Carbon Fiber Hood / Strut Options

Waakeeen

Reaction score
Sorry if I there's something already out there I tried searching but didn't find exactly what I needed. I got a new carbon fiber hood and had to use the old prop because the gas struts I had previous are too strong and may cause damage. I'm looking to see if anyone has found an alternative to propping the hood open or possible ideas. I was thinking of drilling out one of the holes in the hood struts so I can snap it on/off when the hood is up. Let me know what y'all think, thanks!

07 Boss

Reaction score
Two thoughts.

Can you measure the struts and their travel and get lighter ones?

I'm thinking the carbon fiber is going to be quite a bit stronger than our flimsy aluminum hoods, no?

Waakeeen

Reaction score
I haven't measured the travel yet was hoping someone already went through the trouble lol. As for the hood itself it's really not that sturdy compared to the aluminum one. It's a carbon fiber shell on a fiber glass mold if that makes sense.

IMG_4123.jpeg

IMG_4103.jpeg

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'm trying to remember what I did with my old hood struts when I replaced them. They lost enough to not keep the hood up. Might be perfect for a lighter hood. I will look for them but I doubt I will be able to find them readily as my garage is a disaster zone at the moment.

Waakeeen

Reaction score
I know about disasters too lol but yeah let me know if you find them I would take them off your hands. I also found a company called redline tuning they offer kits specific to carbon fiber hoods. So they say lol.

8A3549E2-5ED5-43AD-8A1F-042331047C2D.png

Waakeeen

Reaction score
I’ll have to check that out it’s crazy thou when the hood is open I can flex it easily. I ended putting hood pins right away most sketchiest thing I’ve done to date lol

TRC51

forum member
Reaction score
I am 90% sure I bought the Redlines years ago and have been happy with them (no problems).

Rugermack

Reaction score
I also have a carbon fiber hood going on, the Redlines look like the way to go. Carbon fiber are lighter than fiberglass, struts with less PSI are needed. Fiberglass uses heavier struts. Too much PSI will fold the hood like and older chevt truck hood.

moooosestang

Reaction score
I don't get it. Aren't almost every aftermarket hood either heavier or just as heavy as the stocker? Even trufibers hood says it's about 30lbs. OP, what hood is that?

JimC

Reaction score
I don't get it. Aren't almost every aftermarket hood either heavier or just as heavy as the stocker? Even trufibers hood says it's about 30lbs. OP, what hood is that?
The issue, compared to the stock hood, is the flex of the fiberglass or fiber hood. The strut pushes up on it while closed and the aftermarket hoods that aren't aluminum will bow eventually.

Laga

Reaction score
The issue, compared to the stock hood, is the flex of the fiberglass or fiber hood. The strut pushes up on it while closed and the aftermarket hoods that aren't aluminum will bow eventually.
I have had my Cervinis fiberglass hood and hood struts for over 5 years. This has not happened to mine.

JimC

Reaction score
I have had my Cervinis fiberglass hood and hood struts for over 5 years. This has not happened to mine.
Do you have the Cervini struts as well? They are designed to work with their hoods and not cause the bowing in the middle along the fender line.

Laga

Reaction score
Do you have the Cervini struts as well? They are designed to work with their hoods and not cause the bowing in the middle along the fender line.
They mount on the hinges. Not near the middle. C0EF524F-9CC7-4C50-BBCE-83B9FB7C50E9.jpeg

moooosestang

Reaction score
I haven't measured the travel yet was hoping someone already went through the trouble lol. As for the hood itself it's really not that sturdy compared to the aluminum one. It's a carbon fiber shell on a fiber glass mold if that makes sense.

View attachment 85779

View attachment 85780
Are you planning to get that clear coated? I really like that hood, but not sure if clear coat is necessary.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back