Cleaning SJB Pins and Harnesses

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Like most people, my SJB has some corrosion on it. I have a replacement SJB that I'm wanting to install that has 0 corrosion on it. I want to be clean the harnesses that plug into it since they have corrosion on them. I can't think of a good way to do this other than soaking them in a baking soda or other solution, light scrub with a tooth brush, rinsing the hell out of them, blowing them try with compressed air, then using dielectric grease to prevent new corrosion.

Any other suggestions or objections to this cleaning method?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Use Isopropyl Alcohol. Many electric contact cleaners will damage plastic and ABS so you have to be careful about using them. Been there done that. 90% Isopropyl Alcohol will dry quickly and as mentioned use an acid brush. Cut the bristles on the brush down so they are about half the original length. Be very careful about getting overly aggressive and bending pins on male connectors. Use compressed air to blow out all connectors and then allow them to dry over night.

ABOVE ALL DO NOT AS MENTIONED SUBMERGE THE CONNECTORS IN ANY CLEANING AGENT, AND USE THE ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL SPARINGLY.

Conductive grease is not a good idea IMHO as it can cause shorts across connector pins if put on over abundantly. Proper repair of the interior leak that has caused this damage is the better route. A sealed connector inside a car will as a rule not corrode unless it has been introduced to moisture.

Good luck.

travelers

Reaction score
dielectric grease is not a good idea. low voltage like the 5 volts sensors don't like it and some won't even work. I had that problem on a Ford pickup after trying to keep moisture out.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used a bristle brush and rubbing alcohol then some silicone grease when I was done, also sealed the wire loom going to the connector better with some electrical tape. No issues since.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
dielectric grease is not a good idea. low voltage like the 5 volts sensors don't like it and some won't even work. I had that problem on a Ford pickup after trying to keep moisture out.

Yeah, I only like using dielectric grease on spark plug wires.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back