Coolant Brands?

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
I've read a lot of guys say "coolant is coolant" how true is this? The reason I ask I have some green coolant in my car right now not sure what brand it is (that's how long its been since I added some) I've got some "all makes and models" green coolant sitting in my garage Im assuming I used. Im wondering if I could just top it off with some prestone 50/50 or ZEREX do I need to flush the system? Can coolants be mixed greens with greens, orange with orange? Or Does it need to be flushed everytime? Im taking my coolant reservoir out to clean and will be filling just that back up. NEWB question I know BUT at least I didn't post it in tech. Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited:

5.ohmygod

Reaction score
If it's been that long, it wouldn't hurt to flush it all out either way.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
They say you're only supposed to use the "Ford gold" in our cars. I had a buddy with a '07 V6 use the prestone green and it ate his coolant resevoir. He replaced the tank and went back to ford gold. I've been running the prestone yellow for a couple years. 70/30 (water/coolant) mix with a bottle of redline water wetter. No issues or signs of degrading.

I agree with 5.oh, should flush it and start fresh. I personally wouldnt mix types of coolant. IMO stick with the yellow stuff and distilled water.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
^ I can't find the Ford Gold stuff anywhere and I'm not going to Ford to buy it. IMO most of these new coolants are all hype. The GM yellow stuff is known to cause clogging issues so now they use orange, Ford was using gold colored stuff and now uses red, none of them are compatible with other colors, fuck it all. On my build I just went back to plain old Prestone green. Been using it without issues for over 30 years and I see no reason to start changing to unproven alternatives now. I can buy Prestone virtually anywhere and it's compatible with every brand of vehicle made.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I have a bottle of the Gold stuff. Got if from the dealer. It was pricey at $15, but is it really worth the risk? $15/bottle is pretty cheap compared to replacing parts.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I have a bottle of the Gold stuff. Got if from the dealer. It was pricey at $15, but is it really worth the risk? $15/bottle is pretty cheap compared to replacing parts.

Geez for how much? Amazon has the gold through prime for $28 and it's 1 gallon. How much pure coolant do we need for a full flush?

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
A lot of people use gold too... but the only coolant I know of messing shit up is dexcool. My car is a toy only drove in the summer and stored for winter. How big of a pain in the ass is it to flush the cooling system? I don't have compressed air.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
^ I can't find the Ford Gold stuff anywhere and I'm not going to Ford to buy it. IMO most of these new coolants are all hype. The GM yellow stuff is known to cause clogging issues so now they use orange, Ford was using gold colored stuff and now uses red, none of them are compatible with other colors, fuck it all. On my build I just went back to plain old Prestone green. Been using it without issues for over 30 years and I see no reason to start changing to unproven alternatives now. I can buy Prestone virtually anywhere and it's compatible with every brand of vehicle made.

I'm with ya bro, but having witnessed the green shit eat holes in a plastic coolant resevoir I figured maybe some of the hype may hold validity. When it came my turn to do a coolant flush I read up that most were using the yellow prestone so I followed the crowd, so far no negative side effects.

Try using the search function for coolant flush OP. There's a few methods. You only need 1/2 gallon or so for your flush. You'll want to flush the system with straight water, once it all comes out clear you'll close the system, drain the radiator, and add coolant.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm with ya bro, but having witnessed the green shit eat holes in a plastic coolant resevoir I figured maybe some of the hype may hold validity. When it came my turn to do a coolant flush I read up that most were using the yellow prestone so I followed the crowd, so far no negative side effects.

Try using the search function for coolant flush OP. There's a few methods. You only need 1/2 gallon or so for your flush. You'll want to flush the system with straight water, once it all comes out clear you'll close the system, drain the radiator, and add coolant.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to call bullshit here. I've used Prestone green coolant for decades and have never seen it "eat through plastic." How do you know something else didn't cause that problem?

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm going to have to call bullshit here. I've used Prestone green coolant for decades and have never seen it "eat through plastic." How do you know something else didn't cause that problem?

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

You can call bullshit all you want, brother. I don't know for a fact that the green stuff degraded the plastic. I just know he called me over, the resevoir looked like it had taken an acid bath, and I noticed his coolant was green. From there we talked to a Ford tech, he said the green coolant was corrosive to the new plastics Ford was using and promoted the gold stuff.

I personally run prestone yellow. I shared my experience with the OP. Never stated for a fact the green stuff *will* chew up your resevoir, just the presumed cause of my friends. Maybe he got one of the few edible coolant resevoirs Ford made at the time? Dunno. It happened, never did an autopsy.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Ford has been making coolant reservoirs for 100 years, and Prestone has been making coolant for about that long as well. Why in the hell would Ford make a coolant reservoir that wasn't compatible with the most popular universal coolant in the world?

Nuclear

forum member
Reaction score
I don't mean to complicate the issue further, but the coolant color is not always a foolproof method for determining coolant type. I'm not really interested in arguing whether or not Prestone "all vehicle" green coolant is good or bad, but Ford specifically calls out for a different spec. This Ford/"gold" coolant can be found at NAPA. Saving a few bucks bypassing Ford engineering specs doesn't sound smart to me, especially when it's not in an area where you are adding performance. Stick to the specified product.
Another very important tip to keep in mind: Not all water is created equal. Tap water, well water, soft water, and rain water are all bad for your engine in the long run. Yes, you can use it. And yes, it will cool your engine. Over the long run it will cause corrosion issues that are very hard to clean up. I highly recommend using a distilled or demineralized water source. Distilled water can be found at your local grocery or drug store.
How do I know this? I deal with these issues on an industrial level every day.
As far as the leaking expansion tank goes: Didn't Ford have an issue with these things coming apart at the glued seams, even when using the correct fluid? Not sure....

Hope this helps.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Ford has been making coolant reservoirs for 100 years, and Prestone has been making coolant for about that long as well. Why in the hell would Ford make a coolant reservoir that wasn't compatible with the most popular universal coolant in the world?

On the same note, Ford has also changed material types and designs over the last 100 years. As well as coolant chemical composition. It's no secret that manufacturers try to increase cost efficiency and profits by using alternative materials to meet a standard. As seen in decades of recalls, there choices in materials, design, and methods aren't always the best or up to standard in the long run.

Not sure about the glue at the seams, my buddies tank looked more like he let acid sit in the tank and it chewed on the weakest spots. It could have been the hose water he used, the green coolant, or just
a tank made on monday. Ford said it was his fault for not running the recommended fluid in his car. Their specifications give them a leg to stand on when people come to them with bunk shit.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
When the vehicle is under warranty I use what the manufacturer calls to do. As if ever an issue they don't trying saying power train is void due to improper coolant used or some other BS. But once its out of warranty I just use the Prestone green that mixes with all colors/ advance auto stuff. As its quite complicated how no antifreeze is no way compatible with anybody else brand. Like my Wife's 2008 Torrent GXP, just changed it and went from dexacool to the advance auto stuff that mixes with everything. Now my mustang, just installed a BOSS 302 oil cooler and when did that, sucked it up and bought 2 gallons from the dealership.

A word of advice, no matter what coolant you go with only use distilled water to mix it with (assuming you get full strength). Like let your tap water sit in a gallon container over night or use store bought water in the gallons for like .70 cents a gallon. As using it straight from the tap, the chemicals used to purify water can damage the coolant and shorten its life from I understand and read in the past.

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
since i cant get ford gold here i have been using Toyota coolant. i never had any problems.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Letting tap water sit overnight is NOT going to convert it into distilled water. Where did you hear that?

Always distilled water here. Letting tap water sit will get rid of the chlorine, maybe that's what he was getting at?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back