Common Track Failures

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
What track failures have you seen, or would you consider common? I'm trying to reduce the amount of stuff I bring to the track. I can post a packing list if you guys are interested.

As an example, I cracked the outer surface of the front rotors on track but brought spares.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Depending on your level of "hard core-edness" that list is going to vary greatly...

HPDE guy: rotors, pads, brake fluid, motor oil
Track junkie: above plus tires/wheels
Club racer: All above plus hubs, starter, alternator
Hardcore racer: All above plus trans, rear axle, dampers, springs, body panels, up to and including spare car...

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in Category 2 I guess. I overworked my front tires at CMP and chunked them. Time for more camber and more throttle-steer.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
I was looking for more specifics though. As another example, one time the brake ducting came off the A47 inlets and dragged underneath the car, eventually flattening the wire and making holes in it. Had to jack the car up, remove the inlets, and replace with spare ducting.

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
Hardcore racer: All above plus trans, rear axle, dampers, springs, body panels, up to and including spare car...
It's funny because it's true...

To add to the list...

- Floating front calipers become standard wear items around the "track junkie" level. Fixed calipers last a hell of a lot longer but could stand an occasional rebuild for fresh dust boots. Rear calipers really aren't an issue until you get to the "hardcore racer" level (and even then.... your results may vary).

- I learned quickly that the rear axle vent is totally inadequate for track use, and a basic catch can setup helps a ton.

- Depending on your driving style (and self-control), the rear axle (and possibly clutch/trans) might become a problem well before the "hardcore racer" level.

- A failure of "thriftiness" and "prospect to maintain a reasonable savings account" should be expected shortly after the "HPDE guy" level.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah you'll toast the stock traktion-lok diff pretty quickly.

Front wheel hubs

That little vacuum check valve on the brake booster

DocB

forum member
Reaction score
TOOLS. Plenty. But be selective.

One of each socket, hex, and wrench that fits the car.
Spare lug nuts.
Wheel stud die. (Trust me- you will thank me one day).

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks and keep em coming.

- Floating front calipers become standard wear items around the "track junkie" level. Fixed calipers last a hell of a lot longer but could stand an occasional rebuild for fresh dust boots.
Agreed; I ditched mine because of VERY uneven pad wear.

Rear calipers really aren't an issue until you get to the "hardcore racer" level (and even then.... your results may vary).
My only beef (thus far) is that the compression tool is a huge PITA. A friend of mine created a "stablizer" that keeps the caliper from rotating when you turn the tool, which is on my list.

Front wheel hubs
Wheel stud die. (Trust me- you will thank me one day).
My car has 88k+ miles on it, spent most of its life in Ohio, and has 6 events since I've owned it. So I'm probably due for front hubs soon and plan to get the FR ones with ARPs installed. The gold hardware gives me a chub...I can't help it.

That little vacuum check valve on the brake booster
I've heard this one before...thanks.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned.....but, I have had a lot of customers experience ball joint issues.

Specifically the 18mm variety (2005 - Aug 2009). OEM and aftermarket....standard height and tall.

MadBee93

Reaction score
not spare parts but....never forget duct tape, and zip ties!!!! :)

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
Depending on your level of "hard core-edness" that list is going to vary greatly...

HPDE guy: rotors, pads, brake fluid, motor oil
Track junkie: above plus tires/wheels
Club racer: All above plus hubs, starter, alternator

Spot on Dave!!

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Bmr ...control arms suck period as do Bmr parts !
deng...with Kelly in here no less.

I'd be very appreciative if we didn't turn this into a flame war. The information has been good thus far...thanks.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Most common replacement parts we see at the track:
Pads, rotors, brake fluid, rear axle lube

Most common mechanical wear we see at the track:
Front hubs, front wheel studs, rear axle seals, Track-Loc differentials, various bushings (usually accident related, not worn out).

After a LOT more track use, these wear out:
Engine mounts, transmission mount, caliper bodies and seals, rubber bushing in the top of the axle.

There are other issues related to use, like if you run the tank too low, the pump burns up sooner than it should. If you jump the curbs, expect to replace upper strut mounts and tie rods. Shift with no mercy, expect to replace some transmission internals sooner than normal. Shift way up the rev range, higher engine temps and valve train wear start showing up. All of these things are manageable by how you treat the equipment.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

I respect your opinion. Unfortunately, we cannot please everyone.

That said, I would put our parts up to anyone's, with confidence. The massive amount of volume that we do, with the little amount of warranty, returns, and negative feedback speaks for itself.

deng...with Kelly in here no less.

I'd be very appreciative if we didn't turn this into a flame war. The information has been good thus far...thanks.

I respect people's opinions, it's not a big deal. We have tens of thousands of happy customers.

And yes, the mention of the upper rubber diff bushing above by Jason is very good info. That bushing is very prone to failure, especially when you have an upgraded UCA. A lot of times, the user does not know it is damaged until it just falls out of the housing. I typically recommend the Steeda diff bearing for road course and drag use.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score

I can understand Poe's gripes as it was his car that was damaged with the failure of the BMR A-Arms. Poe's arms were the older design, as has been hashed out dozens of times, and the issue has been fixed. Last I spoke with Kelly they had an AIX guy running their parts now without issue and I think that includes their lower control arms but don't quote me on that, Kelly would have to say that.

That said, what is YOUR bitch with their parts? With exception to Poe's arms and BMR's old bushings (like 2-3 years ago), I don't see any other failures of BMR parts. so help me understand your comment because right now your post screams troll rather than being productive.

I have a couple on my car and the construction and design, the welding and the materials are all comparable to companies like Cortex (which I also have under my car).

EDIT: I have been corrected on the bushing issues... that was SEVEN years ago. My how time flies! :)

Last edited:

DPE

forum member
Reaction score
Hell, the rear axle vent is inadequate for street use if you live where there are roundabouts in abundance and you enjoy them. The Boss/GT500 diff cover relocates the vent to the top of the cover and you can then plug the hole where the vent was on the axle; a few track days on my 2010 and no issues. Have made the mod but not yet tracked my 14. Not saying NOT to do a catch can, just suggesting a more OEM-like alternative that has worked for me.

claudermilk

Reaction score
That axle vent is just a stupid design. All i have is one track day and a bunch of autocrosses--and half an axle coated. Fixed now with a Bob's catch can.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back