Crazy Idea

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have an idea or thought that I need some input on. Mods if this needs to be moved to chit-chat go right ahead please, but I though this was the best place to ask.

I am thinking about a custom intake set up. I'm not asking opinions on it or a debate on why. I'm thinking of doing it for the coolness factor for me. I like that old school street rod look.

I want to install an old school intake scoop on my car. I was thinking about one of these ones with the butterflies that open and close with the throttle cable. Since we don't have a throttle cable, my question is how should I hook these up so they function properly? My thought was to use the CMCP motor remounted somewhere and hooked up to a little cable. This raises a couple of questions. Does the function of this motor operate in conjunction with throttle position or is there some other determining factor in it's operation. Can you operate the motor without the sensor? Is it strong enough to operate the butterflies? How does saleen operate the butterflies on their hood? Any input on how to make these funtion would be great. Thanks.

I want to go with this kind of look...

SSPDcar.jpg

...using this...

jegsscoop.jpg

...or this.

mrgasketscoop.jpg

If I can't get the butterflies to function properly I may go with a Hilborn type scoop.

07torchgt

^MY NAME; THINGS I SAY>
Reaction score
honetly the best way to actuate the butterflies is by spring and vacuum

use a vacuum actuator similar to the picture to open or close them depending the direction of movement for the actuator you use and a spring to hold it in the opposite direction... best method is for the spring to hold them closed and the vacuum actuator to open them

not this one in particular but to give you an idea
1233095202.0728.jpg

Last edited:

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
Awesome idea! what is your best ET though? :lol:

Because we have drive by wire, you should use a spring setup or vacuum as stated. another way would be to get hold of a throttle body motor, and wire it to your real throttle body, that way, they open at the same time, and it will be electric.

07 Boss

Reaction score
With this vacuum set up, how would that work if I had a supercharged application? Wouldn't my manifold vacuum now be pressure? I like the throttle body motor idea. No comments on the CMCV motor, wouldn't that be basically the same thing?

07torchgt

^MY NAME; THINGS I SAY>
Reaction score
With this vacuum set up, how would that work if I had a supercharged application? Wouldn't my manifold vacuum now be pressure? I like the throttle body motor idea. No comments on the CMCV motor, wouldn't that be basically the same thing?

even supercharged it would work the same way

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, I believe it could be done. I had worked on this for a while because I wanted the same thing. I was going to build it into a tunnel ram. im my garage I have tons of blueprints/sketches of my Idea.

This is what I had thought of:

1. contact sullivan or trick flow to build a custom cast tunnel ram intake like this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-54494000/?rtype=10

no cover yet,

2. buy a piece of alum. to put on top of the tunnel ram and custom cut it to fit on the top, and place 2 Ford racing 62mm throttle bodies on it. it would be like "carbs".

3. buy summit/mr gasket "bug catcher". same thing on the bottom, get a piece of flat thin alum and cut to fit then cut to fit top of throttle bodies.

4. with the bug catcher the MAF needs to go somewhere. your first need an airfilter that gets pushed back in to the bug catcher so if you looked into the front intake holes you would see the intire filter. now that the airfilter is in, put the MAF in right behind it through the flat alum sheet on the bottom.

5. the duel throttle bodies will need to be wired together to operate with each other. AND the one to the front of the car will need some custom work to hook it up to the front of the bug catcher. I have a lot of ideas to make this happen with minor linkage and stuff, but its hard to describe.

I have had this Idea for a long time and this was just a basic run down on it. I didnt care to put the Idea on here because of all the flamming, I just kept it on my garage walls till now.

there is a way to do this, anything is possible when it comes to cars.

BTW I think it would look awsome.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Yes, I believe it could be done. I had worked on this for a while because I wanted the same thing. I was going to build it into a tunnel ram. im my garage I have tons of blueprints/sketches of my Idea.

This is what I had thought of:

1. contact sullivan or trick flow to build a custom cast tunnel ram intake like this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-54494000/?rtype=10

no cover yet,

2. buy a piece of alum. to put on top of the tunnel ram and custom cut it to fit on the top, and place 2 Ford racing 62mm throttle bodies on it. it would be like "carbs".

3. buy summit/mr gasket "bug catcher". same thing on the bottom, get a piece of flat thin alum and cut to fit then cut to fit top of throttle bodies.

4. with the bug catcher the MAF needs to go somewhere. your first need an airfilter that gets pushed back in to the bug catcher so if you looked into the front intake holes you would see the intire filter. now that the airfilter is in, put the MAF in right behind it through the flat alum sheet on the bottom.

5. the duel throttle bodies will need to be wired together to operate with each other. AND the one to the front of the car will need some custom work to hook it up to the front of the bug catcher. I have a lot of ideas to make this happen with minor linkage and stuff, but its hard to describe.

I have had this Idea for a long time and this was just a basic run down on it. I didnt care to put the Idea on here because of all the flamming, I just kept it on my garage walls till now.

there is a way to do this, anything is possible when it comes to cars.

BTW I think it would look awsome.

Cool, I'm glad I'm not the only idiot thinking about doing this. My design has the scoop mounted on some kind of box or plenum and using 4" alluminum tubing to bring it around to the TB, keeping all of the componenets pretty much under the hood. It won't be nearly as extensive as your set up. I might just go with a Hilborne style scoop if I can't get the butterfly issue solved in a pretty easy manner. I'm looking to do minimal fabbing and the least amount of disruption to the rest of the set up. Thanks for your input and good luck on the venture. I am only in the preliminary planning stages and it will be a while before it actually gets off the ground, but it will definitely posted up when the project gets started.

spedly

forum member
Reaction score
There are a few guys who have done that on the hemi cars with electronic throttlebodies. It looks like the attach a rod to the internals of the throttlebody somehow. the throttle body is mounted o the rh side of the blower on this challenger with the rod up to the butterflies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCA0SZubPp8

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back