Car died....help!

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
This morning I started the car, it ran for a few seconds, then sputtered and died like it ran out of gas. Can't get it to fire back up. Any ideas?

I checked the plugs and they were all wet and kinda fouled...I assume from so much cranking. I put in brand new plugs and tried it again but no luck. If I press the gas while cranking it sputters a little but that's it.

I checked the fuel pressure using the SCT datalogger and it showed 40ish going up to 70ish while cranking.

No codes. Started it earlier in the morning and it ran fine.

Could it be the fuel rail pressure sensor? How can I diagnose it?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Take the vacuum line off the frps and see if it smells like fuel.

Recently a guys sensor went out. The diaphragm inside burst and could smell fuel in that line

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
Take the vacuum line off the frps and see if it smells like fuel.

Recently a guys sensor went out. The diaphragm inside burst and could smell fuel in that line

It does smell a little. I took it off to inspect it and noticed it rattled when I shake it. Is that normal?

I'm stumped on this one...has spark, can hear the fuel pump, has fuel pressure according to sct logging, checked injector circuit with a noid and it's firing as well. Didn't check all eight COP's and injectors thinking if a few are working all is good.

Car seems like it almost wants to start, hear it catch every once in a while when cranking.

I normally don't just throw parts at a car to try to fix it, but I went to the Ford dealer to see how much a new sensor was....195! Didn't get it since I wasn't sure if it would fix my problem and that's too expensive for a guess. I think I might go to a yard tomorrow to see if I can find one.

The car has the FRPP GT500 dual fuel pump setup and FRPP 47lb/hr injectors that were installed in July. Has been running fine until today.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It does smell a little. I took it off to inspect it and noticed it rattled when I shake it. Is that normal?

I'm stumped on this one...has spark, can hear the fuel pump, has fuel pressure according to sct logging, checked injector circuit with a noid and it's firing as well. Didn't check all eight COP's and injectors thinking if a few are working all is good.

Car seems like it almost wants to start, hear it catch every once in a while when cranking.

I normally don't just throw parts at a car to try to fix it, but I went to the Ford dealer to see how much a new sensor was....195! Didn't get it since I wasn't sure if it would fix my problem and that's too expensive for a guess. I think I might go to a yard tomorrow to see if I can find one.

The car has the FRPP GT500 dual fuel pump setup and FRPP 47lb/hr injectors that were installed in July. Has been running fine until today.

A frps costs about $40 on ebay. Try rockauto.com too. Sometimes a fuse blows for no reason and ruins your day. Why do you think it's the frps? Didn't you say the plugs were wet? I'm pretty sure that you can unplug the frps and start a car with a bad frps. You can't do much more than idle but it will start if the frps is the issue.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I just tried starting with the frps unplugged and still no start.

Looked for blown fuses...didn't see any.

One thing that was weird was I got a trunk ajar warning but the trunk was closed. I even opened and closed, but still said trunk was open. Never seen that before.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Take out the fuel pump relay and turn it over for about 10 seconds. See if that does anything. If not, put it back and try again.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Sounds like it flooded for some reason. Mine does this about every 6 months or so. I'm trying to nail down the parameters in when it does it but they are so few and far between it's hard. It never does it on a cold start but it doesn't do it when it's hot. It seems to want to do it when the car has sat for a short period of time like an 1.5 to 2 hours. It always starts up again when I hold the pedal on the floor for a few cranks and then slowly let the throttle peddle back up and she will start before the pedal comes all the way up. I usually hold it for a few seconds at the point at which it starts before I let it idle. Just long enough to gain a smooth idle.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like it flooded for some reason. Mine does this about every 6 months or so. I'm trying to nail down the parameters in when it does it but they are so few and far between it's hard. It never does it on a cold start but it doesn't do it when it's hot. It seems to want to do it when the car has sat for a short period of time like an 1.5 to 2 hours. It always starts up again when I hold the pedal on the floor for a few cranks and then slowly let the throttle peddle back up and she will start before the pedal comes all the way up. I usually hold it for a few seconds at the point at which it starts before I let it idle. Just long enough to gain a smooth idle.

I got a FRPS from a junkyard and tried starting again. Still didn't start but sounded like it wanted to. I did the pedal trick you spoke of and it finally fired up with a P0183. I reset that code and it seems ok now.

Still says trunk ajar...gotta look at that now.

*Edit* The trunk panel was still out of the car...that's why the trunk switch didn't make. Warning gone now.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Whenever you have a severe flood-out you should check your oil. Fuel will wash the cylinder walls and not allow the oil to properly lubricate the motor. Enough fuel can create a hydro lock situation. I would sniff the dipstick, if it has a strong fuel odor to it, I'd dump it. There is always a small build up of fuel in the oil, most of it gets evaporated via PCV over time. In a flooding incident, it is possibly to bleed enough fuel to dilute the oil. Either way, oil is cheap. Just my $.02

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back