Coyote Dipstick Tube Not Locking In Place

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Excuse the Mustangforums question, but my dipstick tube absolutely will not lock into my valve cover. It's a brand new tube and dipstick, but no matter what I try it will not stay put. It won't work it's way out during normal driving, but if I try to pull the dipstick the whole assembly comes out unless I hold the tube. The engine didn't come with a tube, so maybe I'm missing a lock or the valve cover is broken, but nothing obvious jumped out at me.

travelers

Reaction score
It should stay in with the rocker cover installed. Mine came out when I pulled the cover to do the Whipple install. IIRC it snaps in place

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Mine refuses to snap and stay. I wonder if the valve cover was damaged by the salvage yard.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I bought the tube new and I didn't break anything on it. Tube looks fine, but I really don't want to pull the VC off to look at the underside. Especially since it will be hard to get the VC back on with the tube installed.

travelers

Reaction score
Just a thought, what happened to the old one? Do you have it? if so compare it to the new on for length. If not see if you can see it the old one was broken off and a small piece is still in the block.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I finally got this sorted out. Even though it was a 2014 engine, there was a cutoff point where Ford started using the 15+ dipstick and tube. I ordered one and it fit like a glove. Also important to note, the 11-14 coil covers are different from the 15+. The 15+ provide extra clearance for the dipstick.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back