Converter+Cams= -.5sec and backfiring on nitrous. Long.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
I've fought some issues with my car for the past month or two and I would like to ask some advice from the forum here.

Some Backstory: 06 convertible auto. The car went [email protected] with JLT 110mm , CMDP, O/R X, 4.10's, Brenspeed tune, GTB mufflers. Ran pretty consistent 1.90 60 foot times. Added a HSW 75 shot and HT0's, still ran well, but no track times. I also have an AEM wideband hardwired to datalog.

I then added: PTC 3000 restalled/upgraded stock converter and BBR STG1 NSR cams. I specified I would be spraying the car, so PTC provided a nitrous converter.

Car went [email protected] with an e-mail base tune in similar weather. 60' now 2.1, no matter how I launched it. I chalked the 60' up to the converter being more set up for nitrous. I was more concerned about the MPH. Contacted e-mail tuner, they strongly suggested the car was out of time and I need to have that checked before they can do anything.

I was not inclined to believe them, and the I had the opportunity to work with a local tuner, which I took. Datalogged the car, the cam angle was the same, both banks. Compression within 2psi across all cyls. E-mailed back and forth with the local shop and worked on the tune.

I wanted to be sure the tune was going in the right direction, so I brought the car to a friend's dyno, where it made within 1hp of what it did prior to the gear, cams, and converter, and HTO's (same dyno). As they generally lose power after a gear install (and the tune was not finalized), I can only assume the cams worked as intended.

I also dyno'd the car on nitrous, where it acted a bit weird. The loop is normally indicatave of tire spin or a slipping trans, as I understand it. I have provided the dyno graphs to illustrate. Two runs were a 100shot, the last was a 125. AFR/Plugs looked good. This particular dyno reads pretty low in general, but dyno numbers aren't the point of this thread.

2w4k4lx.jpg

I know that was a bit long, but I felt like I needed to provide all the details up to this point.

Current Issue
Ran the car on the 125 shot on the street. Ran great 1st-3rd, the car shifted into fourth and had a small fuel backfire soon thereafter. No damage beyond the filter bulging some. The plugs also looked undamaged. I did not think to datalog the car.

I needed to investigate the problem further, so I brought the car to the track on some taller tires I purchased for nitrous and the stall speed being too low for the cams. The car went [email protected] straight from the road. I then warmed the bottle and ran the car. I sprayed 30 feet out, it ran 12.1@116mph with a 2.1 60 foot. The car loaded up on fuel badly in fourth (Pegged gauge at 10.0), but did not backfire. The datalog was interrupted, so I don't have it.

I ran the car again, sprayed from the launch. 1.71 60', the car did the same thing in fourth again, but this time it did backfire. The car did a 7.48 1/8th, and it backfired right before the marker.

The datalog showed the car sat at whatever rpm it shifted to for progressively longer periods in each gear. The TCC ACT SLIP portion of the datalog jumps at each shift. As the shift to fourth happens, the value spikes, and the car sits at 4500rpm or so for an extended period of time (about 1 full sec). As the value drops, it loads up on fuel and the AFR dropped rapidly until it backfired.

I wanted to try to let off through the 3-4 shift (200rpm before/300rpm after) and see what it did. 1.74 60' 7.55 1/8 and 11.81@115 1/4. The torque converter slip value again jumped when it shifted into fourth gear. However, I hit the nitrous after the spike, and the car did not sit at an rpm in fourth gear. The afr remained in a relatively stable 11.0 area in fourth gear.

I'm thinking the issue I'm having is primarily with the converter. PTC has been more than willing to accomodate me with whatever I would like to do. However I want to diagnose this fully before taking any major steps.

I know this is an absurdly long post, but I tried to provide all the information I could to get an educated response. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Rene06GT

low 12s for now....
Reaction score
it does sound like the converter, but if ur hanging in 4th why only 4th? im not sure how the converter acts once u get going but id pull it and have it checked out atleast.... if nothing else pull it off do ur own inspection and reinstall it.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
it does sound like the converter, but if ur hanging in 4th why only 4th? im not sure how the converter acts once u get going but id pull it and have it checked out atleast.... if nothing else pull it off do ur own inspection and reinstall it.

I appreciate the response. The value spikes in each gear (which I believe is normal), but it is the most pronounced on the shift into fourth

If/when it comes out, one of ptc's aftermarket converters with a much higher stall is going in.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Hey man, I don't recognize your screen name myself. Or it has been a while if it was I that talked to you.

What gear do you have the converter locking up in? After what percentage of throttle is the lock-up activated?

I will be glad to help you sort this out!!

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
Hey man, I don't recognize your screen name myself. Or it has been a while if it was I that talked to you.

What gear do you have the converter locking up in? After what percentage of throttle is the lock-up activated?

I will be glad to help you sort this out!!

I may have talked to you when I initially purchased the converter. However, I have primarily talked to Tim. Yesterday he said he was going to get in touch with you and call me back.

The tuner has the converter locking up in third and fourth, as far as I can tell on the datalog. He has tuned at least one other vehicle with one your stock restall/rebuild converters I know of (also with a 125 shot), and multiple similar setups (auto+PI+125 shot) with very good results. I am sure there other vehicles I don't know about as well.

confuzed

forum member
Reaction score
TTT, I'm curious to see what's up on motor myself. I can understand et being down because of tight converter but I would think you wouldve mph'd way more. Hope it gets resolved.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
If you picked up over a second on spray, it's not the converter.

The backfiring/popping is all in the tune.

Like said above, try the load values.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score

Regardless if its a tune or a converter issue, I would like to have it resolved, as I'm sure you understand.

Yep, over a second, and about 13mph on conservatively tuned 125 shot, with me letting off on the 3-4 shift. The 1/8th time from the other pass puts it at about 11.50's if I launch it hard. I plan on taking the car back to the track and datalog further. I doubt I'll be allowed to do a whole bunch of runs as its a convertible.

Its calling for full lockup, from what I gathered from the tuner and the value called for in the logs. Is there anything more specific I can ask?

As I understand it and from what I have read (some of it from your posts) the converter never fully "locks". That is also what I see in the logs. I don't want anyone to misunderstand my ignorance of terminology as a misuse by the tuner, so please feel free to educate me if I'm off.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score

Forgot to ask, any insight as to the loop/spikes on the nitrous dyno graph? I used a trans tune set up for the dyno. Would load values have less of an effect with a tune locked into a particular gear?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back