Catch can on my Bolt-on 07 (suprising results)

SVTsupremecy

forum member
Reaction score
So This was my UPR catch can after 3,000ish miles on my 2007 GT. Im running JLT intake/SCT x2 bamachips tune, x pipe, Zoomers axleback. I installed it about 2,000 miles into my previous oil change and it caught about a couple tablespoons after 1,000 miles. This picture is after running it on its first full oil change and I am pretty suprised it was damn near full. I was running 6.5 qts Mobil 1 5w20 and a motorcraft Fl820s oil filter. my driving habits were roughly 19mpg with a good bit of highway driving with a few pulls here and there.

catchcan.jpg

alexthejew

Jewish and lovin it.
Reaction score
i have one and am happy. i get a bunch of oil every time as well

SVTsupremecy

forum member
Reaction score
Its pretty standard. Intake manifold and drivers side head to the catch can.

DGK

GHRTW
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the thin oil these motors require.

05sc281

1/4 mile freak !!
Reaction score
i installed a upr catch on a customers 05 GT on cold starts car will puff a cloud of smoke on startups , installed catchcan and now no more smoke ...

DGK

GHRTW
Reaction score
i installed a upr catch on a customers 05 GT on cold starts car will puff a cloud of smoke on startups , installed catchcan and now no more smoke ...

Valve guides? After the car is shut off maybe some oil get past the valve guides and gets into the combustion chamber and sits until startup. If the heads have loose tolerances could that, combined with the thinner oil cause this amount of oil to get in the catch can?

Thoughts?

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
If you put a PCV valve in line between the cam cover and the catch can, you will minimize how much oil gets to the catch can in the first place.That's how I set mine up, and my supercharged GT (with higher crankcase pressure) only has about an ounce or two of oil in the UPR catch can during oil changes. Here's how my set up looks so you can see placement of the PCV (it's just a couple inches after the cam cover)...

879508863803.jpg

2NY

icedesign
Reaction score
If you put a PCV valve in line between the cam cover and the catch can, you will minimize how much oil gets to the catch can in the first place.That's how I set mine up, and my supercharged GT (with higher crankcase pressure) only has about an ounce or two of oil in the UPR catch can during oil changes. Here's how my set up looks so you can see placement of the PCV (it's just a couple inches after the cam cover)...

Why dont you run breathers?..

Liberty911

forum member
Reaction score
That is a lot of oil! Makes you wonder how much the catch can doesn't catch.

I pulled my SC and intake off last weekend after about 3,000 miles. It was bone dry with only a very slight tint of oil on the intake, that covered approximately a 2 inch square area. I run breathers on each valve cover and a breather oil filler.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
is that a UPR catch can? If so its not even catching half of what it could be lol

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Why dont you run breathers?..

You cant just run a breather on the paxton/vortech kits on the drivers side cylinder head...it needs that PCV Valve or the car goes wacko...i blew that hose with the PCV valve off the first night running my car and the motor reved and held the rpms at 4800.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score

879508863803.jpg

Thanks for posting a pic, i've been wondering how I was gonna go about running a catch can.

alexthejew

Jewish and lovin it.
Reaction score
is that a UPR catch can? If so its not even catching half of what it could be lol

I didn't have a catch can for 70 k miles. At 72k I changed the charge motion plates to the steeda ones. Pretty damn clean. I got a catch can anyway. The same one and it catches a bit of oil. No complaints at all, so if you could elaborate...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back