Carnage

ethic1

forum member
Reaction score
As some of you know my motor came apart. Here is a pic of the blown piston out of #7. Number 3 spark plug was blown in half as well.
Was out racing in mexico and on the 4th pull seen smoke in the rear veiw mirror. Car never got hot, never lost oil pressure, never any signs prior to the smoke. Still cant put my mind around what happen. Was on e85 and car had no signs of a hiccup or anything. Witness said he seen small puff of smoke on the second run but car never showed any other signs not even a sound that was out of the ordinary?

Attachments

• piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 69

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
built motor I take it?

ethic1

forum member
Reaction score
Yep. Aluminum block and Eagle rotating assemly stock compression

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So number 7 went all Chernobyl on you. Ouch.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Looks like detonation ate the piston, hmmmm this is not supposed to happen on E85!

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Yep looks like either too much timing, or not enough fuel, or both. I have one that looks similar. I'm not entirely sure what caused mine either. I never heard detonation, never saw any signs of a problem until it happened. I was even running a few gallons of 100 mixed in for "safety".

ethic1

forum member
Reaction score
Yep looks like either too much timing, or not enough fuel, or both. I have one that looks similar. I'm not entirely sure what caused mine either. I never heard detonation, never saw any signs of a problem until it happened. I was even running a few gallons of 100 mixed in for "safety".

Timing was about 20 which I believe is not to much on e85, fuel system was not even close to maxing on the dyno.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Wow..... that is pretty scary. E85 is very hard to detonated from everything I have seen and read. Very interested on what might have caused it.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
20 is on the light side for E85 (depending on boost) my current tune has 20.5* @ 21 psi

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
What is a good timing for 28psi on e85? That was what I was running and was pushing the timing on up when the head gasket went. Had it around 25-26 and it was still making gains in power and running good on the dyno.

ethic1

forum member
Reaction score
faulty injector causing lean condition?

That was a thought...

we had the timing all the way up to 26 but didnt gain much past 22 so turned it back down....I needed a bigger wastegate spring I think though...It would make more than 17

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back