Cams+Juice

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
Last season I made no changes other than going from 75 shot to 100. I had Comp 127200 and stock manifold and throttle body as a NA best of 12.8's and 1.9s in the 60' on Stock rubber. I bought the Ford Racing manifold and nitrous kit 2 seasons ago and figured if I was going to take things apart I would pull the cam covers off and paint them. I found a defective lobe on the drivers side cam so I pulled them and put back in the stock cams for the season and went with a 75 shot for the season.

Not where I wanted to be. 12.8's 108 mph high 1.7s

So went with 100 shot last year and still with the stock cams it seemed to run ok but the 127200's felt they would pull harder than the nitrous at the top end as I was 109 mph na. Seems the nitrous was all low end. Could be tune related idk, did not datalog any runs. Setting the shift points at a higher mph and harder might have gained me more but I left that alone.

I plan on running 125 shot this season and doing another cam swap and tune and wonder which set of cams I should do if I plan on going with a cent supercharger in a few years as I am getting closer to retirement I will not be wanting to change much after.

This is a stock bottom end so 125 with a proper tune will be about as far as I will go with the juice. 11's and 115 is the goal this season.

Thanks for any input.

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams, there a great all around drop in cam with great gains as well as perfect lope and can be used for boost or spray. I had mine on a 125 shot as well with full bolt ons. I will say to make sure you have a a/f gauge or get the car dyno tuned because the fuel pills I had in my setup were way fat and I picked up about .4 tenths after doing that. Best of luck! I too have went from the nitrous to a centri.

chrish5517

forum member
Reaction score
I had the hot rod cams, ford racing intake, throttle body headers and 100 shot and ran a best of 11.7xxx. Car made right around 450 rwhp and that was on a drag slick.

roberts

forum member
Reaction score
Bossmustang that's false! U don't wanna use them for boost application or for turbo u don't wanna use the hot rod cams

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
This is a stock bottom end so 125 with a proper tune will be about as far as I will go with the juice. 11's and 115 is the goal this season.

Thanks for any input.

I am wanting to try a similar set up soon as well.
Im pretty close to you, are you niagara falls ontario or NY? What track do you go to?
Nick

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams, there a great all around drop in cam with great gains as well as perfect lope and can be used for boost or spray. I had mine on a 125 shot as well with full bolt ons. I will say to make sure you have a a/f gauge or get the car dyno tuned because the fuel pills I had in my setup were way fat and I picked up about .4 tenths after doing that. Best of luck! I too have went from the nitrous to a centri.

Thanks, Hotrods seem the popular cam. I know some people who have them and get a bump from them. Was there a any difference in the track times compared to the Nitrous? Thanks for the response.

I had the hot rod cams, ford racing intake, throttle body headers and 100 shot and ran a best of 11.7xxx. Car made right around 450 rwhp and that was on a drag slick.

Nice, what rpm did you put your hit? I had it set at 3k and could feel it in the 60' and really want to let it hit much earlier. The converter lets me rev up to 2,800 before it digs in. Thanks for the response.

Bossmustang that's false! U don't wanna use them for boost application or for turbo u don't wanna use the hot rod cams

I hear you can compensate the loss of boost you get from the increased open valve overlaps buy changing out the pulley but it also increases the heat of a Centri delivers? Thanks for your input, makes me look a little deeper at the final build but a reminder for me I will end the build with the centri and this cam. This final product is not going to be an all out build.

I am wanting to try a similar set up soon as well.
Im pretty close to you, are you niagara falls ontario or NY? What track do you go to?
Nick

NY, I go to Empire Dragway for the MOMs (Mustang on Mustang) Program. Heads Up Pro Tree. One event a month.

Where do you go to and do you run in a program?

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
NY, I go to Empire Dragway for the MOMs (Mustang on Mustang) Program. Heads Up Pro Tree. One event a month.

Where do you go to and do you run in a program?

