Converting Base Stereo To Shaker, Please Verify This List Of Parts....

craven

Banned
Reaction score
i wire stereo's so harness's will not be necessary...is this all i will need, this is what i found....

1.shaker head unit
2.2 door panels, with the 8 inch sub covers
3.2 8 inch door subs
4.trunk subs w/box
5.under passenger seat amp
6.trunk sub amps that sit on box

is this all? then i can wire it all up....i am sure i will need to ground the subs and run a power cable...right?

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why not just go to something aftermarket? The amount of cash you'll spend on all that will be nuts. I could easily see you spending upwards of $1000 for that and I'm willing to bet that the extra harness and amps for the door subs aren't in your car already, adding more cost.

I'm not trying to put down your idea, but for that kind of cash and effort, you can get yourself a much nicer system than the Shaker.

craven

Banned
Reaction score
i want 8 inch subs in my door....and 6 cd in dash....

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i want 8 inch subs in my door....and 6 cd in dash....

Yes, you can get that for much less than what the entire Shaker package will cost you. It will be much less hassle and will sound better too. I'm putting RF 8's in my doors next week. They cost me $100 for two.

You might want to pull out your existing unit to see if the harness for the door subs is even in there. That will just be another headache for you to deal with.

Shop around and you will see that short of someone just giving you all the stuff, you can build a system for the same price that will sound soooo much better.

craven

Banned
Reaction score
the only thing is i have door panels without the 8 inch sub cutouts, once i get that, i can find subs and do all custom wiring...i just need door panels with the 8 inch subs cutouts

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the only thing is i have door panels without the 8 inch sub cutouts, once i get that, i can find subs and do all custom wiring...i just need door panels with the 8 inch subs cutouts

Whatever bro. Let me know how it turns out. I'm sure it will be fun. :dead2:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
id say go aftermarket. i had the shaker 1000. i replaced the head unit with the pioneer AVIC f700 touch screen nav with no dvd. it made a WORLD of difference. im just going to upgrade my stock speakers and leave the subs alone. and iirc im pretty sure the subs in our cars are 7" and they are something stupid like 3 ohm or some shit like that

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
id say go aftermarket. i had the shaker 1000. i replaced the head unit with the pioneer AVIC f700 touch screen nav with no dvd. it made a WORLD of difference. im just going to upgrade my stock speakers and leave the subs alone. and iirc im pretty sure the subs in our cars are 7" and they are something stupid like 3 ohm or some shit like that

They are 8", but yeah, they have some strange specs; dual 1.5 ohm and just don't sound that great.

You will love the speaker upgrade.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score

craven

Banned
Reaction score
those are sweet, i just dont want all the extra weight in the trunk, i wanted a banging interior system without subs....or factory...

Brand-X

forum member
Reaction score
My question is can I use just the head unit from a shaker? Then add my aftermarket speakers

Boozshey

Reaction score
You don't have to have the door panels in order to put subs in the door. Cut a hole and make it work...

craven

Banned
Reaction score
You don't have to have the door panels in order to put subs in the door. Cut a hole and make it work...

if i do this, can i buy the 8 inch sub holders (back supports) for the factory 8 inch subs? this way the aftermarket subs can bolt in?

also is there a way i can cut out the hole the exact size of the shaker door panel? so that i can buy the clip on speaker covers and use them with my custom cutout?

Boozshey

Reaction score
I've never seen anyone try to purchase just the cups for the Shaker door speakers before. What I would do it purchase the clip on speaker covers. Get them in and measure. Then I would get a 8" subwoofer ring and use that external for the speaker cover to attach to...

If you want the best sound you will want to have some sort of speaker enclosure so that you get the proper sound.

I would contact "SC Boss" if you want to do a more custom look, he has a killer dual speaker door set up. If you want to stick with OEM door panels, cruise Ebay and I would also contact "[email protected]" he is always selling salvaged parts.

Last edited:

rlfitz

Reaction score
kicker makes a speaker designed to fit in the mustang door panel midbass location. definately gonna get better sound going aftermarket

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if i do this, can i buy the 8 inch sub holders (back supports) for the factory 8 inch subs? this way the aftermarket subs can bolt in?

also is there a way i can cut out the hole the exact size of the shaker door panel? so that i can buy the clip on speaker covers and use them with my custom cutout?

The Shaker door sub is actually a sealed enclosure when you take the door panel off, so just getting the rings for it won't do you much good. You'd have to check with the manufacturer to see if the sub you pick performs well in an open air environment.

What you'd basically need to do is cut a hole, mount a ring made of MDF, glue or glass it in and install the speaker. There is a bit more, but this is the basic idea. You also need to take into account the depth of the door. There are a few subs out there that will work, but not all. I think about 4" is all you get, maybe a little more.

Check out some car audio sites for ideas. I don't ever see many Mustangs, but the concept is the same pretty much the same across the board.

Here are some sites I frequent for ideas:

caraudio.com

caraudiomag.com

diymobileaudio.com

fiberglassforums.com

the12volt.com

Good sites with LOADS of info and pics.

Boozshey

Reaction score
You can buy speaker enclosures so that you don't have to run it in open air.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can buy speaker enclosures so that you don't have to run it in open air.

Even better. I'm not a car audio guru, so I've never really understood the effect of open air vs. sealed. I just learned a few weeks ago that you could do an open air sub.

I can't wait until I finish my system. Nothing fancy, but I think it will look (and sound) really good.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back