Car not going into gear anything over 6k rpm

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
My 5.0 won't go into gear anything over 6k. Period. It will shift fine at 5900, but will just grind at 6k+ and stay in neutral. every gear is the same. 6th gear grinds a little too. As of now, I give up on trying to figure out what it is. It sounds like a pressure plate/clutch issue/throw out bearing, but it also sounds like the 2010+ gt500 1-2 bang shift issue. what do you guys think it is? My pockets aren't deep enough for me to just throw a tranny and clutch in there and that not be the issue.

Car info:
2011 5.0, m6.

Mods:
Mmr 1500 pro mod bottom end
Spec stage 3 clutch
Barton shifter and shifter bracket
3.73 gears (howl)
JBA long tube headers
3" off road x pipe and 4" bullets dumped before the axle
Boss 302 intake
Jlt intake
Lower/upper control arms
Frpp lowering springs
Dyno tune by mod mafia performance. Car dyno'd at 440whp on a bad dyno, should be around 470-480.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
Shifter broke, threw a new one in there thinking it'll fix the issue. Still doing the exact same thing.

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
Do you still have that assist spring for the clutch?

Theory: Centrifical force along with the help from the spring isn't helping you shift at high RPM.

If removing that spring doesn't work then it's a clutch/pressure plate/tb issue.

I would have the fluid in the tranny checked and replaced as well.

automatt

Reaction score
It may be a clutch not disengaging all the way. May be a mix between the known issues with the clutch design and clutch is on its way out if you beat on it a lot and stock clutch isn't meant for that much higher then stock power.

Id say replace the clutch flywheel and get the braided line before you start digging into the trans.

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
The clutch spring is still there.. I just ordered a the white line transmission bushing that goes on top of the tranny mount. I'll slap it in and if that fixes it, great! If not, I'm throwing in a Mach 600 clutch in it with a resurfaced flywheel and replacing the 6th gear syncro.

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
Bump. Abdullagt500 drove the car yesterday and it was worse than ever with him.

D

Deleted member 162826

I'd try the jpc clutch line. It's $70 shipped about and around. The stock line is extremely restrictive. From what I've researched when shifting fast at high rpms it doesn't have the velocity needed to get the fluid where it needs to be. Hence bad shifting. I haven't had a problem with mine. But since I'll be around 600hp I got the Barton bracket, witeline mount, and the jpc line came today. I'll be swapping out my fluid for some fresh dot 4 I think is what people said was better than stock. For a few bucks it should help my mt82 live and that's my goal.

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
I ordered the jpc line yesterday and put the whiteline bushing in this weekend. The car now goes into gear at any rpm I just can't shift" fast" and have to force it in there.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
It was replaced under warranty about 40k miles ago

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to replace the 6th gear synchro anyways, I just really want to pinpoint the issue before I drop the transmission.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
Removing the spring made huge difference in high rim shifts for me. I mean HUGE, you should take that out asap!

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
It's out. Didn't really do much. I'm dropping the transmission tonight and ordered a mach 500 clutch and throw out bearing with over night shipping

Blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Reaction score
I was gonna suggest that while you have the mt-82 out, "revolution auto" will rebuild your tranny from end to end for about $1800. I know 2 guys that have had this done and are pleased with the results.

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
If I had that mind of cash to spare I'd just get a t56

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
God damnit. Should work in about 10

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back