Coyote 5.0 Header shootout??

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Throw a hot steaming wet rag over the weather station for the run. Numbers will go up 3-5% easy.

2FST-4U

forum member
Reaction score
I agree on the kooks and the jpc headers to both be a pain to install i talked to a good friend of mine and asked him about all the headers and he said that the kooks were a pain a so were the jpc. my tuner runs the jpc and he told me himself dont buy them because they were a pain in the ass to install. it was a toss between stainless power headers and the pypes and i got a better deal on the pypes. so far from what i have heard about the pypes headers for the new 5.0s are that they are a great header for the money and they make great power. ;-)

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
LOL, Graph's are being "updated" now.

Yeah, "honest mistake" of course. That might be believable to some degree if it weren't for the past history with that outfit. Still don't ever see any of their dyno queens go down a track either.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
If you were doing a set of custom stepped headers how you come about the size and length of the header tubing?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I somewhat agree with parts of this post. The track is really where it matters unless your building a dyno queen. and Yes dyno numbers can be some times inflated.

now with that being said. we dyno tested kooks VS our headers same day. in the morning we pulled with the JPC headers pulled if off the dyno swaped headers and installed the kooks. The dyno graphs pretty were much identical. Now we take all dyno numbers with a grain of salt since it could of been 2 degrees colder or blah blah anything eles that could of effected it it. but we did take the car to the track with both sets of headers and the car was right on par with each other(yes we take weather in to consideration we have a weather station and take drag racing very seriously for those who didnt know)

Basically the car was setting records with the JPC headers and we were winning races (coyote stock car) however Kooks is a paying sponsor and we could make alittle money buy running their headers so we elected to do so.

I guess the moral of the story is there are companies like our self that do preform accurate tests and trying to make everything as real world as possible. We spend our free time racing and dont enjoy towing a car 12 plus hours to get our ass kicked :thumb2:

And as far as pypes are concerned. Im glad you guys are happy with them. We did do a full pypes install just a few weeks ago. The car made great power and sounded good, but i was not a fan of how they fit on the particular car. There was pipes hitting the gas tank the headers them selfs i didnt think had the best "fit" but they did work. maybe this is where you are getting some of the up and down on price. I know kooks are expensive but they are some of the highest quality along with american racing and stainless works.

PS i make just about the same money off pypes or kooks so there is no benefit to me "pushing" either product. i just want my customers to be happy with what they spend their money on.

:beerchug2:

i know your only being half serious. Trust me i get where you guys are coming from. Not everyone is made of money and you want the money you spend to go as far as possible trust me i get it. NOW listen to my side for just a second.

DO i think kooks are better then pypes.... absolutely why because its a perfect fit every time. we install this stuff everyday. there is nothing worse then having to use a hammer on a header install or adjust it 60 times so it doesnt make noise when you go over a bump. not saying every set of pypes is like that but the few i have seen have required some additional work. When you stand behind your work and want to provide the best possible customer service its hard to use a product that requires so much additional work.

Like i said im not trying to bash Pypes and pump up kooks. Im just giving my opinion since we are an install shop. so if you guys dont mind adjusting your stuff in the driveway a few times if it saves you some extra money go for it. and i respect that trust me i do.

My statement certainly wasn't a blanket for all vendors/shops. I have a great deal of respect for the success you guys have achieved at the track. JJ@WMS is another fine example. :beerchug2:

My issue centers around the unscrupulous practices that seem to be the trend for the shops who don't even take their cars down the track. They are making conscience decisions on how they conduct their business and could care less about what is best for the customer. /off soap box

On the Pypes exhaust, I can definitively say the headers fit like a glove on my car. 0 clearance issues and they tuck very nicely. The cat back takes some time to get setup properly. The mid-mufflers have slightly off-set ends that allow for adjustments to be made. I found once I had those in the proper positions for each side, everything fit nicely. I believe the install instructions mentioned the need to make adjustments before tightening the clamps on everything. I really didn't think it was any more difficult than the Magnaflow cat-back I had on my 2011 once I figured the muffler piece out.

I will be helping install another set of their headers on a friends car in the near future so we will see how consistent they are.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back