Clunking end links

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have had this problem for years, replaced the end links, and still get it. I don't know for sure if I get it on left hand turns but definitely on right turns- if I go into a sharp turn at a good speed, on my initial turn-in I get a clunk from my driver's side front wheel area and I'm pretty sure it's the end link because I don't get this sound at any other time.

I replaced the end links a couple years ago, it still did this right after so I pulled the wheel off and checked and the bolts on both ends of the link were tight with no noticeable play that I could see...so why am I still getting this?

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Could also be a Ball joint? Camber plate? Tie rod end? A-arm bushing? Strut going out?... Etc...

There's a lot of things that can "clunk" up there. Your going to have to wiggle and pry on stuff until you find it...watch this:

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I see in your sig you have lowering springs. Lowering springs require camber plates with shperical bearings to correct caster/camber and tie rods with heim joints to correct bump steer. When everything is new things are great. After a few months on a daily driven street car with pot holes, curbs, speed bumps, and the like things wear out quick. I hated the clunking to. Thats why I went back to stock springs, gt500 strut mounts, and stock tie rods. No more clunks. Spherical bearings and heim joints = metal on metal.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would think if any front end components were that worn, it would have been caught during my yearly inspection. I replaced the front arms and ball joints about 38K ago just because of that, also I my GT500 strut mounts and struts have less than 20K on them. I dunno maybe it is because of the springs then.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Do you have the stock front LCA's or GT-500's? I had replaced mine w/stock (first go around) and the metal corroded and failed around the ball joints in less than 2 yrs. Replaced those w/GT-500 units and been fine ever since. I also upgraded the front sway bar links to heavy duty metal units with grease zerks. Over 2 years now ... Good so far.

Speaking of tie-rod ends I also replaced both sides and was amazed at how much steering tightened up. I thought it was good before; now it's great.

Last edited:

JC SSP

Reaction score
Not being judgmental, but a front end knocking for more than 2 years? WOW that would drive me crazy!

Consider removing the entire sway bar and end links as an assembly... see if the knocking is still there or has gone away...

If it's gone then you know it's your end links or even sway bar bushings, but that's an easy fix.

If it's still there it's another issue, ball joint. strut mount, etc. A reputable automotive chassis/suspension shop might be able to find the problem...

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Not being judgmental, but a front end knocking for more than 2 years? WOW that would drive me crazy!

Consider removing the entire sway bar and end links as an assembly... see if the knocking is still there or has gone away...

If it's gone then you know it's your end links or even sway bar bushings, but that's an easy fix.

If it's still there it's another issue, ball joint. strut mount, etc. A reputable automotive chassis/suspension shop might be able to find the problem...

I've been dealing with a clunk/rattle in the rear end of my car for probably 6+ years now. I can't find it. I've changed everything I can think of and had it on my lift way more than I'd like to admit. It's a joking point with my wife now, she swears I just hear it in my head. I'm tired of messing with it.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Well, if the Wife doesn't hear it then it's OK! LOL

Seriously, it would drive me crazy... I can live with increased NVH from solid motor mounts, and even the whine of a crash-style gear box, but a clunk or knock that I know is not supposed to be there would be a serious issue with me...

My Wife's 2005 Dodge Durango 2WD 5.7 Hemi at around 250K had a creak from the front suspension when going over speed bumps or deep dips in the road... It went to the dealer, and several shops and no one could pin-point the issue. I had already replaced some worn parts (sway bar end links, bushings, shocks) and even some high-milage parts which did not have any play (tie rod ends, etc.), but never found the actual cause. Strange white lithium grease sprayed into the torsion bar area would quite it down for a couple of months, so that was my solution. I traded the 05' Durango in with 297K April for a new 23' Durango R/T and so far so good...

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I Just turn up the stereo, and I made the exhaust louder, lol

I only hear it when I'm going down my super pot-hole filled driveway and private road (limerock), otherwise it's quiet. But yes, it does drive me absolutely crazy. I've spent countless hours underneath that car on the lift in an attempt to stop it and thrown all kinds of parts and bushings at it. It will stop for a day or so, but always comes back.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Honestly my car makes so many noises going over bumps, this one probably bothers me the least.

And yes they are stock LCA's. At the time I didn't want to spend the cash for GT500's. My end links do have zerks but they are basically stock replacements.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back