Crawled under a 2011 GT500 today

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Crawled under a 2011 GT500 today (PICS ADDED)

The LCAs are different....look more beefy. Also, the diff comes with an aluminum rear cover with cooling fins, and the rear axle comes painted as opposed to previous years. Under the front, there's a pannel under the motor to smooth airflow.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Sounds good should have snapped some pics!, they should paint the axles on every mustang :/

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds good should have snapped some pics!, they should paint the axles on every mustang :/

I know, right? I got pissed at the amount of upgrades over the 2010 GT500 even though we're mid 2010, and bitched to the sales manager :rant:, because before I bought this one I specifically asked if there was going to be a 2011 GT500, and he said "they may not make a 2011 GT500", so I plunked my $49.9k down and bought this one. Essentially called him a liar: Result? He's paying for the aluminum girlde to be installed on mine at the dealership. :naughty1: I already painted the axle.

2BlownStangs

forum member
Reaction score
Nice Shelby MrClean. Any plans on lowering her abit or are you satisfied with the stock hide height?

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
I know, right? I got pissed at the amount of upgrades over the 2010 GT500 even though we're mid 2010, and bitched to the sales manager :rant:, because before I bought this one I specifically asked if there was going to be a 2011 GT500, and he said "they may not make a 2011 GT500", so I plunked my $49.9k down and bought this one. Essentially called him a liar: Result? He's paying for the aluminum girlde to be installed on mine at the dealership. :naughty1: I already painted the axle.

What benefit is the aluminum girdle providing?

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice Shelby MrClean. Any plans on lowering her abit or are you satisfied with the stock hide height?

An excellent question. I would like to lower her a 1/2 inch, so as to get a slightly lowered, hunkered-down look and improved handling, but not so much that I'll scrape when I come off my driveway. Priorities are the pulley/idler/tune, then coilovers from here with 20% stiffer spring rates.

Pics would have been nice
I will go back and get y'all some pictiures...I want to try to replicate the front underpanel out of aluminum....

What benefit is the aluminum girdle providing?
  1. It's stonger that the tin plate piece that comes on yours/mine
  2. The cooling fins and better heat exchange properties of aluminum keep the rear diff cooler and extend the carbon fiber clutch pack and diff fluid life
  3. It looks cool; better finished. (especially since I'm not paying for the part or labor, and the warranty isn't being affected since it's being installed by the dealer)
Ever notice how the F-250s for the past 2 years already have this as standard?

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I love the color of yours...if it had been available when I bought mine, I would have gone for it...those are gthe "true" Shelby colors in my book. I do like the black though...the no-side-stripe, and silver Cobra as the only front/side insignia.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The LCAs are different....look more beefy. Also, the diff comes with an aluminum rear cover with cooling fins, and the rear axle comes painted as opposed to previous years. Under the front, there's a pannel under the motor to smooth airflow.

We noticed those things on my buddys, but his diff is not painted. The early 11's didn't get painted diffs it seems. The control arms do look beefier.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We noticed those things on my buddys, but his diff is not painted. The early 11's didn't get painted diffs it seems. The control arms do look beefier.

I want to buy a pair of 2011 GT500 stock/takeoff LCAs, in case any upgrades.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, by popular demand, I dragged my kiddies to the dealership and took these:

Last edited:

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BTW, Wednesday night Speed TV has a show on supercars, and the add for it shows a Silver/black stripe GT500 (can't tell if '10 or '11 because it is not an SVT perf pack equipped car, and there are no other external visual cues; probably an '10) racing an aero package-equipped dark blue Camaro, in case anyone is interested.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Looks like they made the lowercontrol arms into a clam shell with two pieces. guess that's beefy enough.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My buddy picked one up a couple of weeks ago and brought it by. I've never seen a 2010 GT500, but I did note to him that the LCA's were quite thick, among other oooh's and ahhh's about the car. I personally thought it was part of the SVT performance pack that he got, and he wasn't fully sure either.

Sweet ride from top to bottom though.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My buddy picked one up a couple of weeks ago and brought it by. I've never seen a 2010 GT500, but I did note to him that the LCA's were quite thick, among other oooh's and ahhh's about the car. I personally thought it was part of the SVT performance pack that he got, and he wasn't fully sure either.

The thicker LCAs aren't part of the SVT perf pack, because there are two at the dealer, one with and one w/o the SVT PP, and I got under both, and both have the thicker LCAs

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Looks like they made the lowercontrol arms into a clam shell with two pieces. guess that's beefy enough.

It's still just one piece, but they rolled the edge back over itself.

The 2010 GT500 has the older regular "GT500" control arms. The new "thicker" arms are only on the 2011's.

And the painted diff and aluminum diff cover is a mid-year change. The early '11's didn't get them.

Ignatowski

forum member
Reaction score
I thought all 2010 Mustangs came with that front panel? I have one on mine - kind of a pain to change oil because of the bolts I have to take off for it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back