Color Sanding

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
OK, so I have some orange peel on the car that I would like to get rid of.

Does anyone know of a good video that is clear enough to walk someone who has never done it before through the process?

My only real fear is that I will get frustrated with the time it will take.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Mike Phillips from Autogeek has a few videos on youtube.

I personally would stick with Meguiars sanding papers and blocks as they are the best IMO.

Buy a few scrap panels from a junk yard and practice first. Unfortunately sanding is all about patience.

You will need a buffer afterwards to clean up the sanding marks. Products like M101 and M105 from Meguiars with a Hydrotech Cyan Pad, can clean up sanding marks as aggressive as 1500 grit.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Mike Phillips from Autogeek has a few videos on youtube.

I personally would stick with Meguiars sanding papers and blocks as they are the best IMO.

Buy a few scrap panels from a junk yard and practice first. Unfortunately sanding is all about patience.

You will need a buffer afterwards to clean up the sanding marks. Products like M101 and M105 from Meguiars with a Hydrotech Cyan Pad, can clean up sanding marks as aggressive as 1500 grit.

Well, I have a PC that I'm going to be ordering some new pads for in the next month or two.
I'll check on those videos though, I appreciate it.

And yeah, the time and patience factors are probably going to hold me off from doing this more than anything else.

Here is the first of that series for anyone interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i_rmKAUa1Y

Last edited:

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
if youre a novice, tackling an entire car will get tedious and frusterating. if the condition of the paint is good, and you are set on this project, i wouldnt get anymore aggressive than 2000 grit. stay away from edges, and keep the paper wet but clean and change it often.

when buffing it out, keep it on a lower speed and check your work often. dont stay on any given part of a panel for to long, and be conscious of body lines. paint is thinnest there is quick to burn.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
if youre a novice, tackling an entire car will get tedious and frusterating. if the condition of the paint is good, and you are set on this project, i wouldnt get anymore aggressive than 2000 grit. stay away from edges, and keep the paper wet but clean and change it often.

when buffing it out, keep it on a lower speed and check your work often. dont stay on any given part of a panel for to long, and be conscious of body lines. paint is thinnest there is quick to burn.

Agreed.

I'd definitely start with 2500 and/or 2000 grit, and just reserve 1500 grit for areas where you are not seeing defect removal.

IMO if you cannot remove it with 1500 grit (which truly is a M105/Cyan Pad) area, then time for a repaint.

Last edited:

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to jump on this quite yet, but maybe this summer.....maybe.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back