Couple of questions regarding timing install

07 Boss

Reaction score
So I just purchased my M-6004-463v timing chain/tensioner/phaser kit from Jegs and had a couple of questions. I saw a crank positioning tool and another little unit to lock the camshaft phaser in place. Are those tools really necessary?

I know the cams will want to rotate when the chain gets removed. I was either going to lock it in place with vice grips on the actual shaft of the camshaft or I was going to relieve the follower tension on the lobes by loosening the cam caps. Is there a preferred method? I was thinking of removing the culprit followers too but I don't have a 3-valve spring compressor.

Also, with all of that taken apart, should I be looking at an oil pump upgrade also? I've never had any pressure issues and she still flows pretty good.

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
I'll be going through the same thing but till September or late Aug...

Slick4.6

forum member
Reaction score
I’ve done mine without locking the cams or removing the 6 or whatever it is followers. They aren’t as easy to spin as you’d think. Just my .02

ESP41

Reaction score
I did this job recently. I used the crankshaft positioning tool to make sure everything lined up correctly (this comment will make sense when you line up the colored links on the timing chain with the bottom of the crank and the phasers). I did not move the crankshaft when doing this job. I did not remove any followers. The cams moved a little bit once the chain was removed. I grabbed the camshaft behind the phasers with some channel locks when realigning the chains. The phaser lock tool was very handy when torquing the TTY bolts that hold them in place. I would not want to try the torque sequence without firmly locking the phaser in place (ie- no channelocks or vice grips)

Think about replacing your water pump while you are in there. I bought a replacement "gt500" oil pump to do the upgrade. I compared the difference between the thickness of the backing plate on my existing and the "upgraded" pump. There was no difference- so I put my old pump back in (low mileage motor).

I for you want a pump- I'll sell you the used one for half price plus shipping.

Hope this helps.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I went ahead and got the phaser lock and crankshaft tool. Gonna skip the spring compressor and just lock the cams with vice grips. I put a new Meziere in there last time I had the front cover off. The oil pump has been working fine so I think I'm gonna leave it for now. Trying to finish buying my chassis parts for another car and trying to not spend much on the Mustang. Not rich, have a budget to maintain. Once I get the suspension and chassis done on the FireChicken I will focus some more funds toward the Mustang.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Why do I always seem to have issues bolting up my power steering pump. Just seems like I always have difficulty. Am I weird?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back