CobraRed's HPDE-DD Build Thread

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
The beginning of this canyon road is 1.0 mile from my house, not a bad score for my area. It's a road in between two cities but there's other main roads south of it that are flat and much faster and a freeway north of it so no one takes this one. Even on weekdays during rush hours there's a car maybe every 4-5 mins, evenings nearly 8-10 mins.

It's a 2 mile section with 680 feet of elevation to the first adjoining road. When I follow my friends decently set-up HPDE S2000 on autocross tires he gets to the top a good 10-15 seconds before me (neither of us pushing too hard). Been going up and down this road 1-2 times a week trying to feel out the stock set-up (which feels like a boiled potato on wheels) before I make changes to get a good idea of where I'm going w/out having to hit the track all the time.

PEJwdb1.png

Working on my friend's S2K:
lye1NPT.jpg

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I have the rod end combo LCA on mine. Really makes the car charge for the hills!

17334844696_3c1fddfb38_c.jpg

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Very nice. Yeah, I plan on seeing how these elastomeric arms do. They could always turn out being the weak link as far as solid rear end placement goes, but I'm thinking they won't.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
UPS just dropped off my wheels :rice:. The packaged shipping weight of each is less than a bare Track-Pack wheel all while being wider. Damn you Ford:beatdown:

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Do tell, what wheels did you end up going with? Specs?

There was no confirmation I could find these fit over the Brembo's, so I didn't want to count my eggs.

But as it turns out, there's a good 3/8-1/2" clearance no problem.

:rice:WARNING, RICE BELOW:rice:

Rota 19x9.5 +38 Tint Graphite. It's a darkish gray with a tinted aluminum lip and center. I like that the aluminum areas don't look like polished/bare/chrome.
They are advertised as 25lbs, but on a scale show 23.8lbs. Weighed by itself: 23.8. Me holding subtracting my weight 23.6lbs.

5.7lbs lighter per wheel than the previous 19x9.5 GT500 route I was going and a shameful 7.7lbs lighter than the Track-Pack 19x9's. These are the same size and backspacing as the GT500 wheels and sit similarly. Like 1/8-1/4" poke front fender with tons of room behind it for tire clearance. I'm going to need the narrower lugs like 6-spline as the OEM are too chubby (i'm guessing chrome is better than black for looks). Also the ricey Rota center caps don't fit over the dust cover/boot on the hub which is a somewhat well known problem and I register no cares.

NXWwe8w.jpg

6QDzjk7.jpg

HmvXEY2.jpg

HhkH1b2.jpg

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Why not 10's or 11's?

I actually think those Rotas look pretty good. Nice for DD purposes.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
There is definitely a weight difference between the Brembo's and lighter wheels like my Apex's (18x10's). You can toss the Apex's around, the Brembo's take a little effort to lift.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
There is definitely a weight difference between the Brembo's and lighter wheels like my Apex's (18x10's). You can toss the Apex's around, the Brembo's take a little effort to lift.

I know a guy who works for Apex, was in my college car club. Def plan on hitting him up for my track set.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
nice choice. i went similar, but 18x9.5 bronze
UvMrltUl.jpg

Hah, good to see former SCS guys have similar taste. Where do I get a raised center cap like that?

They are surprisingly light. And I notice the only hate Im getting is from import crowds I frequent surprisingly, I guess when your car is slow and you just go places and park it people care a lot about "legit" wheel brands.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Liking them a lot. Obviously going from a meh tire in 255 to a decent tire in 285 is going to be a difference, but even factoring that I have been impressed. A lot more confidence coming out of corners and a lot less tire noise in switch backs. I read a lot before buying these, the Contact DW has had some good rep even among the miata crowd. But i think they save weight via the sidewall construction and obtain a more comfortable ride that way. Wanting to run 285 square on 9.5's I wanted to make sure the sidewall was nice and robust.

Sort of just highlights the need for the suspension to go in having grip now. I have a free week off coming up, all of this stuff will hopefully be going in.

frink84

Reaction score
Hah, good to see former SCS guys have similar taste. Where do I get a raised center cap like that?

came with the wheels. they are avid.01's, might be able to buy centers from the mfg. i can measure the diameter of the hole to see if they would work with the rotas. the logo is a separate sticker

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
came with the wheels. they are avid.01's, might be able to buy centers from the mfg. i can measure the diameter of the hole to see if they would work with the rotas. the logo is a separate sticker

Ehh, been running just the dust boots up front and flat black center caps out back to match and like it so far. Probably going to just rock it. Thanks for the info.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
The sound deadening under the rear seats, where the UCA mounts, and over the differential in the trunk. Everything still fits back together nicely.

DbwypW7.jpg

GP1gvo9.jpg

TdQofqR.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back