Chunk out of tire

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
Had a small chunk taken out of tire by a malicious curb. Almost an inch long...maybe 3/8" deep. Its right on the rim protector area. Do you think I should replace? See pic.IMG_0718.jpg

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
Superficial. Should not be an issue.
Thanks for weighing in. Thats kinda what I figured. It just looks horrible. The tires have about 8/32 tread on them, so I was thinking of getting a used to replace it that's at the same wear point. Just because I'm anal.

JC SSP

Reaction score
If the tire is non-directional and non-asymmetrical you can flip the tire (outside in) and you will never see it again...

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
With zero qualifications, I agree the missing chunk doesn't appear to be a concern. On the other hand, those four pieces of rubber support us at all kinds of speeds and panic stops. Pretty important part of our driving safety.

crjackson

Reaction score
Unless you’re showing the car (and I don’t think you are), I wouldn’t bother doing anything with it. No one is inspecting your tires while you’re rolling down the street. If they are, they won’t notice that, or care either.

BullittSS

Reaction score

PJ042

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IMHO I’d replace. Never know what internal structural damage may have resulted. That close to the bead, ????

JC SSP

Reaction score
That’s actually close to the curb guard not the bead which is inside sealed up against the rim.

If you very concerned, then buy another tire and relegate this one to full tire spare.

But my honest and professional opinion, superficial and should not be an issue. Oh in a previous life I was a Goodyear corporate trained store manger when I was in my mid-20s. So I know a little about tires but it’s up to you what direction to take.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back