Daily Driven Superchargers

dieselboy28

sick my duck
Reaction score
This isnt a which is best for more power thread what so ever.

This winter i am looking to get blown:clap: and I have been searching the web but havent found much on this exact question and was wondering what superchargers have proven them selves for lasting under constant daily driving and high miles per year. This year alone i have put 16000 miles on my car:tdown:. anyways, as far as superchargers go, do you think a roots style or a centrifugal would hoold up better? Im also open to the idea and been kicking it around that a turbo may be a great choice for this much driving. I have owned a turbo vehicle and have seen trucks and some cars get a shit ton of miles out of turbo systems with only minor repairs where as a supercharger you seem to run into costly rebuilds. Just looking for ideas and opinions as to what has been done and been seen. ideas?

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
i'm doing the same thong as you are doing and as far as i;ve been reading (about a year or so)i think that the procharger is the best way to go.but again thats me here's why:

its a centri ant the boost needs to build up to kick in its not instant like a twinscrew or roots,so you dont have to worry about tranny,cluch,

you dont have to worry about 8 rib conversions,and tensioner because it has a dedicated belt for the sc that even if it breaks on the highway you can still go home

its the the centri that kicks in at the lowest rpm than the other centris

and its the centri that sounds the best of all(jet sound)

as far as instalation it is air-air intercooler so you dont have to worry about water pumps hoses and all that junk(easy instalation)

and it still have the potential of up to 6-700 rwhp as long ans you have forged internals

SO THATS MY OPPINION BUT AGAIN I MIGHT BE WRONG!I'm saying this based on the researsh that i've been doing for a while now,but thers people here that know their shit so you'll get a lot of good ideas

good luck

Last edited:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1/2 right - I agree the centrifi's are the best for all around extra kick in the pants factory safety fun but I would not go with a procharger. The prochargers are air to air cooled and that does not equate well in stop and go driving conditions and daily driving summer weather or everyday if you live here in cali.

I'd definitely look for a water cooled unit like the paxton or vortech.

However, lot's and lot's of daily driven KB's and whipple's too so there really is no restriction to what blower can be a good daily driver.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
1However, lot's and lot's of daily driven KB's and whipple's too so there really is no restriction to what blower can be a good daily driver.
Not only KBs and Whipple's, but Saleen's as well.

Personally, I have over 30,000 miles on my KB (put it on at 16K... now have 46K on the odo).

habu

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've got the Whipple on my daily driver and while I don't nearly put that many miles on my car per year (around 9K/yr) I have not had any reliablity issues with the car since I've gotten blown.

SloSVO

Village Idiot
Reaction score
1/2 right - I agree the centrifi's are the best for all around extra kick in the pants factory safety fun but I would not go with a procharger. The prochargers are air to air cooled and that does not equate well in stop and go driving conditions and daily driving summer weather or everyday if you live here in cali.

I'd definitely look for a water cooled unit like the paxton or vortech.

However, lot's and lot's of daily driven KB's and whipple's too so there really is no restriction to what blower can be a good daily driver.

I differ... there is no difference in traffic in cooling cause either way its in traffic.. meaning how is the water going to get any cooler than the air thats going thru it?? it may even be worse.. as there are less transfer points of heat.. meaning cool the water and then cool the air.. as opposed to the air cooling the air..

:wtf: did i just say.. lol.. if its confusing.. it is..

on another side note.. funny how in the 5.0 days the centi were kings.. the roots/ts didn't have a chance.. but i guess the technology has come a long way

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
e

I differ... there is no difference in traffic in cooling cause either way its in traffic.. meaning how is the water going to get any cooler than the air thats going thru it?? it may even be worse.. as there are less transfer points of heat.. meaning cool the water and then cool the air.. as opposed to the air cooling the air..

:wtf: did i just say.. lol.. if its confusing.. it is..

on another side note.. funny how in the 5.0 days the centi were kings.. the roots/ts didn't have a chance.. but i guess the technology has come a long way

say what?!@# you lost me,so is the air-air better or air water better.and the other thing i found out is the centris are the ones that build the least heat.(am i right?)nad as far as air or water if the air was so bad they would've put a air water version to one of their kits(procharger) both HO and stage2 are air air so.......

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Remember one thing...

