Couldn't pass up it up....

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
SO..bought my first truck. I needed a truck for my new job so I shopped around and found this for a steal. I wanted an f150 and that was all I was looking for..but came across this that a contractor was giving up.

2012-11-07172440.jpg

So... it's a 2002 2500HD with a 6.0.. I really don't know much about chevys but I will be doing my homework on it. From the people who have had trucks like this, what should i be worried about or replace asap.?. He has had the fuel pump assembly replaced a few months ago along with plugs, wires and a few other odd things from what I seen it is in good shape and should be a good work truck.

GOTTORQ

Reaction score
Mostly electrical issues, I have a 2003 trailblazer. My speedometer gauge shit the bed, they replaced my gauge cluster, another common problem is the gas gauge going. I have had issues with wheel bearings same one has gone twice on me, my power driver seat has decided to work when it wants to. ABS sensor on transfer case has gone bad. I think that's it lol.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Mostly electrical issues, I have a 2003 trailblazer. My speedometer gauge shit the bed, they replaced my gauge cluster, another common problem is the gas gauge going. I have had issues with wheel bearings same one has gone twice on me, my power driver seat has decided to work when it wants to. ABS sensor on transfer case has gone bad. I think that's it lol.

wow..thanks. I bought this truck becuase it's simple.. 2wd manual everything except powersteering obviously.. no leaks and good service history.. ill look into the electrical issues though. thanks

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The truck looks good. The old saying "if it looks like a duck, it probably is" holds some truth. When you buy a 11 year old truck, not a bad idea to replace every single fluid. That way you know they are fresh and don't have to wonder if they got changed. That includes flushing the brake lines.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
The truck looks good. The old saying "if it looks like a duck, it probably is" holds some truth. When you buy a 11 year old truck, not a bad idea to replace every single fluid. That way you know they are fresh and don't have to wonder if they got changed. That includes flushing the brake lines.

yeah I'll change the fluids and do a lot of maint. that should be done. hoping I'll keep this thing for a wile. are these engines hard to come by anyways? if or when I need one?

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
yeah I'll change the fluids and do a lot of maint. that should be done. hoping I'll keep this thing for a wile. are these engines hard to come by anyways? if or when I need one?

You won't need one. The 6.0 is pretty much bulletproof.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GM is still running the 6.0 in the 3/4 ton.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
good to hear!!! really good to hear

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
took the first real drive today.. sounds like it's got a small exhuast leak from a hole behind the manifold. other than that its one solid ride. anyone know of a good place to get used parts for these? I tried craigslist already..Nothing in my area

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
We've been dealing with GM trucks and SUV's for years, most common issues that we see:
-Stepper motors in the instrument cluster gone bad
-Fuel pump gone bad
-Transmission gone bad

Otherwise, we rarely see any major problems even with a ton of miles.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
We've been dealing with GM trucks and SUV's for years, most common issues that we see:
-Stepper motors in the instrument cluster gone bad
-Fuel pump gone bad
-Transmission gone bad

Otherwise, we rarely see any major problems even with a ton of miles.

thanks..yeah the cluster is slow to respond so that may be in my near future as well.....

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
awesome...ill be picking one of those up....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call the 6.0 bulletproof. Read up on the rockers. They like to come apart and the needle bearings will fall into the oil pan. That goes for any lsx engine.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
The only issues I've ever seen with the rockers are after a cam swap with high lift, even then most don't ever swap them. The LQ4 is a great motor with few to no problems when maintained. The truck has 4L80e transmission, they are pretty bullet proof. The 60e trans is the one that blows alot. If you don't feel confident in repairing you own cluster there are a few companies on ebay that will repair yours for cheap. I've had several LSx powered trucks, if you have any questions lemme know.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
alright!! so all the chevy forums suck balls compared to this one. going to get some exhaust manifolds because the passanger side is leaking.. so the cast iron ones are supper cheep but they have short headers as well that are cheep as well. who has done the repair and what should I replace wile I'm under there?

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
alright!! so all the chevy forums suck balls compared to this one. going to get some exhaust manifolds because the passanger side is leaking.. so the cast iron ones are supper cheep but they have short headers as well that are cheep as well. who has done the repair and what should I replace wile I'm under there?
Have you actually inspected the manifold on the car now? More than likely it broke an exhaust stud on the rear of the head, fairly common problem and a real pain in the ass to extract the old one.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Have you actually inspected the manifold on the car now? More than likely it broke an exhaust stud on the rear of the head, fairly common problem and a real pain in the ass to extract the old one.

no I just started the engine and felt for the leak. It's pretty large exhaust leak. Though I will jack the front end up and verify. So if it's a broken bolt then what? Drill it out and tap a new hole with threads? Man that sounds like a big pain in my ass

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
no I just started the engine and felt for the leak. It's pretty large exhaust leak. Though I will jack the front end up and verify. So if it's a broken bolt then what? Drill it out and tap a new hole with threads? Man that sounds like a big pain in my ass
You would have to drill and extract the old stud. As long as you have a good set of bits and extraction set it shouldnt be too bad, the worst part will be trying to get up in there to get a drill in there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back