Compression for Forced induction Coyote on E85

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm always looking at (what to do) in the future for my Coyote powered Mustang to make it quicker, and turning up the boost/power is an obvious bridge I plan on crossing. The most attractive option I've thought about is stepping up to a S550 Motor, as I've heard of them making quite a bit more power and handling more boost than the stock S197 motors.

Another option is building my existing motor, or buying an upgraded short-block. I've noticed quite a few compression ratio options ranging from 9:1 to 12.5:1.

My question is, If you have pump E85 in your area and also have a good enough fuel system to meet the demands for the additional fuel flow needed on E85, would you stick to the stock 11:1 compression ratio if you were looking to run in or below the 850rwhp range, possibly go up with the detonation resistance of the E85 for additional power at the same boost level, or Go down in compression and run more boost?

I have a Paxton 2200XL driven off of a 20% ATI crank pulley, so getting more boost is very viable for me to do, but I'm thinking that a lower CR will make the car more of a slug while off of the boost or at lower rpm's because of the nature of the Centrifugal blower's design. The system is also waste-gated, but still doesn't produce low rpm torque like a PD blower at the end of the day.

I'd rather know what I want way in advance rather than making a quick decision over the phone on the subject.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
I'd say stick with 11:1. The point of E85 is its det resistance so, you don't need to drop compression to run the boost you are needing to make the power you're asking for.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
That's the way I was leaning, so it makes sense for me just to go with an S550 motor when the time comes. I believe all of the ford racing Coyote long blocks are now the S550 version, and a way good deal considering the power they can hold.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back