Coyote CAI Quesitons- About to pull the trigger- Steeda, JLT

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a basic plastic JLT/Steeda CAI and 93 octane (actual dyno tune, not a canned).

I am a total newb with these Coyotes, and I DID use the search function here to try to find out the answers, but here are my questions

- Why does the JLT Intake tubing diameter start small at the throttle body and then get bigger? The C&L Racer 95mm I had on my 3V was the same all the way through, throttle body to filter. Wouldnt this technically be a disadvantage? Or does it have something to do with idle quality, etc?

- After seeing a Steeda CAI, I'm a little torn. It just looks like such a quality piece when compared to the JLT.. metal inlet, metal shroud.. pretty nice. But for a DD that sits in traffic, i am told that I'd be better off with plastic JLT for heatsoak? true?

thanks for the patience with newb questions

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I thought these things gave zero performance improvement over the stock intake box?

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
I have a steeda intake I haven't installed, I only got it because it was a 'bundle' deal from a private seller with a boss Intake manifold. I drove his car before we took the stuff off and it definitely had some pull to it. How much of that was from the intake, manifold, or tune itself is unknown to me, but all 3 combined seemed to pull nice at WOT rowing thru gears.

Extensive research has told me that intakes on these cars put out minimal gains on their own, like I said, just got mine because the kid had 'that good' of a deal for both.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
The plastic will be a better insulator than metal. The chances of noticing the difference, performance wise, are slim. As are the gains a CAI alone generates. They do look and sound cool though.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Steeda, without a doubt. Don't worry about the metal tubing heat sinking, it doesn't anymore than JLT tube does. Steeda also looks better, oh and it has filter element stops on the tube.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda, without a doubt. Don't worry about the metal tubing heat sinking, it doesn't anymore than JLT tube does. Steeda also looks better, oh and it has filter element stops on the tube.

Thanks--

supposedly there are two versions of the Steeda intake now. They have a new, 101mm version out. i might try to opt for that one

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score

Ryan is only kidding, OP. He loves JLT :stir::evil:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
There is a 95MM version, and a 101MM version. I can't remember which is the current version. One is silver and one is black.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
There is a 95MM version, and a 101MM version. I can't remember which is the current version. One is silver and one is black.

I bought the 101mm, and its black plastic if that helps at all... lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
JLT sucks. If you really want a cai with the best looks and function get an airaid. I happen to know of one for sale. Lol.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I should have specified. The primary tube is plastic, always has been. I was talking about the heat shield. The new one is black and the MAF housing is 101MM, the old version is silver/machined and the MAF housing is 95MM. I have the old version.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I thought these things gave zero performance improvement over the stock intake box?

They don't really, they will show a gain on a dyno but real world gains are negligible at best. The difference between a Steeda & Tune Vs. Stock CAI & Tune was only 13HP. The tune is really what makes the CAI feel like you picked up all of this HP.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, $250+ better also lol

Or you could get one for free from a generous forum member, only to turn around and sell it a couple month later, like that bastard mikeyfitz did with the one I gave him.

:soapbox:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back