Cam Tech Thread

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I probably just need to pull it. When I had the Sterling cams installed they were not degreed. Also have bigger headers and overdrive lower to install.

If your swapping the headers too I would probably pull it, it will make that job much easier too. Not that either can't be done in the car, I'm sure plenty of people have done it that way, but I would probably go ahead and pull it. My back would kill me for weeks if I had to lean over the front end that long, lol

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
How do you like the sterling cams?
I almost got those but ended up with the "RED" Cams.

Car actually slowed down a tic, which led to some digging and a buddy who was running the Sterlings told me they really needed to be degreed as they weren't always right installed straight up.

If your swapping the headers too I would probably pull it, it will make that job much easier too. Not that either can't be done in the car, I'm sure plenty of people have done it that way, but I would probably go ahead and pull it. My back would kill me for weeks if I had to lean over the front end that long, lol

Yeah I'm 6'4" I ain't about that life. And I have a lift might as well put it to use :beer:

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
Car actually slowed down a tic, which led to some digging and a buddy who was running the Sterlings told me they really needed to be degreed as they weren't always right installed straight up.

Yeah I'm 6'4" I ain't about that life. And I have a lift might as well put it to use :beer:

Yes, definitely need to be dialed in.
They are pretty big...I'm surprised that there wasn't any Piston to Valve clearance issues.
They definitely aren't for use with the factory variable valve timing....

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Yes, definitely need to be dialed in.
They are pretty big...I'm surprised that there wasn't any Piston to Valve clearance issues.
They definitely aren't for use with the factory variable valve timing....

Been a while and my memory isn't the best, but IIRC they came with limiters.

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
Been a while and my memory isn't the best, but IIRC they came with limiters.

Locked solid here. My motor was built at JDM and that's how they did it.
I cannot complain about the performance of this thing. Pulls from off Idle to 7400 rpm without letup. I could not be happier with it.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Locked solid here. My motor was built at JDM and that's how they did it.
I cannot complain about the performance of this thing. Pulls from off Idle to 7400 rpm without letup. I could not be happier with it.

Unfortunately my blower will always be a limiting factor. Contemplating a switch to e85 in addition to the larger headers and h-pipe and 10% lower. After that get the 50 shot dialed in and hope for mid-10's.

Fabman

Children Of The Corn
Reaction score
Unfortunately my blower will always be a limiting factor. Contemplating a switch to e85 in addition to the larger headers and h-pipe and 10% lower. After that get the 50 shot dialed in and hope for mid-10's.

e85 here. Works like a charm.

TheBlackPearl

forum member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting Comp to grind me a set of 127300's with a 113 degree lobe center angle and a 104 degree intake center line. That will give me similar specs to the 127500's but a little less lift.

TheBlackPearl

forum member
Reaction score
That's why I like them more than the 500's. I want to keep the vct. I think that will help with low end to get off the line, and still have power for the big end.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
If wider LSA is better for FI how come the LSA degrees for blower cams are lower than N/A cams?

For a centrifugal type blower, is a blower cam or N/A cam better suited?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean most are not. All of comps blower cams have a wider LSA than their n/a cams in the same category nsr, vsr and spr. The real factor being lift/duration.

For example their nsr cams (.450 max lift) they have stage 1 and stage 2 , the blower versions respectively each have 1 more degree of LSA. Same for vsr and for spr.

A N/A cam will generally work fine with with any power adder. When the cam gets more aggressive or higher stage etc. You have more lift and duration which effects how wide the lsa can be. Which is why the power band shifts to the right. An aggressive n/a cam makes its power up top usually above 4500-5000rpms. A wider lsa would counter that and, hence they are narrower than stock or less aggressive n/a cams.

With a blower you have more air flow so lsa can be wider than its n/a version as the boost creates the cylinder pressure. The real benefit for blower grind is the increased exhaust duration/lift to help evacuate the increased cylinder pressure and heat. Most n/a cams have 8-12 more degrees of exhaust duration and .012-.015" of lift than the intake side. A blower cam typically has 14-16 more degrees of exhaust duration up to .020" of lift than the intake side. In short the exhaust valve opens further and is kept open longer to get the increased air through. You don't want need that as much on a n/a car.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back