Remember one thing... 'safe'is an expensive word; kinda like 'fast'

No cheap way to be fast or safe.

:2cents:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have close to 30,000 miles on my Saleen setup at 12 psi.
I have made over 1,000 1/4 mile passes with it also. It is driven to and from every event and everywhere in between. It has run as low as 11.139 on roadrace suspension and a manual trans and besides the tensioner problems which I have solved it has been perfectly reliable.

If I were now in the market for a power adder I would wait for the release of the Techco since it is the same team that designed the Saleen to see what the results will be. My other choice would be twins.

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
e

I have made over 1,000 1/4 mile passes with it also. It is driven to and from every event and everywhere in between. It has run as low as 11.139 on roadrace suspension and a manual trans and besides the tensioner problems which I have solved it has been perfectly reliable.

If I were now in the market for a power adder I would wait for the release of the Techco since it is the same team that designed the Saleen to see what the results will be. My other choice would be twins.

do you have 8 rib or you are running all the stock 6rib pulleys

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
e

do you have 8 rib or you are running all the stock 6rib pulleys

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not only KBs and Whipple's, but Saleen's as well.

Personally, I have over 30,000 miles on my KB (put it on at 16K... now have 46K on the odo).

True - I forgot the saleen and it is definitely up there with daily drivers.

As far as the air to air procharger comment - no way if you live anywhere near heat.

Forgetting traffic - just driving along in average temp here which is 85º and summer which is 90+ makes a WORLD of difference in IAT's between the air to air and water. The procharger is not a good choice for any 'warm' state IMO.

Not to mention, you are getting NO cooling at all in traffic with air to air and with water to water, your pump is still running and the water is still circulating through the innercooler even at a stand still.

No way I'll ever be convinced air to air is better than water as far as daily driving discussions go. (race cars are another story)

Even Porsche finally came around and THEN they started shedding their mechanical reputation. Water > air ...unless of course were talking about the dakotas or Alaska or something and then of course, you have bigger problems than worrying about a blower for you car you can only drive half the year...lol

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
I've had a non-cooled Vortech system, a Vortech blower with a Paxton air-to-air cooler, and now a Saleen TS. All have been very reliable but I prefer the Saleen due to the cooling system and internal lubrication, which is now standard (I think) on the Vortech systems and Procharger.

FWIW I've been told by several people that the Procharger customer service sucks....... again FWIW.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whipple, almost 30K miles (car has almost 80K). 16 psi. No problems other then the belt once in a while (racing). I have only lost one on the street while not at the track. The Thump_rrr tensioner really helps with that.

SloSVO

Village Idiot
Reaction score
what im saying is that with ambient temp being 98* air to air or air to water it isn't going to go any lower than 98*.. and maybe having to cool the water, then having to cool the air thru cooler that is sitting in the middle of a v8 engine.. i don't see how that is better than a intercooler that is in the front of the car... Terminators are known for overheating under high temp conditions.. now Ice water to air is another story

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
what im saying is that with ambient temp being 98* air to air or air to water it isn't going to go any lower than 98*.. and maybe they having to cool the water to then have to cool the air in a cooler that is sitting in the middle of a v8 engine.. i don't see how that is better than a intercooler that is in the front of the car... Terminators are known for overheating under high temp conditions.. now Ice water to air is another story
In my way of thinking the air to air would be better because when you are still everything is heating up and when you start moving the outside air only has to cool the charged air and not the charged air and the heated water as well. JMO.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
but I would not go with a procharger. The prochargers are air to air cooled and that does not equate well in stop and go driving conditions and daily driving summer weather or everyday if you live here in cali.

What you soaking on 800hp chump? Only over heat issue I had was when I had an air bubble in the cooling system. Everyone knows a 3 core front mount intercooler will do a better job then the vortech can.. Yes.. if you fill it will ice it will be better... but ice melts fast in a 200 deg car. Also Procharger does offer a better one then that for 800+ cars...... unlike mine =-/

Damn.. I need to come on here more to school you punks :beer:

SloSVO

Village Idiot
Reaction score
In my way of thinking the air to air would be better because when you are still everything is heating up and when you start moving the outside air only has to cool the charged air and not the charged air and the heated water as well. JMO.

this is part of what my non-understandable rant is trying to say..lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back