cars dealerships

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Nice, didnt know that. What about a down paymebt say the car is 40k plus 10k trade in and 10k down payment. Am i only taxed on the 20k i owe?

No... The only tax break you get is on the taxes you already paid on the original car.

Basically, you do not have to pay the taxes twice in most States.

It has nothing to do with the down payment and everything to do with your trade in value. Paid for or not (Meaning still making payments or not).

Example...

$40k car, $10k trade. $40k car (10% rate) has a $4000 tax. The $10k trade pays $1000 of that tax, leaving you with $3000 in tax.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Have you ever bought a car... Taxes, yes, we pay taxes on everything. You'll pay for the "destination" charge at any dealership you go to. Tags, yes, you have to register the vehicle at the time of purchase. So you're going to pay "fees" anywhere you go. MSRP and Dealer Price is not OTD Price.

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
I am thinking sales tax, i been up for 18hrs between full time school and full time work. 30 just got out of the military. 07 new i got taken to the woodshed it was my first dealership bought car. I aint letting that happen again.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Plan is to put 10k down and hopefully get 10-11k minium for trade in

Texas charges sales tax. Google says that the states that don't charge sales tax are New Hampshire, Oregon, Delaware, Montana and Alaska; however, I don't know if there is a way to avoid paying the taxes if you register it in another state.

That might be a stretch on trade-in value, but anything is possible. Just keep searching. Best of luck!

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When trading in watch out for the "reconditioning fee" I was charged $1500 reconditioning fee which I thought "okay it does need a few things (small place where stitches came out of seat near head rest", but then I saw my car listed the same day. How in the hell does the dealer do $1500 worth of work in 3 hours......recondition fee is a rip off.

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
When trading in watch out for the "reconditioning fee" I was charged $1500 reconditioning fee which I thought "okay it does need a few things (small place where stitches came out of seat near head rest", but then I saw my car listed the same day. How in the hell does the dealer do $1500 worth of work in 3 hours......recondition fee is a rip off.

How would you fight the reconditioning fee

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Our recon fee is only $500 flat, unless additional work is warranted. That covers oil, oil filter, cabin air filter, windshield wiper blades, safety inspection, and the labor costs to perform those things.

Every vehicle purchase in Texas has vehicle sales tax. The only exemptions are Agriculture/State Issued Vehicles with machinery as part of the vehicle or municipalities. Even churches have to pay Vehicle Sales Tax.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back