Just looked 2.5 hours from me to that track (I'm closer to toronto)
I go to a local track called toronto motorsports park and just run their test and tune program. Just started last year but want to go more often this year.
That event sounds like fun I will be looking it up.

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
Thanks, Hotrods seem the popular cam. I know some people who have them and get a bump from them. Was there a any difference in the track times compared to the Nitrous? Thanks for the response.

I haven't been to the track yet with the new vortech system but I will let you know times when I do. I suspect it will be about the same as the nitrous maybe a little slower.. just depends.. and hot rods are good for about 30 rwhp. It's a great versatile cam and works great with nitrous. Deathwishracer on here also has the hot rod cams and nitrous and on a 100 shot he went 7.18 so I dare anyone to say hot rods aren't a good cam for nitrous or NA. however, they may not be the perfect cam for boost but a blower cam is gonna require springs and what not and is gonna sound close to stock and lets be honest, we all want that thump. so if you want the thump and decent gains the best versatile cam are the hot rods.

chrish5517

forum member
Reaction score
I hit mine at 2700 but wouldn't recommend that to someone wanting to make the car last forever. I was usually around 3000 on the street tell 6000. No gear lockout and leaving on the street at 2500 on a 2 step.

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
I hit mine at 2700 but wouldn't recommend that to someone wanting to make the car last forever.

Well I could do a post: "How would my engine respond to a 150 shot on slicks at 750 rpms without a tune?"

seriously, got the car to keep me doing something and working on machines has always been a way to keep moving. I got it new and doing things like n2o and cams just for kicks. I listened to the sensible advice like at what rpm to have it hit. There are more gaines to find and information to gather and this site is one of the best I found. In my 50's now so I am near that point where I just want to turn the key and not so much a wrench. I don't want to hurt it i just hit it.

going with the hotrods and another tune then work on suspension.

Thanks for all the input those that gave it.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Hot rods will work better with a belt driven blower than a turbo. You can compensate lobe separation by bumping the boost up (pulley down), just make sure you get a big enough head unit that you don't creep past its efficiency range and you won't have to worry too much about IAT's. N/A cams work with blowers on the top end, but the configuration of an N/A cam doesn't allow the blower to make full potential of the lower-mid ranges. Not an issue if you go centri drag car, you'll want to launch mid-high rpm anyway.

I used to run N2O before the centri, never looked back since the swap but I would love to have another nitrous car. Without a pusher system behind the nitrous bottle (NANO for example) the hit declines over the course of the run. As the bottle empties, it declines faster. A real pain if you're going for consistancy and aren't using a fresh bottle every pass. You can do a DIY NANO kit if you do the research, never have to fuss with bottle temps again, fwiw.

The other issue is the stock cams. 100 shot makes great torque, but the stock cams just don't flow up top like an aftermarket N/A cam. Between that and losing pressure through the run, it probably feels like you dropped an anchor out of the trunk compared to the 200's.

Could run around the block with the FRPP, but IMO it's not worth running on a 281cid N/A. You gain more rpm and some peak hp, but low-mid range suffers. Even on spray. BruceH has a post on here with data he gathered as to what it takes to utilize the FRPP mani. I am hesitant to use it myself, as I prefer my low-mid powerband that the stock mani provides. But my car is just a street car now, lol. I don't see 6k/rpm much anymore.

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
it probably feels like you dropped an anchor out of the trunk compared to the 200's.

Could run around the block with the FRPP, but IMO it's not worth running on a 281cid N/A.

The whole reason I want to change the cams. I come out of the hole ok but getting tired of the drop off and cars drive by at the stripe the Nano is not going to happen this year but it might be a good Idea.

My original plan was to run with 200's and the nitrous with the FFRP intake to see what it could do before moving on to the centri. After finding the defect I had 2 seasons of lowered expectations, this season I am raising the bar to get the 11.8 which I know this car will do.

I ran last year full weight with spare, jack, amps and speakers in the trunk and I still had the front sway-bar in. I believe the Hotrods and pulling the weight and sway-bar and a 125 shot will give me what I want this season maybe more.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back