be honest, you dont even need the wedge.

I had a friend hold the cam phaser real steady and had no problems.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can remove and swap cams without removing followers. Search my name and you will find some of the posts with pics I have while I was in the process of 2 cam swaps. Like everyone said before this post. YOU MUST evenly loosin the cam cap bolts in the reverse order of tighting. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP ALL PRESSURE EQUAL by little turns on each bolt. It will take a little while longer doing this but you won't have to worry about dropping a valve or a keeper. Oh and make sure you try to position the cam in such a way that the lobes isn't puttling a lot of down pressure on the followers. There will be a happy medium where most of the lobs are either in the going down position or comning up position and none is completly pushing down. Very common sense stuff here, once you get into it all this info will make sense.

Just don't use vise grips on the end of the cam when shit doesn't line up :chainsaw:

KevDon92

forum member
Reaction score
Quick question...I recently bought a set of Hot Rods and they're in like new condition, except for one thing. There is a very minor indentation on the end of each one and I'll guarantee it's from the previous owner using vise grips on them. Are they still safe to install?

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, all installers will use it as a last resort to position the cam onto the phaser. As long as all cam lobes and cam cap bearing surfaces are smooth you are ok.

Last edited:

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Been doing the same thing for years without a problem. May not look pretty, but if you're changing out a phaser you really don't have many options.
Yup I watched Ron at foxlake do it, Mike @ powerhouse and then I did it myself. Common practice

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
that vids a great find red, Thanks... I'm hoping to install a set of BBR stage 1 soon myself in the coming months.

So you just take a piece of hose and fold it over to fill the void that the wedge would usually take up?

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
When I did mine I bought the tools. IMO, Ford engineers recommend this method for a reason which is proper cam cap torque by totally releasing the load from the cams. There have been a few incidents that I've read about on other forums where cam caps have come loose from bypassing this method. It's kind of like replacing a head on an engine, adjusting the valves first then torquing the head bolts. JMO. But kudos to the guys doing the cam installation without special tools. I just didn't feel comfortable with it.

Parker Lewis

forum member
Reaction score
There are probably members on this site that would rent you the tools, with a deposit. Also, you can always buy the cam swap tools and then resell them on the forum here for probably close to what you paid.

Keep us posted how the cam swap turns out.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Well luckily I have a work and personal truck. So if the car has to be down for a few days to order the tool it's no big deal.

Is it strange that I'm more afraid of changing my plugs on this car then cams haha.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
When I did mine I bought the tools. IMO, Ford engineers recommend this method for a reason which is proper cam cap torque by totally releasing the load from the cams. There have been a few incidents that I've read about on other forums where cam caps have come loose from bypassing this method. It's kind of like replacing a head on an engine, adjusting the valves first then torquing the head bolts. JMO. But kudos to the guys doing the cam installation without special tools. I just didn't feel comfortable with it.
Ask any dealer mechanac on the down low about this. I have friends that works at different dealers. They do it without tools, you just have to evenly take pressure off the cam cap bolts in the reverse process of tq them down. One buddy said " hey man you know if a dealer can charge you for 10 hours labor they will, even though I can do it in less than half that"

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
In the next few weeks ill be doing a cam swap and was planning on trying it without removing the followers. I keep going back and forth on if I want to or not. Me and a buddy were wondering though if the freedom racing valve spring compressor is the only one you can use on these cars, or would any other valve spring compressor work?

Nuclear

forum member
Reaction score
OK. I started this thread, and I'd like to bring it full circle now. I have completed the cam swap (Brenspeed Detroit Rockers). I DID NOT use the spring compressor, and I DID exercise great caution while drawing down on the new cams. No problems were encountered. I tried to perform the driver side using a simple hose wedged into the chains, and that proved to be somewhat difficult. I used a home-made plastic wedge on the driver side, and the install went a bit smoother. The secret is to get enough slack in the chain, without slacking the lower end, to ease installation of the phaser.

I had an issue spending $90 on a "chunk of plastic on a stick", so I made my own for free. If you are skilled enough to change a cam, you are qualified to make a cam wedge and save $90.

I saved money by not using a spring compressor, but I was extremely careful. I must admit, I do see how this can go wrong, and there are lots of potential pitfalls. If you simply take your time and watch every move, you'll be fine without the spring compressor.

My only issue was with the driver side cam phaser. While fidgeting with the sprocket on assembly, the phaser slid off. I discovered that the roll pins that locate the phaser were damaged. I replaced them and finished the job. The damaged roll pins were most likely a result of me tugging on the sprocket (not enough chain slack). Slack is the key....

Bottom line. Change those cams without spending money on special tools. The cams are expensive enough on their own. No need to spend more money on tools you won't use often...

Just my opinion. I want to thank everyone who offered help and ideas. I appreciate it.

Nick

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the advice Nick! I am lucky enough to have access to the chain wedge tool so I won't have to make my own! I'm just going to take my time and ease off each cam cap as slow as I can go!

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
When I did my built motor assembly, the spring compressor that I had ordered was on backorder and I was out of time. I installed the 127550's by slowly torquing down the caps and it worked fine. I now have the tools and will use them next time though.

Back