Can this be true

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Well if it's on the interwebz, it must be true!

If this is possible, I'd buy one, since I am probably the only Mustang enthusiast that actually deosn't want to void the drivetrain warranty.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I think everyone over thinks the warranty. My view is once the car is 2-3 years old and does not have any issues then you most likely wont have any down the road and then tune it. But in the first 2 years you shouldn't tune the car if it is an everyday driver as you just don't know.. If it does have issues you better leave it alone till you know all the issues are resolved. Besides, once you are out of the bumper to bumper 3 years any car company really does not want to cover it anyway so if you do have an issue on the last 2 years it better be cut and dry powertrain issue or your going to have a battle on your hands anyway.

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^that is what my older brother is doing. He bought a 2014. He is waiting one more year, then the s/c is coming out. No problems at all with the car so far though.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^^ I want to sooooo bad but going to wait awhile. I guess I have the transmission gremilin on my back. new car shifts nice and firm at 1-2 shift, then kind of slides into 3rd and when in 3rd its like the trans slip into lock up, nice and firm for all other shifts. also when in O/D and slightly accelerating i can hear rpms go up a little like hitting a tiny piec of gravel or ice. something is just not right, unless that is the way the 2014's act. 2400 miles and trans issues WTF!

Well if it's on the interwebz, it must be true!

If this is possible, I'd buy one, since I am probably the only Mustang enthusiast that actually deosn't want to void the drivetrain warranty.

LMAO

Last edited:

BlackBullitt1390

forum member
Reaction score
I had warranty work done on my 2004 GT after I installed a Kenne Bell. The a/c compressor shit the bed. Covered by warranty even with an extra 30 min of labor added for working around the aftermarket s/c (stated on repair worksheet).

Not exactly a powertrain warranty issue, but still didn't have any issues with the dealer.

Pauly

Way too loud
Reaction score
I think it all depends on your dealer. My 2011 has been tuned since day one and I have had it in for a few warranty items and have never had a problem. They have always serviced the car and never said anything about the tune. I have even extended my Ford warranty through FoMoCo and had service done.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I think it all depends on your dealer. My 2011 has been tuned since day one and I have had it in for a few warranty items and have never had a problem. They have always serviced the car and never said anything about the tune. I have even extended my Ford warranty through FoMoCo and had service done.

I think you have to give them a reason to look. If your car comes in with a MAF code and see its bad, there just going to replace it. If there is some type of odd miss fire and no tech can figure it out or fits any TSBs then they may go looking for a aftermarket tune issue. Or if you use HP tunners and don't know how to tune a car and the cylinder heads are melted to the block, then they will look too lol.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think you have to give them a reason to look. If your car comes in with a MAF code and see its bad, there just going to replace it. If there is some type of odd miss fire and no tech can figure it out or fits any TSBs then they may go looking for a aftermarket tune issue. Or if you use HP tunners and don't know how to tune a car and the cylinder heads are melted to the block, then they will look too lol.

Thank you! here at work because I burned up all my PTO and there are like 5 people here in a 30 man shop, and I needed a good laugh. My concern would be if something like the auto tranny crapped the bed. First thing I think they would say is the increase in trans pressure killed it. sad fact is that could very well be true. Guess I'm going down the safe road and wait untill I get
10k miles on it so I KNOW everything is good to go.

Oh well was wanting a Supro reissue guitar amp so guess I will get that.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
As far as I know ANY time the pcm is flashed it's a recorded event, it may not leave evidence of what the flash was but it will show that it was flashed and any pcm reflash done by a dealer under warranty will show up in the cars repair history and obviously an aftermarket tune will not.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I think it all depends on your dealer. My 2011 has been tuned since day one and I have had it in for a few warranty items and have never had a problem. They have always serviced the car and never said anything about the tune.
I tend to agree, the dealer is big here. I had a rear end noise months back, ended up being a bad pinion bearing. I have LCA's, relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard rod. The tech and writer asked me how I liked them and did the service no questions asked. They easily could have blamed it on my mods.

As for the OP's question, that has been discussed before. It can be seen by a tech, you can't "hide" any tune 100%...

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Same with my dealer. They have seen the videos of me running on the track, and still do warranty work, no questions asked.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Also depends on the dealer you use. At the Dealership I am at we are very Mod Friendly and as long as you don't come in ranting and raving like a crazed lunatic, we are going to try and help you. We are a Level 1 volume shop so we can do alot more without any inspections!

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
Also depends on the dealer you use. At the Dealership I am at we are very Mod Friendly and as long as you don't come in ranting and raving like a crazed lunatic, we are going to try and help you. We are a Level 1 volume shop so we can do alot more without any inspections!

How would I go about finding a level 1 shop in my area?

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does warranty work have to be done at the dealer car was purchased at?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
How would I go about finding a level 1 shop in my area?

Pretty sure that means they are Ford Racing certified. If that is the case, there are maybe ten in the country. Mine is thankfully...

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Does warranty work have to be done at the dealer car was purchased at?

No, Ford dealership I bought my mustang from has a great sales department but am not very fond of there service department. I go to a different Ford for my service. Funny thing is between my work and personal having/had at one time, 6 Ford vehicles, not one was ever bought at the place I take them to for warranty/service lol.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My purchase experience from the dealership will have me NEVER going there again. Tried to pawn a car off on me that was supposed to be certified preowned, come to find out previous owner had power braked it so much the rear pads were worn to the point of the rivets destroying the rotors. The fix was stick a new st of pads on. Went to look at the spare tire....there was none or jack. Verdict, car had been to the track many times. They had some new 2014's so retuned the car and got a new one. that dealership is what gives dealerships bad name. Oh yea when I asked about the spare, the salesman told some new cars don't come with a spare. This may be true for some cars but I doubt for the average new mustang.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Newer Mustang's don't come with a spare unless it is requested upon build. What gets put in place is a fix-a-flat kit on most of them. No jack with the "tire mobility kit." If it came with a spare, it will have a jack.

111804d1285861187-had-use-tire-mobility-kit-morning-img_7583.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back