"Communications lost" while data log X3 any ideas?

Konablue10Gt

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys its my first time trying to datalog. Ive read throught the instructions from SCT but every time I try to do it in the car it says Communication lost after about five seconds into the session. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Could be this....

never mind I cant make it work

Tried to embed this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdzne4n-U-E

I know it's not an answer but maybe it will make you laugh....

I know when I'm running my Auto tap you have to get the sequence right as far as key on, key off etc. Had to read through the instructions a couple of times to see where I was screwing up.

Last edited:

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
this is the way i do it and it works everytime.

Livelink Demo

Solution Here is a link to a Livelink Demo: LIVE LINK DEMO

With livelink, there are a few things that need to be correct then everything else will fall into place.

First and most important thing, make sure the drivers for the device you are using to data log are installed and properly working. (see related drivers documents for more on this)

Second, make sure you are using an up to date version of livelink. (this can be found on our website under Tech Support / Add-On Software and Utilities)

Third and equally as important is the order of events.
1. Plug in tuner to the vehicle's OBD2.
2. Plug in the usb cable to the laptop.
3. Turn the vehicle's key to the on position. (Skipping this step is the most common problem)
4. Open the Livelink software.
5. Press the Graph Button located at the top left.

It will then detect the vehicle and populate the list of pids to select. Put check marks in the pids you want to monitor, make sure to not select over 20 or so, or it will cause communication problems. Press OK, Then start the car, then press the Green button to begin logging.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Using LL3 with my XCAL2, i have to plug in the SCT to the computer first, then the car's OBD connector. If I plug into the car first, then the computers, it often has a communications error and can't connect.

And once in awhile, it will datalog once ok, then I'll stop, and start it again (in the software) and it wont be able to connect. Repeat the procedure of unplugging/plugging back in, and it works again.

viciousride

Needing more power!
Reaction score
Hey guys its my first time trying to datalog. Ive read throught the instructions from SCT but every time I try to do it in the car it says Communication lost after about five seconds into the session. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks

I'm having the same issue. Were you able to resolve yours?

Thanks,
Mitch

Alter Ego Trip

Pot Stirring Aficianado
Reaction score
this is the way i do it and it works everytime.

Third and equally as important is the order of events.
1. Plug in tuner to the vehicle's OBD2.
2. Plug in the usb cable to the laptop.
3. Turn the vehicle's key to the on position. (Skipping this step is the most common problem)
4. Open the Livelink software.
5. Press the Graph Button located at the top left.

x2. I had problems as well until I finally tried this combination. Make sure you do not go into the datalog menu on the x3.

BlownAway05

still too slow
Reaction score
Took this post from Lostsoul, it's how I datalog (though I use an X2)
1) Plug xcal into OBDII port (let it power up)
2) Plug USB cable into xcal
3) Plug USB cable into laptop
4) Fireup the LiveLink 6.1 software
5) Select Commands / Identify SCT Device from the menus
6) Turn the key to the ON position (Key on engine off)
7) CLick on the charts icon (upper left)
8) Machine should load the PIDs at that point
9) Select the items to chart
10) CLick OK
11) Wait for the PID Load to take place
12) Fire up the engine
13) Click the green log start button
log log log
14) Click the red stop log button
15) SAVE DATA LOG

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Must be a bug with the device. With my livewire it doesn't seem to make a rats ass what order I hook things up, it just works. Are you guys using the latest firmwares and latest versions on LiveLink?

Reaction score
This is a problem with the 2010 mustang, the last time I heard SCT was working on a program to repair the issue, you can get it to work if you,

delete all your tunes from the SCT
reload the tunes using livelink
follow SCT instruction to the tee, you only get one chance, if you mess it up you have to start over by deleting tunes, even if you do everything correct, you'll only get one data log, then back to the start again, real pain in the ass, on top of that you can only data log about half the stuff that the older cars can,

disclaimer: I haven't looked to see if SCT has this issue fixed or not. I know they supposely where working on it, you may just need to down load new softwhere

Last edited:

viciousride

Needing more power!
Reaction score
Well, unable to resolve the issue with the X3 device datalogging. I called SCT tech support and they ran me through the troubleshooting process to figure out what could be going wrong. In the end they couldn't figure out what the issue was with the device not datalogging. Oh well, I'm not going to worry too much about it now because at least I can datalog using LiveLink 6.2-- which is actually the better option anyway.

Thanks,
Mitch

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
did you try another laptop? always a chance of pc software messing with it. like Norton, macfee, windows chit

viciousride

Needing more power!
Reaction score
did you try another laptop? always a chance of pc software messing with it. like Norton, macfee, windows chit

No; the problem wasn't software related (LiveLink 6.2 works), it's datalogging with the device itself, i.e., no computer attached.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back