Cold weather, first time at track suggetions

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I never been to a 1/4 mile track to run a car before. Only been there as a spectator and only 1/4 miles I ever ran was on a dyno years ago. I have a chance of going to Atco this Friday morning at 9am black friday run there holding. I have an automatic, summer only street tires, and looks like at 9-10 AM it will be 33-35 degrees. I know with my goodyear supercars I wont wont run best times I would imagine being so cold. But any pointers would be great! Now after I go through the water pit I know I need to do a burn out to clean my tires and warm them up. I would think I need TC fully off but how long to clean tires 3-5 seconds or longer? Next being so cold out and summer only tires, should I run with TC on? Also from I read, since I dont have a tune on the car, best RPMs to launch is 1500-1800?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
borrow a real tire

in the Shelby manual it says the GYs should not be driven in sub 40* temps

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Acto is awesome, ran my best times there with my old LS1 car when I lived in NY.

If the track prep is good, you may still hook. Leave at idle after a small burnout and turn off everything.

deathwishracer

forum member
Reaction score
It will be really hard to keep heat in the track at those temps. Most tracks around here won't run unless it's close to 50. I would get some better tires, for sure

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've run Atco in as low as 39* IIRC. With a DR I could get 1.6 60's

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I know the my tires aren't the best this time of year. There fine on the street below 40 as long as the roads aren't wet then I never take the car out as it sucks. But as mentioned under 50 degrees they break lose easily. I don't get many chances to get free where can get to the track and fit my schedule. That is why hoping to go Friday even though not the best temperature for my tires. It does appear everyone is an agreement my tires will be my biggest handicap. Thanks for your opinions!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back