Coyote Catastrophic Failure

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
I am making this thread to share information and gather information about the failure I had with my coyote engine. IMO it was the fault of my tuner, who takes zero responsibility for the damage. The purpose of this thread is to help people understand what happened to me to avoid it for themselves. And also to help me get my car back on the road, not simply to bash the tuner... even though at my level of frustration that is going to happen. Here is the back story on my tune:

Back in February I installed a Kenne Bell 2.8LC on my 2012 GT, I even made an instructional video showing the before and after dyno numbers. The car has an off road x pipe and the blower kit, nothing else done to the motor. The car ran great, the only problems I had were CEL due to Kenne Bell's CARB certified tune not being able to shut my rear O2 sensors off, and an idle that would fall too low and sometimes the car would stall. After upgrading the throttle body to the 168mm KB one and getting a new tune the idle problem went the other way, it hung at low speeds and I still got the CEL. I decided to get a dyno tune, and after hearing from DTony that a local tuner named Jeff Chambers in Norwalk Ohio at a shop called CRT tuned his car with great results I decided to go with him for a dyno tune. I made it clear what I wanted, CEL off, rev limiter bumped from stock, idle fixed, and any safe power left on the table from KB's tune (which I figured was conservative).

Jeff had my car for over a week because he also swapped my rear end gears and I dropped it off on a Saturday. His dyno broke while my car was on it. He told me it baselined ~520 whp, made 15 psi, and went 118 in the top of 4th with 3.15 rear end gears he just installed. I told him all three of those were wrong. My car already made 600 on a dynojet with a stock throttle body, while his was a mustang dyno I didn't think it should be that far off. My car makes 10 psi, the electronic boost gauge on the dash he didn't even look at said 10, and 2 other mechanical boost gauges I had hooked to the car said 10. If it made 15psi it would have blown up on pump gas and certainly made more than 500. Also it should have been 133 mph in the top of 4th with that gear. The boost/power/octane thing is pretty straight forward, and a 12 year old can go online and use a calculator to figure out how fast a car will go in what gear. Jeff argued with me that all of these numbers were right, which was really alarming. I should have just said stop and went and got my car, I regret that. The next day I call and Jeff says the power supply for his dyno took a shit. It possibly fried the computer of the dyno, and it delivered inconsistent voltage and made everything go screwy. It took him a couple days to fix it and when he did, my car baselined 600, made 10 psi, and went 133 in the top of 4th. The problem was he was tuning my car with the dyno computer and all of his sensors on the fritz. He made much more torque under the curve by playing with the cam timing, the car also made less boost in the midrange rpm. Peak power was about 20 higher but he also revved my car to 7456 rpm, where he only took the Kenne Bell tune to 6800. Jeff also said my rear main seal leaked on his dyno, I park my car on a clean concrete garage floor every night, I have ever since last year when I bought my car new and there has never been a drop of oil on my floor.

I pick the car up and withing a mile of his shop I noticed a horrendous part throttle surge when transitioning from vacuum to boost. I also got a check engine light on my way home so I was too scared to beat on the car to feel the difference in power/gearing. It pissed me off so bad because he said he test drove it for days and part of our agreement was for him to have the car for several days to do a lot of street driving and get the driveability of the tune spot on. The driveability could not have been fucking worse, although the idle was fixed. I got a revision the next day that put the car into limp mode as soon as it made boost. I got another revision I took to the track that would not let the car launch. Something in the DBW settings wouldn't open the throttle body or deliver fuel or something because it wouldn't accelerate at all when hooked on drag radials. On the street it always spins, I could not recreate this issue on the street. I got another revision to fix that which was a mixture of KB's tune and Jeff's. That tune ran ok at the track but still idled like shit. Every tune I got from Jeff that actually would let the car make a pull, was slower than Kenne Bell's tune (I made pulls with a friend with a very close car). Jeff asked me to data log a 1/4 mile pass or something just like one. I took the car out to do the data log and when I slowed down a huge cloud of white smoke rolled past me. I babied the car home and called him saying I think my engine is hurt, I might have a cracked piston my car smokes white under decel. Jeff said it was probably sucking oil through the PCV lots of coyotes do it. He mentioned the GT500 PCV valve was a good upgrade to restrict it. He said if my dipstick looked good, and my catch can looked good to just go data log it. They both did, I went and bought the PCV valve and while I was logging it my #4 rod went through the side of my block. CRAZY amounts of white smoke and oil all over everything.

This post is getting long as fuck so I will stop with the talking and start with the pictures. This is what I saw when I looked at the engine after towing it home.

dfe4026e.jpg

And I pulled this out of that hole

5fec2584.jpg

This is my #4 spark plug I took out

ef2da74d.jpg

Before shot of my bay... ugh I miss this

bedfb3ed.jpg

So that's pretty much the back story, from here on I will post pics of things I find and answer and ask questions. This board has a ton of knowledge so I have no doubt I will get some help, some hate, and I will hopefully help some other people from making any mistakes I have made, and help if they ever have to go through this.

