Charlotte fella's need some help job wise, mechanical engineer looking to switch jobs

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!!

First of all I'll lay it out, my situation.

With my current job, it's a great job btw, I'm going to be forced essentially to move to Texas. That was fine and dandy till about a month ago when I met this girl. Now before you all go off on a rant about how I should never make a decision based on a girl there is more involved in the situation than just this girl. My grandfather, who raised me as a child when my Mom split on me when my dad died, is very sick. He's got a failing heart valve. Moving to Texas would mean that I wouldn't get to see him very often and since he's not doing well I don't want to do that. I want to spend what time I have left with him as well as be able to see the girl. She's great, never met a girl like her before and definitely wife material. I've never made any decision based on a girl but she's worth it. That's saying something....

Now, what I'm doing currently. I currently work for a general contractor in the area as an MEP Project Engineer. I've worked there since Jan 2012. Now what is a Project Engineer..... Basically I assist the Project Manager who runs the jobsite and coordinates everything to ensure the build goes as planned. We are the GC so we contract the subs and do all the legwork for the owner to ensure they get a quality product. As for my personal job tasks I have to do a lot of paperwork. I have to review all submittals and process them, get them to the Architect/Engineer and make sure everything arrives at the jobsite on time. I'm in our Mission Critical division so we build data centers. I've done an 8 million dollar project and caught the tale end of an 80 million dollar project. I don't do a whole lot of engineering work with this job which bothers me because I'm a problem solver. I do a lot of management with this job. I have to handle all coordination meetings, I handled the weekly subcontractor meetings, did the write ups for the owners meeting, when subs had a problem I had to come up with an answer. I'm just really looking for something different. Something more engineering based than this. My company has invested a ton of money into me training wise for this company on how to manage essentially but I'm just not so sure I want to manage subcontractors the rest of my life. I want to do something more.

Maybe you guys will have some ideas or some windows into a company. I'm the type of guy who wants to be the 30 year man. I want a company and to stick with them so long as they take care of me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back