Christmas Break Project

Topless Stang

Reaction score
After sitting in my garage for nearly 2+ years I've finally gathered the testicular fortitude to install my ProCharger Kit. So far I've done brakes, audio equipment installations and switched out my entire exhaust system, but installing F/I will be my biggest project to date. I've already taken off two weeks from work for my holiday vacation and I figured that would allot me plenty of time to get this done during the night while the wife and kiddies are asleep. I know it won't take two weeks, but I'm going to go slow and make sure I have everything covered and can spend some time during that two weeks breaking it in!!

My main reason for writing this post is to get any last minute tips and tricks from the gurus here. I want to make sure I have all the tools and various nick knacks so no surprises creep up during my install. I purchased the all inclusive kit that included the air cooler and tuner. I already had an SCT tuner so I will be taking my car back to stock very shortly. After I get this done and my 'mod balls' grow I'm thinking I'll tackle getting my 8.8" rear on an installing some gauges. Is a Diablo MAFia a recommended purchase prior to installing this kit, or is it something I can just add in later when I do my gauges? I was planning on getting two of the Terminator/Aeroforce Scan Gauges so I didn't think the MAFia was needed. Everything I need to at least have my kit installed and running properly should be in this kit. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think you understand what the MAFia does.

you need one to extend the range of the MAF - I don't think you will need it.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
You'll most likely need the maf.ia to extend the voltage range on the maf sensor, which will be important for tuning Depending on the pulley size (and hence boost), the stock maf sensor will run out of the usable range of values once air flow volume is exceeded. The mafia changes the range of the voltage across the maf sensor, making it more usable across a wider range of air flow volume.
However, the tuner must take into account the different air flow rates.

The gauges have nothing to do with the mafia. You can also use a different maf sensor in place of the stock maf, but it's easier and usually less expensive to just plug the mafia in (one end of its cable plugs into the maf, the other into the engine harness' maf sensor plug, so it goes in series between the harness and sensor).

You can ask me more about it on the other forum as well :)

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You've had procharger sitting in a box for over 2 years???

Topless Stang

Reaction score
Yeah...it was sitting for a couple years. I bought it when I had the cash to do so...but I was intimidated a little by the install. Before this car I had never even changed my own oil. I bought the ProCharger, lcas, double adj uca, koni yellows, vogtland springs, gt500 upper strut mount, a new jounce kit, Moroso catch can, GT500 Rear Bumper & a takeoff 8.8" rear w/4.10s. I just kept adding stuff to the pile of equipment in my garage. Now after installing the Procharger everything else will be going in shortly...I know I left a couple things off, but there's a lot in there.

As far as the install goes I worked on it for a few hours each night while my family slept. It took a few days working like that to get it in, but I was able to get everything in. I never did anything like this, much less alone, so it was sort of a PITA. It wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be though. While I did this install I also added in a Moroso Oil Separator, Screamin' Demon, LiveWires, new plugs & I also Seafoamed the car prior to install. Next up I'll be ordering and installing an Auto Meter Boost/VAC gauge, Aeroforce Interceptor w/Fuel/Oil Pressure & WideBand AFR. The plan is to fit them in two of the Roush Vent Pods. Not that this is over that 8.8" rear w/4.10s that I bought around the same time is going to be going in sometime before spring. Suddenly it doesn't seem as daunting...

If anyone wants to pick up my JLT CAI and SCT Tuner I will be putting them up shortly. Thanks to all who helped me and answered my noobish questions! Below are some pics of the carnage!!

IMG_0004_zpsda983e8a.jpg

IMG_0037_zpsc481e357.jpg

IMG_0037_zpsc481e357.jpg

IMG_0030_zps0d0eb2c6.jpg

IMG_0020_zpsf922f390.jpg

IMG_0010_zps6fe801e5.jpg

IMG_0005_zpsa0e7a2b9.jpg

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Build is coming along nicely! Something I always wanted to do in my 4.0. Got rid of it before I could though.

Do you have the 03-04 cobra flange for the 8.8? If not I have one from when I was going to install an 8.8 in mine and never did.

I'll let it go cheap!

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No worries! Just trying to help you out if you needed it! Make sure to post more pics and videos when it's a finished up!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back