The plan (which is already in motion I'm just late making this thread) is to get a boss shortblock and put my heads on it and put it back in the car.

BTW Jeff refuses to say this was even partially his fault, he says excessive RPM broke the rod. He set my rev limiter at 7500, and he pulled my car to 7456 on the dyno. My car ran for over 3 months and over 1000 miles on the Kenne Bell tune. My rev limiter was at 7300 since I got the KB throttle body, which was only after about 500 miles. Other than my drive home which saw no WOT pulls because of the CEL, my car lasted less than 100 miles and about a week on Jeff's tune.

Last edited:

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
This is what my plugs looked like when I took them out, they are arranged as if you are looking at the front of the car. Front left is 1, rear right is 8.

1da81ce2.jpg

5dc1830d.jpg

A few (2,3,8) are darker than others.

Here is a shot with most of the stuff taken off the engine, DAMN there are a lot of plugs on this motor...

b24575a0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
Wow just reading this upsets me. Is the tuner pretty much a dead end? Was there any kind of written agreement or "warranty" his shop offers? Doubtful I know but just wanted to ask anyway. Sorry for shit hitting the fan so to speak. Your story/tuner sounds a lot like a local tuner we have here.. I hope things start looking up.

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
Wow just reading this upsets me. Is the tuner pretty much a dead end? Was there any kind of written agreement or "warranty" his shop offers? Doubtful I know but just wanted to ask anyway. Sorry for shit hitting the fan so to speak. Your story/tuner sounds a lot like a local tuner we have here.. I hope things start looking up.

Yeah it seems like a dead end. I mean I could get a lawyer but after looking into it, this kind of case would need expert witness testimony and would probably cost a fortune. It just blows because he wouldn't even give me my money back for the tune, which blown motor or not NEVER worked right.

It's not like I asked him to pay for a whole new engine or even fix mine, I just asked for him to take partial responsibility.

Here is the motor out

16a9a6d7.jpg

Here is what my bay looks like now (captn distraction knows what this is like)

145cd427.jpg

On the stand ready to tear it down

4c173dd4.jpg

Artsy ass pic of my clutch for fun lol

19ab1c88.jpg

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Half this forum could be expert witnesses. :roflmao:

In all seriousness, I'm really sorry this happened to you. Are the heads OK?

COYO TT

Stangless
Reaction score
Holy hell, sorry for your misfortune. If it breaks, build it better and stronger....that is the motto around here right?!

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
Half this forum could be expert witnesses. :roflmao:

In all seriousness, I'm really sorry this happened to you. Are the heads OK?

LOLOL good plan! I'll get Darren in there to straighten them out!

Yeah man it blows, and no not really. Here is a picture of the chamber from #4

177d88c6.jpg

This head is at powerhouse right now being fixed. It looked to me like 3 of the valves were a tad bent, just wouldn't quite close all the way. I bought 4 new valves just to be sure. All the other chambers and the rest of the head(s) look fine.

EDIT: I forgot to mention after seeing CaptnDistraction's head I feel fucking lucky...

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
i looked up CRT, and Jeff Chambers was a winning NMRA racer, so i could see where a reputation like that would make one feel comfortable.

That being said, there are quite a few people who know their shit when it comes to the pushrod stuff but are just not quite up to speed with the new shit. perhaps this is a case of that.

OP, i understand that whole "i should get my car the fuck outta here" and then regretting not doing it...though, i didnt have my motor destroyed, back in '05 i had a guy who was recommended to me in Kenner, LA who supposedly was "trained at SCT and knows the shit backwards and forwards". When we put the car on the dyno and it made ~50 less hp than it did at HPP in Lewisville, i knew something was wrong. when he didnt know the trans was 5 sp auto i knew i was fucked...yet i didnt tell him to get my car off of there. car ran like shit and shifted worse, i tried explaining what was going on and the reply was "thats just how a car with an aftermarket converter drives." wrong! the trans was 2 qts low of fluid because his shop (Shreve Auto) didn't add enough fluid! lessons learned!

Last edited:

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
i looked up CRT, and Jeff Chambers was a winning NMRA racer, so i could see where a reputation like that would make one feel comfortable.

That being said, there are quite a few people who know their shit when it comes to the pushrod stuff but are just not quite up to speed with the new shit. perhaps this is a case of that.

OP, i understand that whole "i should get my car the fuck outta here" and then regretting not doing it...though, i didnt have my motor destroyed, back in '05 i had a guy who was recommended to me in Kenner, LA who supposedly was "trained at SCT and knows the shit backwards and forwards". When we put the car on the dyno and it made ~50 less hp than it did at HPP in Lewisville, i knew something was wrong. when he didnt know the trans was 5 sp auto i knew i was fucked...yet i didnt tell him to get my car off of there. lessons learned!

Yeah just wait for his fanbois to come busting in here and tell me how stupid I am. He tuned a few other cars of people I know and they all run great. I know he has done good work, I think he can do good work, he did NOT do good work for me though.

