Clarification on replacing intrument cluster

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
My 05 GT's speedo and tach are acting up, so looks like the cluster needs to be replaced. I've read numerous threads on here, but still can't seem to get a solid consensus on what the process for replacing the cluster is. My local dealer told me that they could order the cluster and replace it, and that they needed my VIN and mileage to get started. Cost is outrageous, as you can imagine. I contacted Tousley, and their cost is about $200 cheaper than the cost the dealer quoted me (cluster cost, alone). The person I spoke with seemed to believe that if I give him the car's VIN and mileage, they could provide an instrument cluster that I can install myself and be good to go. However, many threads mention that I need to get the dealer involved to program in the 'built as' data.
Bottom line is...what's the correct answer here? Can I give Tousley the VIN and mileage, and do this myself, or will it require shop time at the dealer. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Just so that you know, I'm aware that the stepper motors can be replaced, but that kind of work ain't my game. Also, I am NOT implying that Tousley gave me bad gouge. Love those guys....

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
My 05 GT's speedo and tach are acting up, so looks like the cluster needs to be replaced. I've read numerous threads on here, but still can't seem to get a solid consensus on what the process for replacing the cluster is. My local dealer told me that they could order the cluster and replace it, and that they needed my VIN and mileage to get started. Cost is outrageous, as you can imagine. I contacted Tousley, and their cost is about $200 cheaper than the cost the dealer quoted me (cluster cost, alone). The person I spoke with seemed to believe that if I give him the car's VIN and mileage, they could provide an instrument cluster that I can install myself and be good to go. However, many threads mention that I need to get the dealer involved to program in the 'built as' data.
Bottom line is...what's the correct answer here? Can I give Tousley the VIN and mileage, and do this myself, or will it require shop time at the dealer. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Just so that you know, I'm aware that the stepper motors can be replaced, but that kind of work ain't my game. Also, I am NOT implying that Tousley gave me bad gouge. Love those guys....

Tousley should be good to go
the real issue is trying to put a 2005 cluster in like a 2008
2005 has no prevision for TPMS that came later on our cars

also its a simple swap Plug and Play
But you may want to consider upgrading to a my color dash
All you need is a Cluster and the control buttons that sit in the center of the dash to the left of the Cig Plug
Its an easy swap
Only need the dealer if you want stuff like the mileage to be correct

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
Already have My Color, so all I need is the correct cluster. Isn't there something about keying PATS to the cluster? Does loading the 'as built' data include the PATS keying? There has to be someone on this board that has gone through this. I wan't to make sure I do this right the first time.

Foozeh

forum member
Reaction score
Swapping your cluster does not cause any problems with PATS. At least for me it has not, if you were to replace the ecu/ignition/keys then it would.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
If you order from Tousley, the cluster actually comes from the cluster service outfit that does all of these, they program the mileage rather than letting dealerships do it for the obvious reason. You'll have to pay a core and it will be refunded once Tousley gets the core back from you.

You need a IDS/VCM, then you do this with it:

1. Put the correct as built into the cluster.
2. Enter security and do a parameter reset. This clears the PCM ID from the cluster and tells the PCM to send the ID so the cluster can store it.
3. Program the 2 master keys into the cluster.
4. Optional. There are some things you can do like turn on/off the ability for the cluster to store unlimited keys, program more keys than the initial 2 without an IDS, etc.

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
If you order from Tousley, the cluster actually comes from the cluster service outfit that does all of these, they program the mileage rather than letting dealerships do it for the obvious reason. You'll have to pay a core and it will be refunded once Tousley gets the core back from you.

You need a IDS/VCM, then you do this with it:

1. Put the correct as built into the cluster.
2. Enter security and do a parameter reset. This clears the PCM ID from the cluster and tells the PCM to send the ID so the cluster can store it.
3. Program the 2 master keys into the cluster.
4. Optional. There are some things you can do like turn on/off the ability for the cluster to store unlimited keys, program more keys than the initial 2 without an IDS, etc.

So, is it safe to assume that the dealership/service department would be the ones to handle the IDS/VCM procedure?

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
So, is it safe to assume that the dealership/service department would be the ones to handle the IDS/VCM procedure?

Dealership will have an IDS/VCM, but it's not exclusive to them, many independent shops and locksmiths have them as well. You can buy one of your own if you want. I have a friend with a small shop I borrow one from when I need it.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
It is not a PLUG AND PLAY at all. Like Kdanner stated you have to have the IDS/VCM to do it. I am sure if you do some local research to yourself you can find a locksmith that does programming also!

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
OK. Next question: If I order the reman Dorman cluster, and install it myself, will I be able to drive it to a shop to have the IDS/VCM work done?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
FYI....ive swapped atleast 2 different clusters and never had to do anything other than unplug it and plug it back in.....not a single problem. I had the base non-my color gauges and swapped to the my-color cluster....then swapped again once i found one that had the correct milage.

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
FYI....ive swapped atleast 2 different clusters and never had to do anything other than unplug it and plug it back in.....not a single problem. I had the base non-my color gauges and swapped to the my-color cluster....then swapped again once i found one that had the correct milage.
Willy,
Do you think that your clusters were truly 'plug and play' because they were used? This is what is so confusing. For every guy that says it's plug and play, there's another that says that someone else has to get involved with programming the cluster (IDS/VCM). I'm wondering if the programming is for new, never installed clusters.
Also, regarding the clusters you swapped in, were they from vehicles with configurations common to your car (e.g., rear gear ration, TPS, ABS, etc.)? Thanks!

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
They were all used, have no idea on the configurations.

Everything works on the cluster, never had any issues with keys not working or car not starting....never a single glitch or issue...two different clusters. Worst case, you get it and then to take it somewhere....I never needed to.

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
Also be aware, last I checked the gt500 cluster is about $30 more than the GT cluster (from Tousley), and much much nicer imo. Nice upgrade.

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
Thanks, Willy. I just found a speedo shop here locally that can repair/replace the stepper motors. Might go that route. It seems to be cheaper than replacing the cluster.

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
Also, regarding the Dorman reman OEM cluster, Dorman can't confirm that the cluster has MyColor. WTF???? Not taking a chance on that, I guess. I just wish there was an affordable way to replace it myself. This sucks.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Also, regarding the Dorman reman OEM cluster, Dorman can't confirm that the cluster has MyColor. WTF???? Not taking a chance on that, I guess. I just wish there was an affordable way to replace it myself. This sucks.

To my knowledge...all 6 gauge clusters have my color and the 4 gauge clusters do not. Mine actually came with the 4 gauge, non-my color.

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
very easy to do! what do you want to know? I also have plenty of pictures of when I changed out my factory over lay to the saleen 200 mph one.here's just an example..

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score

Do the install yourself and save the money,then all you'll need to do is get the Ford place to reprogram the computer..

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Replacing the stepper motors is pretty damn simple. There's definitely a write-up on it somewhere around here. You can get the stepper motors for cheap too.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back