"Compound Boosting" IC Water Pumps Question(s)

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
There was a discussion on using two OEM Bosch GT500 IC water pumps in one system in a thread. I can't find it. Anyway, if I remember correctly there were a couple of people commenting that played with pumps for a living. I have a question for them.

Do I want to test the pumps one feeding another with lets say 1" of hose between them in series. Or run them "180" from each other in the system. Or both?

I think it was decided that running the parallel wouldn't work.

Thoughts?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
The guy who makes Dad's custom tanks told me to have one in the tank and them the 2nd right before the most restrictive part, intercooler. So i suspect that's how you would want to test it. But i was using the small rule in tank pump, 1100 I think. Now i'm just using a rule 2000.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The guy who makes Dad's custom tanks told me to have one in the tank and them the 2nd right before the most restrictive part, intercooler. So i suspect that's how you would want to test it. But i was using the small rule in tank pump, 1100 I think. Now i'm just using a rule 2000.

I may test it both ways. Probably will. Just curious what I'm looking for. It's nice when testing mimics what the "paper" says it will do. When you get weird results you have to wonder if your testing process is flawed.

You're running a Rule with those little IC fittings? What size lines?

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I'm not quite clear on what you mean on the second setup.

Are you asking if running two pumps in parallel is possible? It absolutely is. The difference between running a series setup vs parallel is that a series of pumps will give you additional head (pump head = 2.31*p/SG). A parallel setup will allow you to achieve more GPM.

Depending on how you set it up, you'll see (give or take) 2x the flow or double the head for identically sized pumps.

pump_serie.png

pump_parallel.png

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Cool beans!! I guess we're going to find out is more pressure or more volume is what works the best. I'll test it in series and in parallel.

The other setup I was suggesting would be to have one pump at one end of the system and the other pump at the other end. Not right next to each other. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!!

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
You'd have minor head losses in the hose/fittings between each pump that your second pump would have to overcome that you wouldn't have if you ran them ass to mouth. So, rather than 2x the head pressure, you might end up with 1.9x or something like that.

I'd put my money on having better results with them in close series. Specific heat capacity isn't a function of pressure, so I can't see how the additional head would receive more energy from the system.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
You'd have minor head losses in the hose/fittings between each pump that your second pump would have to overcome that you wouldn't have if you ran them ass to mouth. So, rather than 2x the head pressure, you might end up with 1.9x or something like that.

I'd put my money on having better results with them in close series. Specific heat capacity isn't a function of pressure, so I can't see how the additional head would receive more energy from the system.

Cool, I'll probably test all three for shits an giggles. But I'll look for them to work best A2M.

Thanks!

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I may test it both ways. Probably will. Just curious what I'm looking for. It's nice when testing mimics what the "paper" says it will do. When you get weird results you have to wonder if your testing process is flawed.

You're running a Rule with those little IC fittings? What size lines?

3/4" the entire way. Fittings and all. I may upgrade to 1" over the winter but I'm just nervous welding on the tank of my eforce intercooler.

mike4.0

Reaction score
I say you do both for shits and giggles. Run two pumps butted up to each other in series. And then a second set of pumps the same way but have the two sets parallel to each other. More head and flow maybe lol

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
he just said ass to mouth....hah

human centipede style pumps, DO IT!

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
So I have two pumps, one sucking out of the rear intercooler tank located in the trunk and one sucking out of the heat exchanger located inn the bumper. I've had it set like this since I built it. I also have a small breather hole in the rear intercooler tank to let any pressure differences settle themselves out. I use the regular bosch pumps.

No issues in probably 5 years.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
3/4" the entire way. Fittings and all. I may upgrade to 1" over the winter but I'm just nervous welding on the tank of my eforce intercooler.

Just curious. Those Rule pumps HATE a restriction. They work good without one though.

At a minimum I would go 1" lines to and fro. That will reduce the restriction in the system. You can step them down at the IC.

Mod that IC!!!!!!:boobies:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
No issues in probably 5 years.

I'm not trying to slam you. This is just a pet peeve of mine. "I have had no issues" is frankly a crap statement when reviewing a product. Is the bar really as low that if it hasn't broken it's good? Of course not. Not breaking/konking out is the least you can expect from a product and a lot difference than "performs very well".

No, I have not had my coffee yet.:roflmao:

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
If I were to run 2 pumps I would put them on either side of the biggest restriction. For me that is pre and post intercooler

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
If I were to run 2 pumps I would put them on either side of the biggest restriction. For me that is pre and post intercooler

i was thinking the same thing. force it through the intercooler, and then back through the system as fast as possible

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing. force it through the intercooler, and then back through the system as fast as possible

It's all one big loop. IF your theory is correct, another option would be to plumb the 2 pumps in series, nose to tail, immediately in front of the input to IC. I think in the end, it won't make any difference as to where the 2 x pumps are inserted into the loop. The output side of the IC eventually loops around to become the input to the IC.

I believe the main issue is to increase the flow rate, and to do that the pressure has to be increased...with either a higher pressure pump, or 2-3 identical pumps in series. IMO insertion point of 2+ pumps is a moot point. For practical purposes, you may be better off just trying to find 2 x places in the eng bay where 2 identical pumps can reside.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
The reason I stated across the greatest restriction is the fact that that will be the largest pressure differential.
To get the most flow through that restriction you create the greatest pressure differential across it.
Outlet of one pump producing the maximum positive pressure and the inlet of the other creating the maximum negative pressure.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I am by no means an expert and don't have any data to back up my claim but would think as Hamish stated, one in front of the intercooler and one outside would net the best flow. this would be one pushing water in to the intercooler and another pulling the water out which to my thinking would net the fastest flow through the IC. The remainder of the system would be relatively free flowing and besides the inner tube restrictions and the water flowing up and down the front of the motor should flow pretty well.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I tested them, they worked better ass to mouth. But they didn't work as well as you would think. I'll put the data together later.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back