And I'm learning ALLLLL mothafuckin kinds of lessons lol

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah just wait for his fanbois to come busting in here and tell me how stupid I am. He tuned a few other cars of people I know and they all run great. I know he has done good work, I think he can do good work, he did NOT do good work for me though.

And I'm learning ALLLLL mothafuckin kinds of lessons lol
real quick...i see a pic of the clutch...i saw that you said it had 3:15s...which is the auto's gear. was that a mis-type?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Sorry to see this. Amazing how he could do such a good job for Tony and then this disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Scuba-Matt

Boost freak
Reaction score
Sorry to see this. Before you bite on the boss motor. Know that the rods are only marginally better than the stock Coyote rods. They are powder forged rods. (sinter-forged) Not true forged rods.

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
real quick...i see a pic of the clutch...i saw that you said it had 3:15s...which is the auto's gear. was that a mis-type?

No my car was factory 3.73 and if I had words to describe the wheelspin after the blower I would use them, but I do not. I'm talking THROUGH 3rd into 4th ~80mph on street tires spin city.

I wanted to stay in 4th at the track so I wanted to have my gears take me to ~135 in the top of 4th (optimistic trap speed goal) but I also didn't want to be up against the limiter every pass, and have a little room to grow. I had the gears done at the same time as the tune.

They helped a TON. My car could almost hook 305 wide ET streets from a second gear roll after the gears lol. I hope to get back there soon...

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to see this. Amazing how he could do such a good job for Tony and then this disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

I agree, Tony's car was a HUGE reason I trusted him, plus a few other local guys.

Sorry to see this. Before you bite on the boss motor. Know that the rods are only marginally better than the stock Coyote rods. They are powder forged rods. (sinter-forged) Not true forged rods.

Too late lol. I knew the rods are also powdered metal, I think the boss bottom end is overall way better than the GT, and I think it will support the power goals I am after. I also had to sell some guns and I literally have not taken a day off work since my car broke just to get the parts I have gotten. Other than a high end shop like L&M I wouldn't trust anyone to do a shortblock for a coyote anyway. And they were just too much money, and I think too much motor for what I want to do.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah it seems like a dead end. I mean I could get a lawyer but after looking into it, this kind of case would need expert witness testimony and would probably cost a fortune. It just blows because he wouldn't even give me my money back for the tune, which blown motor or not NEVER worked right.

It's not like I asked him to pay for a whole new engine or even fix mine, I just asked for him to take partial responsibility.

Here is the motor out

Here is what my bay looks like now (captn distraction knows what this is like)

On the stand ready to tear it down

Artsy ass pic of my clutch for fun lol

Right and I hear ya on that. I would expect partial responsibility as well. I mean he's the one who tuned it and couldn't get it right. Least he could do. But again like you said, not much you can do. This situation does hurt him in one way though and that's his name. I'm sure people will avoid him and his shop once this gets out. It's not entirely about the engine failure but how he handled this after the fact. That's how you keep your customers. Its not just the initial sale but after the sale as well. Of course I'm just :deadhorse2: lol

SO when did this happen? Looks like your moving right along pretty quickly! Not sure if I'd be as fast. lol

Edit: Just read

Well could be wrong about his name getting tarnished then lol For the most part at least I guess. I def agree about people being in the game for a long time but not being up to speed when it comes to the new stuff.

Last edited:

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
Right and I hear ya on that. I would expect partial responsibility as well. I mean he's the one who tuned it and couldn't get it right. Least he could do. But again like you said, not much you can do. This situation does hurt him in one way though and that's his name. I'm sure people will avoid him and his shop once this gets out. It's not entirely about the engine failure but how he handled this after the fact. That's how you keep your customers. Its not just the initial sale but after the sale as well. Of course I'm just :deadhorse2: lol

SO when did this happen? Looks like your moving right along pretty quickly! Not sure if I'd be as fast. lol

Not gonna lie I was stunned at the answers I got and how I was treated after it happened. I thought Jeff was a stand up guy AND a good tuner. I trusted him. The way he made excuses and dodged every question made me sick. Especially how he (apparently) forgot how high he took my car on the dyno and then blamed RPM, when he set the rev limiter and revved it as high as I did.

The motor popped about a month ago. It looks quick because I was waiting to have the motor completely disassembled before I made a thread so I could see all the damage and not have some half assed story and just a hole in my block. Then even after I got it apart I was lazy and didn't make the thread right away. I am spoiling you guys with all these pics, I've been waiting on my head for over a week now ( waiting on valves to ship) so trust me the waits are coming lol.

Here is some shit in my oil pan (which has a hole in it btw)

549a86bb.jpg

Check out the ring in the oil pump pickup (not funny but funny)

731ac242.jpg

RedMustang

forum member
Reaction score

good info

Godzirra

Asian Idiot
Reaction score
Only question I have is, why were there quarter mile passes being made when you clearly stated there were problems with the tune as soon as you go it back?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back