car overheated need help

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
ok my 08 GT with 37000 miles overheated for the first time ever yesterday while idling.the car was idling for about 15 minutes right after a short drive,i noticed the temp light on and needle pegged to hot.i shut the car off and there was steam and antifreeze all over.after about an hour of checkin things out i noticed fans not coming on. even when ac on they didnt move.The car never overheated again aftger that even on the ride home and my trip to auto store.after much google searching and searching here on the site i replaced the fuse and fan relays with no luck.my next thought is to replace the fan as American Muscle has them cheap.but before i do i need some thoughts before i spend the money and find thats the problem.Went to Ford dealership too today and they want 105 just to look at the car lol.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
killrv8 I was feeling ambitious so i removed fan and had battery hooked right to it.didnt spin.just had a new fan ordered from American muscle 100 bucks next day delivery.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
ok put fan in still nothing.i dont get it.when i was going to plug new one in i notice one of the ports on the plug coming from harness where the pin goes was a little black like it was burnt

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
anything in passenger side fuse box i should check?

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
ok put fan in still nothing.i dont get it.when i was going to plug new one in i notice one of the ports on the plug coming from harness where the pin goes was a little black like it was burnt

Make sure that connection is tight and clean the black off your plugs, you probably had some arcing going on at some point. you might need to get a meter or voltage light and see if you got 12v

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
not sure.i checked all fuses and relays even number 19 in pass kick panel.when i jumped fan yesterday and today from battery it still wouldnt work so i assumed it was fan.new fan in and nothing.turn ac on still nothing very frustrating

ski

forum member
Reaction score
Did you turn the HVAC selector setting to MAX A/C, and the HVAC fan to HIGH when you checked if the cooling fan would run?

If so, then check the cooling fan's ground wire setup(it's brown colored according to the Cooling Fan .pdf file someone else posted).
If that ground wire is part of the incoming wiring bundle that connects to the cooling fan's integral wiring, then in addition to running a wire directly from the battery's positive terminal to check if the to the cooling fan's motor is good, you'll probably also have to run a separate ground wire directly from the battery's negative terminal to the cooling fan's integral ground port. Otherwise, the fan motor will not be grounded, and it will obviously not run even if it is good.

If it still doesn't run after doing both of the above, then the culprit is probably either a bad electrical connector/wire, or a dodgy PCM.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
anyone know the part number for that connector that runs from harness too fan?also if i have to take to dealership do you think they will scan for codes and if so will my tune be ok?ive heard horror stories.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Did u get a new plug?

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
KY do you have a part number for the plug? also i was checkin out your sig.did you get that HP with boltons?i have an auto also.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
If your jumping it and it doesn't come on its either bad or your not doing something correctly. I would make sure I could get the fan to work outside of the car first so you know the fan works.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
well the fan is a new fan now.im thinking the plug is the culptrit.will find out today when i put volt meter on it.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
Fixed it. Ground on car harness was burnt. Cleaned it and made sure power was getting to it.also the plug was a tight fit with new fan so no contact was being made. Took out fan and sanded the plug so it was a looser fit .all works now and turns out old fan was t broke. Anyone know part number for that plug would still like to replace

Ky S197

forum member
Reaction score
I tried to find the connector with no luck our local dealer told me i would have to order the whole harness.:roflmao: I replaced the fan and found the correct size connectors to the fan.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
where did you find connector?aslo is your motor stock or boltons?

08 Sangria

Reaction score
try clipsandfasteners.com

or use the sticky here

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back