Coolant Contamination

Foozeh

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I noticed this week my coolant reservoir had foamy gunk floating on top/ partly on the res cap. From simple googling it either is rust or a sign of a head gasket failure.
I have not had any trouble with overheating in any way thankfully.
1z2gcaw.jpg

I removed the bulk of coolant in my system, and this stuff appears inside the hoses aswell.
qzj3pi.jpg

The oil filler cap is normal with only oil, no foamy mixture/discoloration. Same with the oil dipstick, the oil level is perfectly between the 2 dots on the stick. (Not showing any oil loss)
As of right now my plan is to do a few cooling system flushes to get the gunk out and hopefully resolve the issue.
Is there anyone that has had a similar issue with this/has any recommendations?
07 gt500 bone stock.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I see green coolant but Ford uses gold coolant (different from the GM gold coolant). Did you flush the system before switching to green?

On the newest cars Ford is using red coolant. I can't keep up and none of these special coolants are available at the corner parts stores. On my build I went back to the green.

Foozeh

forum member
Reaction score
I purchased this motor off Scotty here on s197 from a wreck he bought.
When I put the motor in all the coolant seemed to be out of it, I put in the prestone 50/50 mix that was gold. I guess it is possible that it had green coolant behind the t-stat that didn't get drained out.
Would you just go with flushing the system very thoroughly and see if that clears it up?

I scraped some of the gunk out on a plastic knife and dipped it in water and it dissolved into nothing.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I don't think the gold and green are compatible, and the gold available at the parts store is the GM stuff. Ford says don't use it.

I'd say flush the hell out of it and read your labels. All these different antifreeze concoctions aren't compatible with each other. Figure out what flavor you need and don't mix them up.

Foozeh

forum member
Reaction score
Alright man, I had no idea that it was so picky. Thank you for the info, will post up again when it gets all resolved. Hopefully tomorrow or the latest Monday.

Back