confirm my suspicion *rattling*

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I was leaving a bank and due to the extreme dip I bottomed out. It was slow, but very heartaching but I couldnt reverse b/c it was a one way only (will never go back to the bank). Every since I noticed a rattling/loose sound coming from the motor/exhaust area. It's normally on cold starts although it did do it tonight while it was semi warm. Cut the car off and cut it back on and it went away. It does not get faster with rpm speed. When it gets warm, I can not hear a single thing - it just purs.

My suspicion is something I wish not to disclose, b/c I want to see if others say the same thing. I'm hoping my miracle it's something else (which I also think) but want to see if anyone else is on the same page as me. I will be taking it to a shop tomorrow hopefully to get it on a rack. I'm scheduled for a dyno tune on Jan 28th so I got to be ready.

NOTE: Listen how the rattling stops (around 45seconds) once the motor clears up and starts idling fine. The noise only happens when the motor is choking

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'll guess it's a noise that was always present but you tuned into it after hitting the bump.

Why not jack it up and take a look?

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
I have...Cant find anything loose. I think the noise just happened to start when I bottomed out...But I think its something else. I'm thinking something in the head - but may think loose header?

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Check the bellhousing cover bolts.

This, and check your H-pipe exhaust hangers. The driver's side tends to rattle on the tranny crossmember bolt. You may have tweaked it to make it rattle more.

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
I'm hoping that's all it is...I will be taking it to a shop today to put it on a lift. Hope I come back with positive results.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Did you bottom out on the oil pan?

May wanna check. If so, you could be having a clearance issue inside the pan.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
This is the how do I keep these idiots in suspense thread....dont know but I'll tell you tomorrow!

C'mon man tell us already! I'm gonna say its a loose over the axel pipe.

Sorry..did't see the vid.

Last edited:

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
Havn't taken it to a shop yet...but there is a video in the first post...

Listen how the rattling stops (around 45seconds) once the motor clears up and starts idling fine. The noise only happens when the motor is choking

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From the odd idle and the high pitch of the rattle...have you checked the t/b blade?

Almost sounds like it's clicking shut then back open...hard to tell though.

RH

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
From the odd idle and the high pitch of the rattle...have you checked the t/b blade?

Almost sounds like it's clicking shut then back open...hard to tell though.

RH

it hasnt been tuned all the way so its idled like that since I installed the motor. It does it every time I crank it cold but then it's fine

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I would vote for a lifter if it was an old 5.0... maybe a rocker has come loose? I sure as hell hope it is not a valve tapping the piston.

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
I would vote for a lifter if it was an old 5.0... maybe a rocker has come loose? I sure as hell hope it is not a valve tapping the piston.

It's a 5.0 Boss Big Bore stroker...Diamond pistons, Manley rods, Kellogg crank, all arp hardware, comp cams, new built heads, bbr lockouts, melling oil pump..everything is brand new professionally built by Ron @ foxlake racing (heads) and John @ Modular Performance (motor and longblock assembly). Both these guys are great builders and everything was built from the bottom up so I hope nothing is wrong with either of the pieces. But I'm getting nervous everytime I hear it.

I'm scared to pull the valve covers off

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back